Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2009 Smart Twofor Passion, didn't realize the car did not come equipped with a spare tire and minimal space to store one in the car. That'll teach me to assume anything. haha

Otherwise, I totally LOVE the car (and this forum), yet I'm a bit flummoxed about not having a spare . . . Will AAA even service me ?

On a general note, what is the manufacturer's premise about putting a car on the road without a spare tire ?

On a practical note, what are suggestions for dealing with a flat tire ?

JEM

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are members who do carry spares, I've noted the following:
Kumho T21 temporary spare - 125/80R15 95M mounted on a steel 4.5 rim - supposedly fits behind the passenger's seat!
Other sizes I've looked at are: 135/70R15, 125/80R15

Do note however, that I have not tried this myself (considered, just haven't)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
There are a number of cars that don't provide a spare, especially in the company car market. Smart, like most of them, instead provide a bottle of sealant and a small cigarette lighter powered air compressor. I'd hopefully never have to use the sealant, but the little compressor sure comes in handy. If it wasn't pointed out to you, it can be found towards the front of the passenger side footwell, under the floor mat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep, our 2004 Mazda RX8 does not have a spare. It was an option that you could purchase along with a special rack to mount it in the trunk, thus taking up most of the trunk space.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
You can add one to the rear of your car. Bettering then waiting a hour for a tow truck to come. Some smart owners were able to slip a front tire, on a steel wheel. Behind the rear drivers seat. I had a factory smart jack kit I bought from the smart dealership. Like the majority of New cars on the road. Smart offer a sealant kit, air compressor under the Passenger Floor panel. You can use that, if you have a flat tire.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’m like Oliver here(both smart and rx8 owner) whiles it’s possible to carry a spare in the smart without sacrificing much space with it behind the passenger seat it’s not so easy to have a spare in the 8 without it eating into the trunk space.(still love both cars despite that)
I have roadside service on my insurance(for both cars) and hum from Verizon in the 8 for that very reason since I don’t have the spare(I have the bracket but I doubt I’ll install it now that I’ve seen it’s size)
Though I do plan on keeping my current wheels when I get different wheels for the smart so I have spares for it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Mercedes S-class also does not have a spare tire, so we are in good (expensive) company :). The standard tires for the S-class are 'run-flat' tires.

That is fine unless the tire is shredded by a road hazard, then you are in worse condition than the smart, since no one but MB dealers carries the correct size.

-Barry-

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,661 Posts
The last vehicle I owned with a spare tire was a new 2004 Dodge dually. I have had many cars since with no spare, from Corvette to smart, no issues so far.

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
It's actually quite common for cars to come without spares nowadays. The logic appears to be that a compressor and sealant should be enough to get you to a tire shop. That allows the manufacturer to delete the spare tire, saving weight and not having to package an area to fit it.

I carry both tire sealant and a spare. BOTH came in handy this weekend when I blew two tires. The sealant got the first tire patched up enough to make it to a tire shop to fix the leak. The spare came in handy when I blew a tire on a trail and the hole was too big for sealant. My spare is a front wheel and tire from a first generation (450) car. Fits snug behind the driver seat and when mounted to the car it rides just like a factory tire. I drove the car about 700 miles home like this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the actual reason they stopped including the spare is due to fuel credits on the epa mpg ratings.
The companies do that so they can lower the bar for said vehicle(s) to make it easier on them to lower the cost.
Google it you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently purchased a 2009 Smart Twofor Passion, didn't realize the car did not come equipped with a spare tire and minimal space to store one in the car. That'll teach me to assume anything. haha

Otherwise, I totally LOVE the car (and this forum), yet I'm a bit flummoxed about not having a spare . . . Will AAA even service me ?

On a general note, what is the manufacturer's premise about putting a car on the road without a spare tire ?

JEM

JEM
I use my smart to tow behind my motor home. Before a trip to Alaska last year I put together a spare tire. Bought a front rim on amazon and had a tire mounted at Walmart. Front rim is not as wide as rear. Spare fits behind the drivers seat with plenty of room for driver. Problem solved.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Edp once I get my aftermarket wheels for mine(one of my stock wheels are warped) I’ll likely keep them as extras so I can carry one as a spare.
I have a few small jacks that will work for the car so I’ll likely keep one in the car along with some tools should I ever need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

JEM
If you are interested I have a spare wheel and tire for both front and rear. Bought them for my wife’s 2008. Don’t fit the 2017. Kept them in the garage and plan was to just have her tow the car home or take the spare to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Passion. It has the compressor and sealant under the passenger floorboards, I am told, but I've never looked. What I did was get a small, cigarette lighter compressor and stuck it in the back in the trunk door compartment. The chances are that your flat tire is not so badly damaged that you couldn't pump it up and drive (carefully) to a tire shop. That will save waiting around for AAA to show up - at least an hour where I am located.

I would say, though, that when I replaced tires for the Smart, they were never in stock. Oh, I'm sure the dealer has them ($$$$). But my local NTW had to order them. And, they are "staggered" tires - that is, the fronts are rears are different sizes - how convenient(!).

In my case, I once had a flat. I pumped it up, drove to the local NTW, they put in a patch until I could order new tires. It was time for replacements, anyway.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts