Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 2013 Brabus about two years ago and I've regretted that decision. Anyway, I found a 2009 with under 50k miles. Whereas my 2013 had the LED running lights and built in GPS, this one does not. So a few questions? Anything in particular to look for? I spoke with the seller and he is the third owner, clean CarFax with no accidents. Tires are new, rims have very little curb rash, recent oil change and the car looks very clean except for a small dent in the Tridium cell. How hard would it be to pull the radio out and put in a factory GPS like my 2013 had, are they plug and play? Also, If I buy it I'd like to replace the front bumper cowling to add the daytime driving lights. Is this doable as in plug and play?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As long as you have access to a MB star machine or clone to enable the sam to recognize the added lights and you have a switch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out from the current owner that even though this Brabus doesn't have the optional driving lights, the wiring harness is already there under the front bumper. Apparently, Smart pre-wires the cars just in case.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's not just in case, It's cheaper to buy one wiring harness for all the cars rather than have dedicated ones.
Yes even my 09 passion has the wiring harness no lights but the harness is there.
My dash does not have a operating button for the lights. You can add an aftermarket switch but until you take your car and have the Sam programmed for lights they will not work that programming requires a Mercedes-Benz Star machine or a clone. Car White Satellite radio Vehicle Steering part
I don't know how to rephrase for more clarity.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I sold my 2013 Brabus about two years ago and I've regretted that decision. Anyway, I found a 2009 with under 50k miles. Whereas my 2013 had the LED running lights and built in GPS, this one does not. So a few questions? Anything in particular to look for? I spoke with the seller and he is the third owner, clean CarFax with no accidents. Tires are new, rims have very little curb rash, recent oil change and the car looks very clean except for a small dent in the Tridium cell. How hard would it be to pull the radio out and put in a factory GPS like my 2013 had, are they plug and play? Also, If I buy it I'd like to replace the front bumper cowling to add the daytime driving lights. Is this doable as in plug and play?
Any photo’s of your new car? I would just replace the radio, with a good after market, Kenwood, pioneer, Alpine. With navigation Apple car play, and Android auto. The OEM aren’t plug and play. 2 different year models. A aftermarket is a much better choice.

You can add fog lights, you will need to have a smart/MB dealership update the software. You also will have the switch panel install on the dashboard. The 2009 model smart, had fog lamps, not driving lamps.

A paintless dent shop, can pull the dent out, for less then 100 bucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a few pics, the seller is sending me more. (The good news is he's just 100 miles away from me. I have to admit I prefer the fog lights over the LED driving lights my 2013 had. I've pretty much decided that if I buy it I'll add an aftermarket audio unit. As far as the dent, I've already looked into that an the cost would be around $80.00, so not too bad.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts