Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably that I'm trying to quit smoking, but I finally snapped. I told everyone on facebook that by the time they think it'd be cute, funny, informative, or in any way original to post something smart related to my wall, I've seen whatever they've found at least a dozen times, and I'm completely out of ways to make them feel cute, funny, informative or original. So, just don't. After 6 years of it never getting old to those who don't own a smart, it got old to me. MAN it felt good....

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It's probably that I'm trying to quit smoking, but I finally snapped.

After 6 years of it never getting old to those who don't own a smart, it got old to me. MAN it felt good....
MOST people just don't get smart (or the fortwo either?). :confused:

Very little original "human touch" stuff on FB since becoming a copy, paste, like website of cute pix and "read it on the internet" misinformation.

:bigthumbup: Stay the course, don't let your emotions toward FB derail you from your lifestyle improvements. :yelclap:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Two different trains of thought:
This is your admiring public. They took the time to lift a finger to share something with you because they thought it would make you smile, wince, whatever... because they like, enjoy, or CARE about you.

On the other hand: Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Drives me nuts as well. We've had Smarts up here since 06 and people still point and laugh and ask stupid questions. I had a guy ask me if it was safe to drive a Smart on the highway.

·
17,350 Posts
Sometimes, I play with people for my own amusement...

Pumping Petrol

Random person:
"Hey...Is that electric?"

Me: *Stares at the nozzle in the car* "Yeah! It gets like 41-45 MPG too!"

*Person walks away, scratching head.*

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't fight with them, but i have quietly unfriended and blocked people who act that way. Usually, it's not just because they bash my little car. I can just not approve those comments. It's more that they are just useless people who never post anything I want to read anyway.

The same people who call someone a douche for driving a hummer (because it's a giant 8000 pound incapable pile of crap that gets 14 mpg), don't seem to scale their political views past vehicles the size of a Civic. Somehow, that's the range of their environmental correctness. In the end, with these people, I believe that it comes down to simple jealousy. They see the cars at both ends of the spectrum as toys that they do not have. It makes them feel inadequate, and they lash out. I know that before I owned a smart, and I saw someone driving one, I always assumed they were well off, and that they also had a "normal" car. I didn't see the utility in a smart at all, and never even considered that one could be a full time, 12000 mile a year, daily driver. I don't think that I'd have ever bought one had I not also had a truck in the driveway. Now, though, a year and 12000 miles later, that truck is just in my way most of the time. It is driven so infrequently, that my HOA thought it was inoperable, and tried to fine me for it.

People who don't own a smart, don't see them this way, though, and the jealousy leads to all sorts of infantile behavior.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
@MinnySmart :

I wish you success on giving up the stinkies. I smoked a carton per week for 35 years and became an instant, almost accidental, quitter. That was more than four years ago.

ProVari v2.5 Starter Kit, Charger upgrade, Tank upgrade and coils (5 PK), Juice.

They don't work for everyone, I think a lot of people try inferior products and get frustrated with poor performance. In the beginning, I did too. But, instead of giving up, I found better equipment.

Whatever works for you though. Every cigarette skipped is a victory! Smoke is the enemy, nicotine fairly benign. You'll begin to feel the benefits of not smoking very soon after quitting.

Hope you don't mind the tangent ... and hope you succeed by whatever means. Cold turkey is a PIA.

·
17,350 Posts
@MinnySmart :

I wish you success on giving up the stinkies. I smoked a carton per week for 35 years and became an instant, almost accidental, quitter. That was more than four years ago.

ProVari Variable Voltage Starter Kit V2.5

starter kits

E Liquid

They don't work for everyone, I think a lot of people try inferior products and get frustrated with poor performance. In the beginning, I did too. But, instead of giving up, I found better equipment.

Whatever works for you though. Every cigarette skipped is a victory! Smoke is the enemy, nicotine fairly benign. You'll begin to feel the benefits of not smoking very soon after quitting.

Hope you don't mind the tangent ... and hope you succeed by whatever means. Cold turkey is a PIA.
I'm a non-smoker that started vaping a few months ago. I like to think of mine as a "portable hookah". I mainly buy E-Liquids without nicotine, though I have one with nicotine for bad days.

But yes, I definitely recommend vaping to anyone trying to abolish smoking!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I can't condone a non-smoker vaping Neon. But, if you must, stick to 0mg juice by all means!!

I don't feel it is a smart thing to do either way. Vaping may not be harmless even at 0mg. It is a reduced harm alternative to smoking. And most who want to give up nicotine completely find it easier to quit vaping than to quit tobacco cold turkey. I heartily recommend vaping as a smoking cessation aid ... not as an introduction.

·
17,350 Posts
Of course!

If it's any recourse, it's more of a weekend "hobby" more than anything. Like literally, only on the weekends. Definitely better than those nasty hookah lounges I used to linger around. The most nicotine I ever vaped is 6mg as well, because anything more is definitely NOT for me! :eek:

A friend of mine used to be a heavy smoker. I think I can say that vaping changed his life.

P.S. Don't worry, I have no interest at all in actual smoking. Even secondhand smoke makes me physically sick. The only appeal to me in vaping are the cool flavours. Other than that? Nothing. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sometimes, I play with people for my own amusement...

Pumping Petrol

Random person:
"Hey...Is that electric?"

Me: *Stares at the nozzle in the car* "Yeah! It gets like 41-45 MPG too!"

*Person walks away, scratching head.*

For my electric the conversation goes something like:

dude: "hey, it says electric on the back, no gas?"
me: "nope, just electricity, costs about 30 cents per day"
dude: "what happens when you run out of electricity?"
me: "I never do, I recharge it overnight"
dude: "huh, that would be inconvenient, I could never remember to recharge it every night" - says as he looks at his smart phone

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have thick skin. I hang out with bikers who love to pick on their brothers. I drive my smart when I'm not on my bike, so I show up at places all the time where there are plenty of "eco-haters." Their comments don't bother me. I either counter their comments to turn the ribbing to my favor, or just ignore it with a smile. I've actually had some guys say they'd never ride it one because they don't want to die... then I remind them that just moments ago, they were bragging about riding at 100 mph on two wheels without a helmet, let alone no safety cage, seat belt, air bags, etc... they get quiet quickly.

It just got annoying seeing the same "fart in a smart" or "little tykes smart" or "little cop car" or "deer walked away laughing" or whatever... over, and over, and over again.. each person thinking they're original and hilarious, and me feeling like I needed to laugh to stroke their egos... So I just essentially said "I've seen it. I've got nothing left to say about it. Stop posting to get a reaction from me."

Anyway... THANK YOU ALL for the encouraging comments regarding quitting smoking. I've not had a perfect week, I've cheated quite a bit, having about 3-4 smokes per day. I'm going to keep cheating through a big party tomorrow night, and then sleep all day Sunday and start fresh Monday. Getting excited!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I've not had a perfect week, I've cheated quite a bit, having about 3-4 smokes per day. I'm going to keep cheating through a big party tomorrow night, and then sleep all day Sunday and start fresh Monday. Getting excited!
Don't beat yourself up about sneaking a few stinkies on the road to quitting. You sound like you're determined. Each time you don't light up is a victory ... and is a challenge.

I'm pretty sure I'd still be smoking today if I hadn't stumbled on vaping. In the months that followed, I smoked cigarettes a couple of times, with weeks between. Each one got less enjoyable. The last one required an effort. Yuck!

Where I once couldn't conceive of myself being a non-smoker, now I can't imagine smoking. Don't rule vaping out. Nicotine isn't the real killer, smoke is. But, don't buy one of those cheap rip offs they sell at the convenience store either. Again, good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts