Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new here.
I am living in Canada.
I just saw great deal of used 2016 Smart Fortwo with only 50000mileage for $6500, so I am thinking to buy one.

what do you think about 2016 smart? is it the best year of smart?
I just wonder if it is still worth to buy 2016 Smart Fortwo in 2021.

ah, the one thing I really wanna know is, what is differences between 2016 and 2017 smart.

please tell me your opinion.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
51 Posts
Looking for a petrol smart I take it. Not much change for 2017, but may still have a little warranty on a 2017. Price looks pretty good, especially if in CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking for a petrol smart I take it. Not much change for 2017, but may still have a little warranty on a 2017. Price looks pretty good, especially if in CD.
thank you for info. I have never driven RWD. I hope it is not difficult to drive in rainy or snowy weather....

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
51 Posts
thank you for info. I have never driven RWD. I hope it is not difficult to drive in rainy or snowy weather....
Rain, no problem. Snow, I think the small light has more effect than the RWD. You will want winter snow tyres if you do a lot of snow driving. I bought an electric model, so plan to keep it in the garage when below 0 C.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rain, no problem. Snow, I think the small light has more effect than the RWD. You will want winter snow tyres if you do a lot of snow driving. I bought an electric model, so plan to keep it in the garage when below 0 C.
As it has traction control, rain won't be problem, I guess. Anyway, I found out why the 2016 Smart with only 54k mileage was that cheap is, do you know Car2go company? they left Canada on last year, so this Ford dealership bought so many 2016 Smart cars from Car2go. All of them has low mileage. So I feel it is great deal. I hope it won't have any problem.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
51 Posts
I wonder if I ever drove that one in Vancouver? Did they get all of the remnants of Car2Go out? There have been a lot of the old C2G cars re-sold, and some better prepped than others. You might want to look at this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if I ever drove that one in Vancouver? Did they get all of the remnants of Car2Go out? There have been a lot of the old C2G cars re-sold, and some better prepped than others. You might want to look at this thread.
oh thank you for link! I am not the only one buying C2G haha. Yeah they have 10 of them look exactly identical.... All of them have same color, same year, same everything. just slightly different price range. good thing is, my salesperson already told me it was C2G smart. All of them has similar mileage about between 50k to 55k. Price range between $6500 to $8800. They have 30days/2000km exchange policy and no charge 6month warranty, I think this is for powertrain warranty. I hope I can pick good one..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you will need to drive in the snow, as long as it isn’t too deep, RWD plus traction control and weight of the motor and transmission in the rear makes for good traction. As mentioned, definitely get a set of Winter tires If you will be driving a lot in snow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you will need to drive in the snow, as long as it isn’t too deep, RWD plus traction control and weight of the motor and transmission in the rear makes for good traction. As mentioned, definitely get a set of Winter tires If you will be driving a lot in snow.
How about snow socks or chains?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
51 Posts
How about snow socks or chains?
I would consider that "emergency use only". I had super-expensive low-profile chains and 4-season tyres for my MINI. I had to use them once, and they were worth it to get home safely that day, but I never would have planned on them as means for daily driving in snow.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve driven my 2008 in deep western NY, Vermont, and Montreal snow with all-weather tires (not snow tires). If you keep your tires new-ish with ample tread, it handles snow relatively well.

When I was in Northern Italy/Austria/Germany, Smart 451s were everywhere driving in the snow-covered alps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve driven my 2008 in deep western NY, Vermont, and Montreal snow with all-weather tires (not snow tires). If you keep your tires new-ish with ample tread, it handles snow relatively well.

When I was in Northern Italy/Austria/Germany, Smart 451s were everywhere driving in the snow-covered alps.
that sounds really good! but as this car is for city, it is better to stay away from highway in winter right?
I like smart. so fancy both exterior and interior.
then do you know what is good tread depth that I should maintain?

·
Registered
515 Posts
that sounds really good! but as this car is for city, it is better to stay away from highway in winter right?
I like smart. so fancy both exterior and interior.
then do you know what is good tread depth that I should maintain?
In NY, legal depth is 1/16-inch, but I replace my tires at 1/8 depth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts