Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can guess what happened... someone decided to run up the exit only lane for Sydney Marcus and then cut over at the last minute kicked up one of the rocks that litter that area and hit cracked the windshield...

I can sympathize, I've used the windshield repair kit twice on mine for people kicking up rocks from the 'gore' area because they cut over at the last minute.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There is a windshield, just no molding. Glass company insurance company uses says it can be up to 2 weeks for molding to arrive. However, I can get it from Canada for US$90 shipped. Thinking of buying it myself and billingthe glass company US$180 :)

I was travelling on GA 400 south I was exiting at Exit 1 for Sidney Marcus Boulevard and was in the middle lane. Following a Honda Accord doing about 45mph. Had about 2.5 seconds between us. Honda driver chooses to run over the rectangular metal object instead of avoid it. This kicks the object into the air. I swerved left to try to miss it but couldn't leave my lane as there was a vehicle next to me.

I am fine, thanks for asking. I'm glad it hit the passenger side of the windshield instead of the middle. If I wouldn't have swerved the object would have hit the middle of the windshield. Judging by the amount of glass left (one maybe two thin layers) from the actual impact point, I am certain the object would have gone through the windshield if it hit the center.

Tried to get Honda driver to pull over but she looked at me, at the windshield and then sped off.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Suze.

BTW, Smart Center Buckhead in Atlanta has a pink fortwo on their lot right now. :) Every time I drive by or pull in I half expect its yours. Only it has a silver Tridion.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can guess what happened... someone decided to run up the exit only lane for Sydney Marcus and then cut over at the last minute kicked up one of the rocks that litter that area and hit cracked the windshield...

I can sympathize, I've used the windshield repair kit twice on mine for people kicking up rocks from the 'gore' area because they cut over at the last minute.
Bad deal, man; hate to sound too trite, but could have been worse.
Let me get this straight: this "Sydney Marcus" spot is so notorious, msjohnso1974 could pretty much guess the circumstances of your predicament?

If so, seems the state of Georgia could do a little better in the road maintenance/policing/marking department?
Jeez.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
you broke the windshield of my car how dare you ;)
I know! :)

And just an update, it seems that Safelite (the company my insurance company is using) has received the molding for my windshield and will be by on the 5th of November to install it. I am assured that it is the windshield for a 450 and not a 451 ForTwo.

Other auto glass places have told me the windshields are different. I know the way they are attached is different and that the two pieces of glass, while installed look very different. I have my fingers crossed.

I also submitted my story to http://safeandsmart.com If it wasn't for the wider tires afforded by the wider OEM Smart Strikeline wheels, I wouldn't have been able to:

1) Swerve to have the object hit on the side instead of the center of the windshield

2) stay in my lane (albeit the extreme left side) as there was a car in the lane next to me

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a company here in Georgia called PGR. They are able to get parts for the 450. It takes them a bit of time, but they can. I'll try to get their contact info and post it in the Parts/Dealers section of the forum.

They ordered me a front headlight assembly and its the Euro version!! I told them bill y insurance company for it, do not install it and I'll take it. :)

Funny story, I took the nose off for the repair shop and they were amazed at how quickly i did it. They wanted to see the engine and all I had done, so I ended up taking the rear off as well. I guess they were impressed by how quickly I did it as there was a small crowd.

Then they offered me a job. :p And yesterday I got a call from them asking if I could swing by and put the nose back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts