Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Smart ForTwo AT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I bought a smart car for a great deal the other day (well I think). I paid $700 for this ‘11 Passion with an automatic trans. The previous owner ran it without oil and the motor locked up. I did some research and found a motor with 40k for $1600.

I decided first to try and get it to run before I dropped $1600 on a motor. It ran but she was knocking and banging, oh and smoking a little. 😂

I was able to drive it down the driveway and back in the garage but it shut off on the way out and didn’t stay running on the way back in.

I’ve always wanted a smart car but being 6’ tall and not skinny I was always worried about interior room.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and gals about this great little car.

I used a Camry and a 5x8 utility trailer to tow it home 😂 I hope the ForTwo is as reliable and fun to drive as my Camry is.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Fret not my friend! My 1st Smart was an Aught 8 451. The gentleman that own Katerina before me was 6'3" and he drove quite comfortably! Talking about your grenaded powerplant; one of my troops spoke of a guy who went to Canada. Purchased a Smart diesel and brought the original gasses back to US and sold for a decent price! Going from 35-42mpg to a whopping 80mpg justified the surgery.

·
Registered
2011 Smart ForTwo AT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fret not my friend! My 1st Smart was an Aught 8 451. The gentleman that own Katerina before me was 6'3" and he drove quite comfortably! Talking about your grenaded powerplant; one of my troops spoke of a guy who went to Canada. Purchased a Smart diesel and brought the original gasses back to US and sold for a decent price! Going from 35-42mpg to a whopping 80mpg justified the surgery.
Nice, wish I would’ve thought about the Diesel swap. I think maybe in the future I’ll do an engine swap, maybe the overrated Busa swap. For now though I’ll just put the original gas motor in. Motor should be here this week sometime. My son and I are going to try and drop the cradle and all this weekend to pull the old motor. Found a massive exhaust leak so I’m gonna build a custom exhaust for it too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Apparently the guy went on "vacation" in Canada where the repair shop pulled the gasser. INSTALLED the diesel engine and placed the gas one in the back. Win win for everyone!

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
I would love to see the work to get a 450's diesel engine to work in what I presume to be a 451 chassis. Just transfer over all of the computers and associated guts, too? Or did the guy drive up there in a G&K 450 to have the conversion done? Either way, definitely a story I want to hear.

Welcome to the site Neon_Guy! I'm curious how long the previous owner ran the engine without oil for. I accidentally ran mine without oil for 600-ish miles after cracking the oil pan off-road. Filled it up with the good stuff and it's run great ever since.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi neon_guy I know how your feeling about the smoking smart.
I got mine back last year and sadly a month afterwards it started smoking bad like yours.
Thankfully I got a service contract through the dealer I got it from so it’s getting a replacement engine(I would’ve likely done it myself had I not got the service contract)
It’s definitely a fun little car with more room then it’s outward appearance makes you think it has.
Hang in there you’ll get it fixed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Agreed. The seating room in the smart is pretty amazing. Kind of like the TARDIS, it seems. Or the proverbial clown car. It seems to have as much leg room as my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood. Headroom isn't bad either.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That’s the truth especially given it’s size.
I had a 03 Escalade and I’m surprised the smart beats it in headroom and meets it in leg room.
Nobody would ever think such a small car would have so much space.

·
Registered
2011 Smart ForTwo AT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think I’ll be good, I’ve drove it down the driveway and back after smoking out the garage. I’m 6’ and 225lbs. I still kind of wish I get the drivers seat to go back another inch or two.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You have a tonneau cover for the back? The mesh part has Velcro, but you can gain there by raising to the threshold of the engine compartment plateau.

·
Registered
2011 Smart ForTwo AT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a tonneau cover for the back? The mesh part has Velcro, but you can gain there by raising to the threshold of the engine compartment plateau.
I do not, I’ve found a couple guys online and these forums that have either modified the bracket or added an additional bracket that moves the mounting point back an inch or two.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you have a 453 the Oval ring thing adjust the tilt. There's the rear seat pump lever. Push down numerous times to raise and lift up to slam. I'm short 5'6" so mine is $¡ammed____!

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
Yeah I think I’ll be good, I’ve drove it down the driveway and back after smoking out the garage. I’m 6’ and 225lbs. I still kind of wish I get the drivers seat to go back another inch or two.
One thing you can do is force the seat to recline further. A little metal tab keeps it from fully reclining. All you have to do is have one hand pulling up the seat back lever while the other hand forces it past the maximum. Boom infinite recline.

Reactions: Neon_Guy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts