Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Smarties, just a quick introduction by way of a recent event that happened to me and my SMART.

[FONT=&quot]On July 20th, 2010 at approximately 7:55pm I opened my car door and walked away from my rolled SMART car with nothing more than a slightly swollen left hand and a couple of scrapes on my left arm and shoulder, the car was a total wreck and was considered a “write-off” by the insurance company. This little car was amazing and without a doubt contributed to in having saved my life! I would like to thank everyone involved with what was my SMART car.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Travelling with the flow of traffic at about 110 km/h on the QEW Niagara bound, my SMART Car struck the start of the guardrail on the left side of the roadway, head on. I am not entirely sure of all the events, but I do know the car flipped or rolled at least once. I have a vague memory of being on my left side as the car made what I believe was its final roll back onto its four wheels and then coming to a complete stop on the right shoulder of the highway. Still in a daze, or possible shock over what had just happened, I realized that staying in the car was not likely the best thing to do. I took a quick look around the inside of the car and noted that both the driver and passenger windows were intact and the front window was as well. I put my hand on the driver’s door handle and tried to open it - the door opened just as it had the day I took delivery of the SMART car. I have to admit, I did not really think about it much at that point, I simply unbuckled my seat belt and stepped out of the car and walked away to a safe location.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As I was calling 911, I turned and looked back at my SMART. The front end was missing its cowling and the driver side front tire was flat. There were scratches and scrapes along both driver and passenger sides of the car and the glass was missing from the rear hatch. The hazard lights were flashing and there was radiator fluid leaking from the front of the car. As I was talking with authorities on the cell phone, I was starting to realize what had just happened. My SMART had hit a solid object at about 110 km/h, crossed two lanes of traffic in an acrobatic manoeuvre and came to rest on its wheels - and I simply opened the door and walked away! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In response to the 911 operator’s inquiries, I checked myself out. I noticed a scrape on my left hand and a slightly swollen middle knuckle. A brush burn kind of mark on my left under arm, but no signs of blood or broken limbs. I was fine! My SMART car did everything I had read it was suppose to do, it likely saved my life. As the police, ambulance and tow operator showed up and after all the important questions were answered, I remember each of them looking at amazement at the car and then at me. They all could not understand how I simply opened the door and walked away from it without any serious injury. The paramedics checked me over and confirmed that I was all in one piece without broken limbs or skin.[/FONT]

The next day I went to my SMART dealer and ordered my new 2010 SMART which I am currently working on several MODs for.

So if you know anyone who needs to know how safe these cars just send them my way and I would be happy to let them know what happened to me and my SMART.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
This is great news, I mean that the smart did what it was meant to do: save your life! And even prevented you from having a long hospital stay. Of course you'll share on the safeandsmart.com: home site too (if it's not already done)...
And enjoy your new car. Many more smiling miles!

·
Registered
910 Posts
WoW~!

You just renewed my faith in my decision to purchase the smart... I've got a couple of friends who refuse to ride in it because of their it's "too small to be safe" attitude. Guess they've been drinking the big car mfg Kool-aid too long....:D
And I'm very happy to hear you didn't suffer any serious injuries...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was One-Hell-Of-A-Ride you had... Glad your good to go...<:))

~ONE TUFF NUT~
It is or I should say was indeed. It is funny now though when people see I drive a SMART one of the first thing most say is "I wouldn't want to be hit in one of those." My answer now, more than ever, is "It is exactly the car I want to be in when I get hit!!!"

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am glad you are OK.

Whenever anyone is in a car accident they should get a medical check even if their visible injuries appear slight. There are three separate types of injuries that can occur and many of them are internal. IMHO.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
What a statement for the safety of the smart!! Glad you walked away relatively unscathed!!

I'd get a check-up ASAP, though! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am glad you are OK.

Whenever anyone is in a car accident they should get a medical check even if their visible injuries appear slight. There are three separate types of injuries that can occur and many of them are internal. IMHO.
I did go see my doctor the next day (before going to the dealer) and was checked out as A-ok. Thank you all for your concern and good wishes.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
From what i seen of your photos i am amazed you walked away from it the way you did, and just think of those who think their big SUV's are safer, and we know what happens to them when they roll over. I think you need to share your story on safeandsmart.com: home, it is a "pure" testimony on the safety of this car, and yeah you bet it speaks loudly to the people on this car. :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It's sad to see ANYONE end up in an accident, BUT at least you're OK. More proof that the safety systems in the smart do work as expected.

For those in the USA who didn't know, 110 KMH = 68 MPH, a pretty good speed and fast enough to cause some really bad damage.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad that the car protected you. Do you know what caused you to hit the guard rail?
I still don't have clear recollection of the few moments before the accident or of the impact itself. I know there was a transport truck slightly a head of me on the right and I had moved to the left lane to pass it and we were approaching an on ramp from another highway merging onto the one we were on. There were no other vehicles involved in the accident itself and no one stayed around to be a witness either. I was not tired to the best of my knowledge either and I am a Professional Bus Driver so I would not knowing risk my license. With all that said it would have to have been one of or a combination of;

1) feel asleep at the wheel
2) black out
3) merging traffic forced the rig to my lane
4) truck accidentally moved to my lane
5) a ripple in the space time continuum displaced my car slightly
6) I always wanted to be a crash test dummy.

Personally I am thinking and wishing it was number 3 or 4 but my fall back will be number 5!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts