Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, because it's so damn cold & snowy out, I've been doing way too much thinking - pre planning for my light project.

I need you guys to let me know if I'm going down the right path.

1 - I'm betting, (don't know for sure) that just changing the small very low power side marker bulb with a LED bulb may not cause hyper-flashing. Is this true? I have not read about anyone trying to install a Load Resistor Kit on them, that's why I'm thinking this.

2 - Rear Lights, looking for the best way to connect a Load Resistor Kit to JUST the blinker circuit (Thank you very much Kermit and bcope01 in Kermit's post on HOW TO: Taillight wiring for trailers/LED's & add-on LED light strip stop/turn lights, for the wire breakdown of the two rear light units.

Driver Side/Left Rear
Ground – All BROWN
Backup – YELLOW w/RED Stripe
Taillight – BROWN w/GRAY Stripe
[FONT=&quot]Combo Stop/Turn – BLACK w/WHITE Stripe [/FONT]

Passenger Side/Right Rear
Ground – All BROWN
Backup – YELLOW w/ RED stripe
Taillight – GRAY w/GREEN Stripe
[FONT=&quot]Combo Stop/Turn – BLACK w/ GREEN Stripe[/FONT]

Looking at the above wire breakdowns, the Ground (-) is shared, a common ground for three circuits (hot's)

I'm thinking after looking at the install doc for the Load Resistor Kit.

Tail Light Load Resistor Kit | Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/load_resistor_info.pdf

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to isolate the load and only handle the circuit for the Combo Stop/Turn. To use the optional install for the ground wire and connect this wire from the resister to the frame / chassis. In doing that you're not having the resistor handling the heat from all three circuits, just the Combo Stop/Turn circuit.

Is my thinking correct on this?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I haven't gotten deeply enough into this to get involved in load resistors. I will offer what experience I have without that though.

On the rear of the car, turn signals, brake lights, back up lights, license plate lights, 3rd brake light ... LEDs I've bought have presented no problem.

Front of the car, LEDs in the parking lights, no problem.

I have encountered hyperflashing when attempting to go LED in the side marker lights though. And that was one of your concerns. This is the same bulb as the front parking lights.

And, others have noted hyperflashing problems with LEDs in the rear turn signals, even though I have not.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My experience:

#1 : Just changing the sidelight repeaters to LED isn't enough to trigger the dreaded Hyper-Flash. Changing the fronts and/or rears to LEDs is certainly enough to.

#2 : Connect one wire from your ballast resistor to the signal wire on the signal plug, and connect the other wire to a good, solid, paint-free mechanical chassis ground near the tail lamp. Do Not connect it to the ground wire on the plug.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
My experience:

#1 : Just changing the sidelight repeaters to LED isn't enough to trigger the dreaded Hyper-Flash. Changing the fronts and/or rears to LEDs is certainly enough to.

#2 : Connect one wire from your ballast resistor to the signal wire on the signal plug, and connect the other wire to a good, solid, paint-free mechanical chassis ground near the tail lamp. Do Not connect it to the ground wire on the plug.

WHY...???

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thank you very much.

In confirming what I was thinking, and now I have another use for my Dremel.

In no other post on this subject, or related subjects, (that I could find) states this clearly.

:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I changed out my front turn signal bulbs yesterday with LED's from SM and no hyper flashing then I changed out the rear bulbs to LED's and I got hyper flashing, If I put a load resistor on the back wiring harness is that going to be enough to correct this hyper flashing or will I need to get to the front wiring also. The reason I say this as most of you know the back is a LOT easier axcess. I know years ago you could get a load resistor that went into the fuse panel that would take care of this. What size load resistor will I need to solve this problem and if I do nothing and have hyper flashing is it going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
LED flasher relay?

Has anyone tried to replace the two regular flasher relay's with ones that support LEDs? From what I've read this is supposed to eliminate the need for the extra resistors.

superbrightleds.com lists several on their that might do the trick.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
if I remember ( on my 09 atleast) the flasher relay is in the sam ( not plug and play) and that is why I used the resistors. I checked into this because I use my blinker bulbs as DRL and the continuous power draw of the DRL would burn up a standard resistor. so, before I had custom resistors made I looked into replacing the 2 relays that plug into the sam. My guess is one is for the 4 way flashers, and one is for the blinkers but not the relay that controls the hyper-flashing.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I changed out my front turn signal bulbs yesterday with LED's from SM and no hyper flashing then I changed out the rear bulbs to LED's and I got hyper flashing ...
So odd, it seems to me. Can someone explain why results are exactly the opposite? Hyper front, normal rear? Also, someone said they didn't get hyper with the side marker lights, but I do. Mine's a 2008. Maybe some changes between model years.

·
Registered
292 Posts
if I remember ( on my 09 atleast) the flasher relay is in the sam ( not plug and play) and that is why I used the resistors.
On the ED at least there are a set of relay / flasher like boxes plugged into some sockets just behind the SAM. By behind I mean further into the footwell, closer to the front of the car.

I'l try to dig out some pictures.

Update:

Here's a photo:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wonder why no one, since it is a common problem, built a load or resistor into an led bulb so that we wouldn't have to do this extra stuff. Cost prohibitive or to complex. ?? Also why is there such a difference in price for what looks like the same resistor.??

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wonder why no one, since it is a common problem, built a load or resistor into an led bulb so that we wouldn't have to do this extra stuff. Cost prohibitive or to complex. ?? Also why is there such a difference in price for what looks like the same resistor.??
They exist on ebay as "canbus error free" units.

However, since one of the main ideas with the LEDs is to save power, adding the resistors is a bit of a waste of power and money.

Which is why the relay replacement looks like a better path.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If someone has install these load resistors in the rear, please post pictures on where it was mounted and did you splice the ground side of the resistor to the ground wire of the plug or to the car frame. Thanks

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I wonder if anyone might know the answer to my questions in post number 13. There are clear differences. Is my car a freak?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts