Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive had the CEL go on and off on its own for a few months. It was throwing code P0497 which a simple search here will reveal is not that big of a deal. In any case the light has been steady on for about three weeks.

Fast forward to last night when realized that my inspection sticker expires Monday and it worried me because in NY state you can't pass the inspection if you show up with a lit CEL. So today I went to autozone to confirm all I had was code P0497 but sure enough I also had a second code: P0900. The one for the clutch actuator. On the threads here I found that there is a way to clean it and give it some maintenance before having to replace it. My problem of course is time. Given my crazy work schedule and that I don't have my own driveway or garage it would take me more than a few days to figure out when and where Ill be able to work on the clutch actuator, and definitely is not happening by Monday.

So I went on a mission, determined to find a shady mechanic somewhere in NY City who would give me the inspection sticker for some extra $$. Spent all afternoon on it but I found one. The whole thing had the feeling of a seedy early 90's inner city street drug deal, but I digress.

He placed the sticker, I paid him, I bought some time to fix the clutch actuator without risking a ticket, all is good, I go home.

I come back down to get on my way to work, I turn the key, the engine is on... and the CEL...is OFF!!! :bangwall::crying::bangwall: I love my smart but geez ...

The story of my life.

I accept any thread title suggestions >:D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here is a title for you:

How I Comitted A Unlawful Fraud Against The Government & Posted It On The Internet For All To See.

Doing business with unqualified, unlicensed and unlawful shops does harm to all the professional businesses who follow all the rules and regulations in an effort to give good service to their clients.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do agree with your suggestions. Is almost as if the smart decided to teach me a lesson for trying to beat the system.

The one thing I'm wondering is why after three or more weeks of a constant on CEL, it suddenly went off. My only guess is that we had heavy rain going on yesterday and some of that water may have cleared or cleaned those sensors.

We had a rough winter with snow, slush and salt still on the ground and that rain may have done the trick. I guess I will take the smart for an undercarriage wash and I'm still planning on doing the posted maintenance on the clutch actuator. I'm figuring it can't hurt. .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts