Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are interested in wringing the highest number of miles out of each gallon of gas in your smart, check out this smart review & test drive report at CleanMPG by Wayne Gerdes.

Here's a great introduction to hypermiling by the man who coined the term. Some of the techniques are questionable safety-wise, but undoubtedly can reduce fuel usuage substantially.

Can any hypermilers out there explain in step-by-step detail exactly how the "Forced AutoStop" and "Pulse & Glide" techniques are best applied with the smart's clutchless transmission?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nice to see you join us. Please check previous threads as this subject is already covered and you are free to add to that thread.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Question in this article?

... check out this post at CleanMPG by Wayne Gerdes.
Question to the forum: Wayne states in this article "I would not expect any deals either as there is only a 7.5% markup over invoice with a 2.x% incentive (similar to but not the same as holdback). There is not much breathing room at that low a cost." He is talking about buying a smart. Can anyone please explain what he means? incentive? holdback? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,832 Posts
Dealer holdback; most manufacturers do this by paying 3% (or close to that) of either the retail or invoice price to the dealer up front to cover costs of maintaining an inventory of cars. Most holdbacks are eaten up after a car sits at the dealership about 90 days, so you have more bargaining room if you buy when the holdback payments arrive (every quarter I think.) So, if you buy in the first few days of the quarter a dealer can theoretically make money even selling at invoice.

I'm not in the business so feel free to correct any errors above. :)

BTW, 7.5% markup seems like plenty of room to me; most deals should be as close to invoice as possible (2-3% above), although the smart will go at MSRP unless demand really falls off.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
also, if one turns the key off, engine off, going down a long, say, 4 mile downhill stretch, does it hurt the engine or transmission or fuel pump, or anything to do this? (infinity mpg without damage would be nice.
[/URL]
Don't try this if you have the power assist. You will have difficulty steering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts