Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the lease on my Benz ran out last week, and my 2017 Cabrio is not in. The dealer loaned me a 2016 Passion coupe automatic while my Cabrio gets here, hopefully only another week or two.

It's hazel brown with black cell. Not a color I would have chosen, but it's a free loaner so I can't complain. This thing is pretty slick, a lot faster than I would have thought. Drove it in sport mode almost exclusively on the way home.

I've seen ONE other 453 on the road in Tsmpa. Where are you all hiding? :shrug:

·
Registered
253 Posts
So the lease on my Benz ran out last week, and my 2017 Cabrio is not in. The dealer loaned me a 2016 Passion coupe automatic while my Cabrio gets here, hopefully only another week or two.

It's hazel brown with black cell. Not a color I would have chosen, but it's a free loaner so I can't complain. This thing is pretty slick, a lot faster than I would have thought. Drove it in sport mode almost exclusively on the way home.

I've seen ONE other 453 on the road in Tsmpa. Where are you all hiding? :shrug:
Bought a 17 cab over the phone last week. Flying from Boise to Florida this sunday to drive it back 3,000 miles. Kamaal Peterson (good man) really tried to help me find this car & I'm sure he would have, just couldn't stomach the Calif sales tax.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where in Florida did you get it? Hopefully this means mine is coming very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Bought a 17 cab over the phone last week. Flying from Boise to Florida this sunday to drive it back 3,000 miles. Kamaal Peterson (good man) really tried to help me find this car & I'm sure he would have, just couldn't stomach the Calif sales tax.

Congratulations – that sounds like a fun trip!

You can buy a car in California without being subject to California sales tax, as long as you're not a resident here.

However, you'd still be subject to sales tax in your home (legal residence) state of Idaho, using your example, at the prevailing tax rate of that state.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congratulations – that sounds like a fun trip!

You can buy a car in California without being subject to California sales tax, as long as you're not a resident here.

However, you'd still be subject to sales tax in your home (legal residence) state of Idaho, using your example, at the prevailing tax rate of that state.
Steven, I have bought cars in many other states to bring them back, however CA seems to be a different animal. talked with the MB folks at West Covina told me that if the car rolls off the lot I must pay CA taxes. 11.2% as opposed to ID 6%. I even taled w/ ID & CA dmv. same story. I would have loved to buy from Kamaal. Anyway when I get back the car will be broken in!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My experience has been that they can deliver it to you in another state. Like over the border in Nevada and not charge you the CA tax.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My experience has been that they can deliver it to you in another state. Like over the border in Nevada and not charge you the CA tax.
Lowell, that's true, By the time I would pay for shipping and paperwork hassle etc. I decided to fly to florida on airline miles see old military friends across the country & make an adventure out of it. Hell I've got nothing better to do!!!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I bought one of my smarts in Ontario. I paid Ontario sales taxes but they were fully refunded once I exported the car to British Columbia and proved that it had been registered here. Perhaps it's the same with California, they send a rebate?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Depends on whether on not there is a reciprocal agreement between the two states or countries. Some folks get hit with paying sales tax for both purchase and home localities if there isn't an agreement. Most likely you will still pay sales tax for your home state no matter where you purchase.

·
Registered
95 Posts
lol you american's make me laugh at times!

I think most people would flip at prices up here in Canada, BEFORE the 13% sales tax and top 10 most expensive insurance on the continent :/

·
Registered
47 Posts
lol you american's make me laugh at times!

I think most people would flip at prices up here in Canada, BEFORE the 13% sales tax and top 10 most expensive insurance on the continent :/
Don't forget some provinces have an added gas tax. Which was the final push moving me off my 97 Sierra to my '15 451.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't forget some provinces have an added gas tax. Which was the final push moving me off my 97 Sierra to my '15 451.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk
Luckily even with ontario rates, I pay $20-25 a week on gas. If I go crazy it's a "whopping" $30

A lot less than a bus pass!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts