Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Carlsson fog lights and installed them on my 09 Brabus Cabrio. I bought a "new" dash switch bank to use the factory fog light switch and then on our way to St. Augustine, FL for our Anniversary we stopped at the SMART Center in Jacksonville to get them activated. ALL GOOD! Here's a couple of pics:

Whatcha think?

Cheap plug... I bought an extra set of the Carlsson lights and if someone here is looking for a set I will sell them for $75.00 shipped.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock wiring is already there. I pulled out the fog light block-offs and they are plug-and-play. I wanted the stock look so just swapped out the switch bank. The only thing needed was activation at the dealer.... so i guess I'll take the credit for a DIY, lol! I have some Carlsson wheels too, -4- 16" and -2- 17" but have to decide if I want to run all 16" or the staggered 16"/17".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought my switch bank off of eBay as well. The original one just pulls out, disconnect the harness, plug harness to the new switch bank, and push it back in the dash. It took all of 2 minutes! When you have it installed push the fog light button. If it illuminates green for a second you know it's all good and just needs the activation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it depends on the dealer, from what I've seen posted. The dealer I went to charged $55.00 but I thought I came out good on the deal. They activated the fog lights, re-set my service wrench I a hard time clearing, free expresso! for the wife and I, free bottled water and snacks, washed the car for me, and gave me a NICE leather and silver keychain in a nice giftbox! Dog friendly too, we had the dog with us and he hung out in the waiting room with us and toured the new SMART and Mercedes cars on display too!

·
17,346 Posts
The dealer I went to charged $55.00 but I thought I came out good on the deal.
Or, if you don't want to pay that sort of cash, simply wire the thing to the R4 slot on the SAM. The lights will operate with the ignition switch.

If you want, you could also install a switch and it'll operate when you feel like it.

That's my only complaint about the factory fogs, you have to have at least the parking lights on to turn them on...so no true DRL...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or, if you don't want to pay that sort of cash, simply wire the thing to the R4 slot on the SAM. The lights will operate with the ignition switch.

If you want, you could also install a switch and it'll operate when you feel like it.

That's my only complaint about the factory fogs, you have to have at least the parking lights on to turn them on...so no true DRL...
I gotta disagree with you. My 09 Brabus HAS factory DRL! The fog lights were installed to be used as FOG lights, not DRL. As soon as I start my car the DRL are on, I have to switch them off or switch to turn on my headlights. DRL factory option on mine !

·
17,346 Posts
Wait...what are you disagreeing with, exactly? :)

One can install the lights to the SAM, install a switch (using the stock button bank too), and it'll work just like the factory setup.

Or, they can just wire it directly to the SAM and have it work on the ignition...That way you can have both a DRL and a fog light. I have my LEDs setup this way...

Or, one can pay the dealer to activate them.

Just trying to give the folks out there some options. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only the no true DRL part. I have true DRL from the factory, these are used for fogs only in my application. I do agree with your options for those who want to run a switch or alternate wiring. I didn't need to use the fogs as DRL. I'm sure your wiring options will work well for others, thanks for posting them!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The stock wiring is already there. I pulled out the fog light block-offs and they are plug-and-play. I wanted the stock look so just swapped out the switch bank. The only thing needed was activation at the dealer.... so i guess I'll take the credit for a DIY, lol!
To those who may be perplexed about the fog light install, it is possible to MODIFY the OEM switch (Hazard) bank to work - FREE!

No, you won't have the cute little fog lamp (second from left) graphic but with a £10 Evilution Membership, screwdriver, file/Dremel, drill and limited mechanical skills you are half way there!

DETAILS for Evilution Members only at . . .

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

Pay Kane a £10 annual stipend and you will have a smart fortwo Encyclopedia beyond compare! :bigthumbup:

The second half of this journey requires a visit to your local smart Center. Your new fog lamps will require Star Diagnostic activation so the SAM knows of the new addition. Yes, you will have to PAY THE MAN but with what you saved on the switch upgrade you should still be able to smile?

As with all things smart, YMMV . . .

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for posting up additional options. I know I could have saved money by modifying my switch, or using alternate wiring methods, but I like the factory stock look and function so chose the switch with the fog icon. $55 dealer activation, $40 used switch bank (Still have my other I can sell if I want to recoup some $$) and $59 for the Carlsson fog lights with a Stainless Grille insert as well. So all total I spent about $150 but I'm happy. I guess that's what counts. It sure is nice others have posted different options as I know the route I chose is not what everyone would prefer....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts