Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all ED owners,

When you turn your ED off do you leave the AC button on (red light ON) or do you turn it off? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that if I leave the AC button ON when I turn the car to off and remove the key, the light remains on and when I charge the car it makes the a noise like the AC is running. I read in the manual that it is normal for the water pump to run and cool the batteries while charging but here's the part that confuses me. If I get inside the car while it's charging and I turn the AC button to OFF then the noise stops. So I'm not sure if by turning the AC light to OFF I'm also turning off the battery cooling operation while charging.

I looked in the manual and it only explains the AC button operation for Air Cooling but does't say anything about leaving the AC On/OFF when turning the car off and how this could affect the battery cooling operation.

Thanks,

·
Registered
922 Posts
Since no one has yet responded and I don't have my Smart ED yet, let me take a guess and see if my reading comprehension from scouring this forum, is good.

I understand the "AC" button does not mean what it typically does to an American. "AC" means condition of the air, both heating and cooling, and that the button needs to be on in case you want the car to be preheated or precooled upon your departure. I believe the battery pack will be heated or cooled as necessary separate from the cabin heating and cooling. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm trying to learn all this stuff too for a vehicle I don't quite yet have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,758 Posts
"AC" means condition of the air, both heating and cooling, and that the button needs to be on in case you want the car to be preheated or precooled upon your departure.
Yup, pretty intuitive for a soon to be ED owner except that the red "AC" light means that air conditioning (or defrost) will be available for climate control at selected departure time . . .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
and that the button needs to be on in case you want the car to be preheated or precooled upon your departure.
No. the departure preheat function works with the "AC" button light off. The temperature and fan controls can be off too. I have never tried a departure pre-cool - it is never warm enough when charging in the morning to need it. I'm not an AC addict - I only use it when it is genuinely hot and very humid.

Preheat/pre-cool only only works when the car is plugged in for charging, right? It would be counterproductive (drain the battery pack excessively) to use it any other time.

Right now, the AC is not working in my car at all. I get it worked on during the 2-year battery pack check/state inspection. But that a different subject.

Dennis, what was the temperature when you observed this behavior?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Sounds like a problem. Shouldn't turn off when you press the A/C button, cabin cooling shouldn't be on while the car is off as well. The light should not be on when you get back in the car, (which I'm assuming you mean a while later.)

Yinzer, I'd get that looked at sooner than later. Might affect keeping the EV battery at the right temperature.... (Says the man who's wife's C-MAX Energi has lost some range...) AC also works to dehumidify in cold weather. Sometimes owner's manuals reference keeping it on even in the cold. My parents are in their 80s and whenever I borrow their car I'll set it to Auto and AC on. This does help with visibility in cold weather when the windows get cloudy....

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
Shouldn't turn off when you press the A/C button, cabin cooling shouldn't be on while the car is off as well. The light should not be on when you get back in the car, (which I'm assuming you mean a while later.)
Cabin conditioning (pre cool/heat) while on THE GRID doesn't begin until the preselected "departure" time and then runs for a factory preset period.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Cabin conditioning (pre cool/heat) while on THE GRID doesn't begin until the preselected "departure" time and then runs for a factory preset period.

Are you sure? Although I haven't needed to try this feature, I thought that cabin conditioning would automatically turn on 10 to 15 minutes prior to a driver's pre-selected departure time. It would seem counterintuitive for the system to delay conditioning until the Time of departure.

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
Are you sure? Although I haven't needed to try this feature, I thought that cabin conditioning would automatically turn on 10 to 15 minutes prior to a driver's pre-selected departure time. It would seem counterintuitive for the system to delay conditioning until the Time of departure.
This is not a perfect science - THE APP requests that you enter "Departure Time" and Climate Control finishes the HV charge while "conditioning" the cabin.

The cycle "start" time I believe is driven by multiple variables to include outside temperature?

Nope, NOT SURE but did once stay at a Holiday Inn Express . . .

·
Registered
471 Posts
My ED does this same thing. I'm glad someone asked this because I've wondered what this is. I just always turn it off on the way out of the car because I figured leaving it on has to consume power of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My ED does this same thing. I'm glad someone asked this because I've wondered what this is. I just always turn it off on the way out of the car because I figured leaving it on has to consume power of some sort.

Yes. I'm doing the same. I make sure it's turned off when I turn off the vehicle to keep whatever is "ON" from using power unnecessarily.

I'll have to ask the dealer if they know what is "ON" when the A/C light is red and the car is charging. I hope someone there can explain.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Weghing in here a little late, and probably with no helpful comments to add. But here I am, so here I go:

Weather here has been all over the map. Lows in the 30s, highs in the 50s one day, lows in the 50s and highs in the 90s the next. At least this has given me some experience. In brief:

* I normally turn off the A/C switch when parking the vehicle for a period of time.
* I've set the heat controls WITHOUT the A/C for pre-heating (and love getting in a warm car in the morning).
* I've set the A/C on the night before for pre-cooling. I walked out and heard the fan blowing its little heart out, which kind of surprised me, but the cab was cool when I got in and I was able to pretty much turn off the A/C for my drive.

I set the pre-departure climate controls through the "Charge and Depart" settings (or via the app). But I always make sure I've enabled either the temperature setting, the A/C and blower, or blower only before I exit the vehicle and lock it up for the night.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yinzer, I'd get that looked at sooner than later. Might affect keeping the EV battery at the right temperature.... (Says the man who's wife's C-MAX Energi has lost some range...) AC also works to dehumidify in cold weather. Sometimes owner's manuals reference keeping it on even in the cold.
I suspect that the cooling of the pack is only needed at very hot ambient temperatures (the manual says over 40C/104F), or if the car has the larger European charger. The AC compressor makes a distinct sound when it is running and I don't recall ever hearing it run (before it stopped working sometime over the winter) unless the AC was switched on to cool the cabin.

The main reason IC engine cars will cycle the AC on and off when the heat in so is to help keep compressor seals lubricated over the winter. It might help defogging in cool damp conditions but it is not that effective much below freezing since the dewpoint approaches the evaporator coil temperature. I've always found that heat only works fine and I have disabled the AC in winter in my IC engine car to help fuel economy (I didn't even have AC in my last two cars (80s and 90s Toyota P/U).

Running both heat and AC simultaneously in the Smart would be a huge energy drain.

Is your decline in range in the C-MAX Energi something actually measured or is it just an estimate from the car's computer - like that unreliable range indicator in the Smart? The Smart's range indicator causes more range anxiety than it prevents. I ignore it except as entertainment and instead just do a running mental range estimate using the trip odo (reset at 100% SOC) and the SOC gauge.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I have some vision issues, and my parents are in their 80s. While I appreciate saving energy, I'd prefer avoiding an accident. So if/since it does seem to work, I will use it as necessary.

Loss of EV range seems to be a known problem for C-MAXs charged in very hot weather it seems. It doesn't seem to be causing my wife to be getting gas more frequently enough that it is a concern for her. The instrument cluster measures her avg MPG to be 73.4 with the loss. I'm guessing it has stayed the same due to increased EV use.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have some vision issues, and my parents are in their 80s. While I
appreciate saving energy, I'd prefer avoiding an accident. So if/since
it does seem to work, I will use it as necessary.
By all means the windshield needs to be kept clear. We are probably talking about different levels of cold. When it is well below freezing, it can damage the AC if it is run (modern car ECU's probably disable it) becasue you get incomplete evaporation (or none at all below about -25C) in the evaporator, and it is also ineffective anyway.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
By all means the windshield needs to be kept clear. We are probably talking about different levels of cold. When it is well below freezing, it can damage the AC if it is run (modern car ECU's probably disable it) becasue you get incomplete evaporation (or none at all below about -25C) in the evaporator, and it is also ineffective anyway.

I've actually read that at a certain level of coldness it is disabled like you say. I don't think it mentioned a reason though. You definitely know your stuff!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try not to over think this

It is very simple

A/c light on, means the pre conditiining will be with the air con - it would take months if not years for that single LED to run down the 18(?) thousand watt batter pack... don't worry about a drain
A/c light off, the pre conditioning will be with the heater

The fan, and temp controls have no effect for pre conditioning - it will either heat or cool to 21c (72f) depending on if light is on or off.

From the car's control, you can only set departure time and pre conditioning on/off
it runs for 10 mins before the departure time - this has no effect on the battery charging stop time

Remote control through the VH PAGE allows "use climate control now" which will run the heat or cool for ten minutes

If the climate control activates with a full battery, it will call for power from the charging station, and turn it on, even if the battery is full.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try not to over think this

It is very simple

A/c light on, means the pre conditiining will be with the air con - it would take months if not years for that single LED to run down the 18(?) thousand watt batter pack... don't worry about a drain
A/c light off, the pre conditioning will be with the heater

The fan, and temp controls have no effect for pre conditioning - it will either heat or cool to 21c (72f) depending on if light is on or off.

From the car's control, you can only set departure time and pre conditioning on/off
it runs for 10 mins before the departure time - this has no effect on the battery charging stop time

Remote control through the VH PAGE allows "use climate control now" which will run the heat or cool for ten minutes

If the climate control activates with a full battery, it will call for power from the charging station, and turn it on, even if the battery is full.
Thank you all for this thread of posts as it answered why the A/C light on the button stays on after shutting the car off.

Could you please explain the pre-conditioning timer setting? I do not want any pre-conditioning to occur because I don't want to waste any energy from the charging station.
I don't see a setting to turn the pre-conditioning off. Only to change a time.

Any more information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Smart cars destined to hotter climates have a pack coolant chiller syatem which might come on when charging in hot weather. My smart's little ac light stays on for a while after parking and shutting the car off. It means nothing - probably a minor software bug.

Note that foolios comment about the 18k battery pack is not correct. The traction power is isolated in the pack when the car is switched off. But the 12V battery would power that little LED for years too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My battery cooler has been coming on a lot this month. My AC light doesn't come on, but obviously it's running because you can hear it. Also I charged it on a lvl 2 charger in the middle of the day when it was 110f. The car said it was fully charged, but then when I started it, the battery was only at 95%. I believe it won't charge to 100% in extreme heat.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The 451 and 453 are different systems and I hope some folks aren't discussing one model while others are discussing the other. I see some disagreement which makes me wonder if some are referring to the 451 and others the 453. Which model is being discussed in this thread? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts