Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Encountered a baseball sized piece of concrete construction debris in the middle of the road this morning. Glancing blow to one of my rear 17 inch wheels. Thought I’d hit a land mine or something. Bent the lip of the rim in a little. Caught it by the spoke, which lessened it, I think. Didn’t even notice it at first. Went back and removed the debris from the road. From what I’ve seen online, the damage should be repairable without too much trouble. Going to call a place tomorrow. If need be I have two spare 15 inch wheels ready to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
:cry: I'm all too familiar with that sensation. One of my rear wheels has been cracked and poorly welded, and bent enough on the inner lip that the leak is unpredictable. Sometimes it'll hold air for 2 weeks, sometimes just two days. I bought another set of wheels, but FedEx is running into delays moving them coast to coast.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
That looks repairable. Cracks on the other hand would be a reason to recycle. I’m feeling your pain , that is a horrible experience to go through. I can see by your painted drum brakes you care for your car. It’s the little things that count .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mixed bag of Continentals up front and Hankook in the back. Same 175/55/15 all around, but clearly not the same dimensions between brands.
Clearly! lol I expect the rear wheel arch exacerbates the impression, but the Continentals look like they belong in the back. Does it make any difference visually?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Clearly! lol I expect the rear wheel arch exacerbates the impression, but the Continentals look like they belong in the back. Does it make any difference visually?

Here they are again, off the car. The far right is also a 15", with a Yokohama 175/65 tire. I think the busier sidewall on the Hankook makes it appear like a thinner sidewall than the Continental next to it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 63169

Here they are again, off the car. The far right is also a 15", with a Yokohama 175/65 tire. I think the busier sidewall on the Hankook makes it appear like a thinner sidewall than the Continental next to it.
After hitting the chunk of concrete with the 215/35 R17, I’m coming to appreciate more of a sidewall.

I think you’re right, the Hankook just looks thinner. It’s very pronounced.

I just got a fifth Brabus 15 myself. Junkyard had it listed as a regular 4.5 Smart rim, but it is in fact a 5.5 Brabus. One without the rim bead, which matches my four. Sadly, its mate was destroyed in the accident that claimed the car. But one is better than none, and it cleaned up pretty well. I have a Hankook donut spare behind the passenger seat of all three of my Smarts, but I have a spare Continental 175/55 that I think I’ll put on it, since it isn’t directional.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts