Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing other forums.:eek: I'm sorry, but every time I come here, it's mostly ED discussion and now I find out they are excluding ICE members. It's slow around here. I've been at H.A.M.B. and Jeep Wrangler forums. New and interesting topics all the time. 5-10 new posts a minute. Learning lots more about my wife's Jeep. Funny, all the forums have their Larrys and trolls. I'll still be here to see what is going on and stay up on Frankensmart.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Forum is pretty topic specific. YJ's TJ's and mostly JK's. I usually don't go to the off topic sections. There is to much to read on each model. I'll read one thread 1-2 pages long, go back to new posts and there is a whole new page of posts. The H.A.M.B. will fill a page every 3-4 minutes or less with new posts. They make lots of fun about Hummers. Current active users right now is 4818.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I keep the same name on all the forums. I see some of our members on the trike and three wheel forums.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I find myself spending less and less time here as well. I've gotten really involved with two FWD Mopar sites(one run by autoguide) since I've finished my project truck. I'm a serious gearhead at heart, and love wrenching on cars. This forum just doesn't give me much of that. The others, well, they all deal with vehicles that are 25-30 years old. Wrenching is a given on a vehicle that old. It's cool to see how folks are able to adapt newer technology to improve our older cars. The restoration and modification threads are inspiring to read, and they give me lots of ideas for the future. :D

Here, it seems the conversation has turned to the ED, which is cool for those that have them, but they are also quick to point out that they like them because of a lack of necessary maintenance. ED's in my book are still a novelty. The tech just isn't there to make them a viable option for me. If it works for the folks in town, then great, but it's just another reason for me to go elswhere for my forum "fix".:(

I still love my smart, and I plan on putting a lot more miles on it. I want to see how far the little bugger will go. It's kind of a personal goal at this point. But, with that being said, I know my enthusiasm for the brand isn't what it used to be. There are several reasons for that, which I won't discuss here, but it's not the fault of this forum either. The car is now 6 years old, and some of the novelty has worn off. I hope the introduction of the 453 will re-kindle some of the spark among all smart owners. We will have to wait and see.

I'll keep popping in and inserting my :2cents: where I feel appropriate( or just to aggrivate certain members>:D), but I spend most of my time elsewhere now...

·
17,345 Posts
Indeed, I'm still a daily user (and will be forever) but this place has taken a very sharp decline.

Not many new posts a day (that aren't mine), car counts for rallies are much smaller, some vendors have closed up shop, long time members moved on to other brands...kinda sad...

And now there's the ED forum, which is cool...but obviously ICE owners aren't welcome and if you check the post history on some of the regular submitters, a few really are elitist. Who would've thought this forum would end up divided???

I've been cheating on SCoA with Jalopnik and its satellite sites (my own blog, Oppositelock, and Live Free or Let Die-Cast).

Jalopnik may not be smart friendly, but its satellite sites are welcoming of all cars, and since the user base is thousands strong at all times in the day, there's always something new.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I find myself spending less and less time here as well. I've gotten really involved with two FWD Mopar sites(one run by autoguide) since I've finished my project truck. I'm a serious gearhead at heart, and love wrenching on cars. This forum just doesn't give me much of that. The others, well, they all deal with vehicles that are 25-30 years old. Wrenching is a given on a vehicle that old. It's cool to see how folks are able to adapt newer technology to improve our older cars. The restoration and modification threads are inspiring to read, and they give me lots of ideas for the future. :D

Here, it seems the conversation has turned to the ED, which is cool for those that have them, but they are also quick to point out that they like them because of a lack of necessary maintenance. ED's in my book are still a novelty. The tech just isn't there to make them a viable option for me. If it works for the folks in town, then great, but it's just another reason for me to go elswhere for my forum "fix".:(

I still love my smart, and I plan on putting a lot more miles on it. I want to see how far the little bugger will go. It's kind of a personal goal at this point. But, with that being said, I know my enthusiasm for the brand isn't what it used to be. There are several reasons for that, which I won't discuss here, but it's not the fault of this forum either. The car is now 6 years old, and some of the novelty has worn off. I hope the introduction of the 453 will re-kindle some of the spark among all smart owners. We will have to wait and see.

I'll keep popping in and inserting my :2cents: where I feel appropriate( or just to aggrivate certain members>:D), but I spend most of my time elsewhere now...
I for one appreciate your "comments" and your vast help throughout the years :D

·
17,345 Posts
I was an active member of SCoA spinoffs like the Smart Madness Forum, North American Smart Cars, the forum NukleoN made, and Insider (I know, I know). But they too simmered down so bad that there are hardly any new posts in any of them.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm guilty too. I spend quite a bit of time on the Subaru XV Crosstrek forum now that we have the Hybrid.....

No , I don't feel dirty at all.:D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
And now there's the ED forum, which is cool...but obviously ICE owners aren't welcome and if you check the post history on some of the regular submitters, a few really are elitist.
Huh? Wow, you people blow one or two posts way out of proportion. There's no hate for ICE owners in the EV forum. I own BOTH, a 2008 ICE and 2013 EV. Both have their use and merits. I don't get discriminated against for being bi-fuel-sourced.

The real issue is when you have a small vocal group that do nothing but ***** and whine about EV related topics ("stealing my tax dollars" or "more dirty than ICE due to coal") in every damn thread in the EV section. Often in a way that's not even on topic for the discussion at hand. I'm talking about differences in EVSE and there's a post about how I'm polluting the world with coal. (Never mind I live close to Niagara, and >70% of my energy is hydro...)

This whole thing of "EV people don't like ICE people" is frankly about as genuine as Christians complaining how persecuted they are in the US.
>:D

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
I have no problems with ED people or ICE people, both cars have their uses and personally an ED would not work for what I need. Doesn't make them good or bad, just not for me. I am sure there are many others that the ED works for their needs. More power to them!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Huh? Wow, you people blow one or two posts way out of proportion. There's no hate for ICE owners in the EV forum. I own BOTH, a 2008 ICE and 2013 EV. Both have their use and merits. I don't get discriminated against for being bi-fuel-sourced.

The real issue is when you have a small vocal group that do nothing but ***** and whine about EV related topics ("stealing my tax dollars" or "more dirty than ICE due to coal") in every damn thread in the EV section. Often in a way that's not even on topic for the discussion at hand. I'm talking about differences in EVSE and there's a post about how I'm polluting the world with coal. (Never mind I live close to Niagara, and >70% of my energy is hydro...)

This whole thing of "EV people don't like ICE people" is frankly about as genuine as Christians complaining how persecuted they are in the US.
>:D
Other than stealing my tax dollars, having much larger eco footprint that is generally understood, the high initial cost and really short range, I think they are great!>:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts