Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's been just 2-months now of ownership and I have enjoyed every minute of owning this car. I am always looking forward to driving it. I came from a Fiesta ST, and before that I had a Honda Insight (2001 manual) and an S2000 as a second car. To be honest I don't miss those cars a bit. Maybe it's because so much of my drive is in traffic, commuting 40-miles/day, and stopping for gas every week SUCKED, especially when it wasn't on my route and I had to deal with more of that traffic. Now we run all our errands in the Smart and never drive the gas Honda Fit on weekends. We even do almost all of our shopping with the Smart.

My favorite thing about this car is the size. I have always loved small cars and driving this thing is such a blast in the city. I get to pass people that otherwise would've stopped me, fitting in all kinds of nooks and crannys, and it's the only electric car that could fit in my driveway. :D See the pic here:

I know we all own these cars and this post is totally unnecessary, but I am just amazed at what a great, complete package these cars are... someone really designed the perfect city car when the Smart concept was built and the electric drivetrain is just the final piece of the puzzle IMO. Can't wait to see how the 453 electric drive turns out, but I'm very happy with the 451.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Demon key you are certainly not alone in enjoying your ride. We all do. They are just so addictive when you fly by others or pull away at the lights...guilty pleasure. One year later I still have a crush on mine.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Demonkey I share your "passion" for the 451 Smart. I don't have the electric one but I'm sure yours is a blast to drive. I look forward to driving mine all the time. The trip is always the best part. I feel priviledged to have one. The interior is so comfortable and I am driving a unique car that very few people have ever had the pleasure to drive. I love all the questions and the stares and the thumbs up ! Thanks for sharing the great pictures. We need more posts like yours here on the forum ! DCO.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who seriously enjoys driving my Smart ED. I've only had mine for a few weeks and it has made me enjoy driving again. Like Incochief already said, I have a bit of a crush on mine too. I took a Mustang off the line at a light the other day and the look on the guy's face was priceless. You don't see thy coming out of such a tiny car. I timed my 0-60 at 9.63 seconds the other day. Are the gas modes as zippy as the ED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome!
So there's at least three of us ex-Insighters here now.

I sometimes miss the Insight, It was a special car at the time. Hard to say if it was even smaller, it was lower and lighter for sure, but longer and a bit wider.

80 mpg with the plug-in conversion was as close to infinity one could get back in 2000. But it did beat the smarts range about 10x!

When it came to replacing it, it was my steadfast refusal to get a car that uses any more gas that ended up with my smart ED.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I still have an Insight. I sort of passed it on to my son when he got his license. The ED is our third car for our family. Still like the Insight and was sort of sad that Honda isn't making it anymore. It's a great car too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I made room so I could keep BOTH of them! My 2002 MT Insight is a fantastic car! I feel like it is one of the most significate cars ever built. My Smart Electric is also a fantastic car. Each car has it's own nitch, also both are soooo much more fun to drive than my stupid old truck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I still have my 2010 Insight too. My son turned 16 last year so we sort of share the Insight and the Smart. I drive the Smart most of the time but if I have a day that I need some distance, he takes the Smart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, not like the old ones. I'm not getting anywhere near 70 mpg. And the old ones seem to hold up so well. I'm amazed how many I still see out there. I'm still a big fan of my 2010 but I'm an even bigger fan of the previous generation. It was ahead of its time.

No ducking needed. I know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made room so I could keep BOTH of them! My 2002 MT Insight is a fantastic car! I feel like it is one of the most significate cars ever built. My Smart Electric is also a fantastic car. Each car has it's own nitch, also both are soooo much more fun to drive than my stupid old truck!
If I hadn't sold the Insight a few years back I might've done the same. But honestly the hassle of having two cars parked in front of my house, keeping both on insurance, both washed with air in the tires and so-on probably would have driven me insane. I do have a Westfalia camper if I ever want to take long trips and my girlfriend has a Honda Fit so we're covered in a lot of ways. :) But the Insight was such a great car and treated me very well. I had it for over 7 years. I took it on many sporty drives pushing the limits of what the little car was capable of, and had plenty of 100 MPG hypermile bursts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got an off lease 2013 2 weeks ago. LUV IT !! Such a blast to drive, park, take that one friend for a drive - I push back the seat for limo legroom for my guest, roll back the sun shade and put the ipod on shuffle and show them a good ride - "Living Better Electrically!"

And the service from the Riverside, Ca Mercedes dealership was a treat " Soooo that's why folk luv their Mercedes cars..." & I was not treated any different by having a Smart!

These are truly special cars and this forum just adds to that, thanks to ya all!

Tim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just got an off lease 2013 2 weeks ago. LUV IT !! Such a blast to drive, park, take that one friend for a drive - I push back the seat for limo legroom for my guest, roll back the sun shade and put the ipod on shuffle and show them a good ride - "Living Better Electrically!"

And the service from the Riverside, Ca Mercedes dealership was a treat " Soooo that's why folk luv their Mercedes cars..." & I was not treated any different by having a Smart!

These are truly special cars and this forum just adds to that, thanks to ya all!

Tim

I have a 2013 off lease ED also. I know what you mean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
>emailchrishall
Did you get your VVC# I seem to have hit a dead end. Was told that the car's free perioed ended on 12/1/2016 before I bought it, and they can't generate a new one. Kinda looks like they are slowly letting that service expire....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did you get your VVC# I seem to have hit a dead end. Was told that the car's free perioed ended on 12/1/2016 before I bought it, and they can't generate a new one. Kinda looks like they are slowly letting that service expire....

Mine is still waiting on the part and I haven't talked to my guy at the Smart Center. He didn't know about it when we talked. So after reading everyone's thoughts here, I'm not holding my breath about it.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
I seem to have hit a dead end. Was told that the car's free perioed ended on 12/1/2016 before I bought it, and they can't generate a new one. Kinda looks like they are slowly letting that service expire....
From whom did you purchase your pre-owned ED - smart Center or independent dealership? Is the battery owned or rented (BAP)?

Odd that they would be winding down this EV support as Daimler just a few days ago rolled out their CASE Initiative?

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/specials/electric-mobility/case.html

If, the smart Vehicle Homepage is truly being killed after 3 years ALL owners should contact M-B and ask for better, even if a fee is required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From whom did you purchase your pre-owned ED - smart Center or independent dealership? Is the battery owned or rented (BAP)?

Odd that they would be winding down this EV support as Daimler just a few days ago rolled out their CASE Initiative?

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/specials/electric-mobility/case.html

If, the smart Vehicle Homepage is truly being killed after 3 years ALL owners should contact M-B and ask for better, even if a fee is required.
----
Bought from an independent dealer.
Interesting for sure, but MercedesME isn't listing the US as a market its rolled out to nor is any smart vehicle listed. But that could change...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts