Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT!!

Hey All

AS the newest Gray owner here ( I truly wish more gray owners would identify them selves here), I went for the gray version for a few reasons ( that OF course I will explain Hee Hee Hee).

First off, I do not believe (even though it is published on the PAG's web site) you will be able to buy a Passion for "Under $14,000".

I do not believe that the dealers will hold true to the PROMIS of no ADMU (additional dealer mark up).

I do not believe, with 22,000+ reservations that every one could get a car in the first year with out paying more.

I base this conclusion on a few things, drinking beer:D, the fact that dealer announcements are NOW over due, the CRASH test ratings are not on the .gov site, and other than the Road Show (that seems to of went off as planed) there has NOT been any news from PAG.

As in the heading I have set my self up to be the laughing stock of the forum (you won't be the first Hee Hee Hee), but here are the details of my gray purchase.

2006 Passion converted by G&K conversions in Ca, bought used (3,400 miles) from a ZAP dealer (same guys who sold it new to the first guy), got the remaining 2 years 10 months of warranty (has not been tested yet), had to switch insurance companies (Liberty Mutual will NOT cover this car), and saved $500 by switching to State Farm.

I ended up paying $23,763 for this car (a dollar value I will NEVER recover (in gas value savings)), BUT, in not consuming resources or expelling emissions, this price may be "Priceless", OOHH insurance was $523 per year.

This is the easy daily commuter, (now that the registration hurdles are over) 17 miles in each direction. As stated before I was warned about the attention that would be paid to this car (as I was warned when I bought a Z3), but I like being unique, I like being at the for front, I like saving resources for your children (Hee Hee Hee every one gives me crap for my GREEN stance, because I am childless by choice, and the comments are "Why would you care")

Anyways in the end, good luck to ALL :p and best of luck.

OOHH PS. this (Gray) car screams, now that I have leaned how to shift it correctly WOW is it easy/sporty to drive. Mileage test is still under way. 189 miles when second icon went out(2/5th used out of the fill up).

Well enough babble out of me, it's time to drink some beer

ASM

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
time to drink some beer alright.....and with the $500 savings in switching insurance companies - you're buying!! :D:p

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride - its gives the rest of us something to look forward to! :)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
BUT!!

OOHH PS. this (Gray) car screams, now that I have leaned how to shift it correctly WOW is it easy/sporty to drive. Mileage test is still under way. 189 miles when second icon went out(2/5th used out of the fill up).

Well enough babble out of me, it's time to drink some beer

ASM
I've been spending a lot of effort tuning my MINI for power. I'm thinking the goal on the SmartCar will be to tune it for fuel economy. You know: paper thin carbon fiber panels, high tech frictionless wheel bearings, low friction tires, titanium suspension parts, etc.

I know, I'm crazy, but I'm serious. I might draw the line at a pedal crank assist hill climb option.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insurance company is

confined098

TA DA it's State Farm, I had Liberty Mutual for 20 years (they were up set I was leaving never having a claim in those 20 years) but they wouldn't insure the car.

State Farm on the other hand gave me a great deal ( 2000 Z3, 05 Chevy Avao, the Smart, and my house) for about $1,800 a year with the same full coverage I got with Liberty.

Give them a call

ASM

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a gray owner too having picked up my 2006 Passion Grandstyle Coupe in Portland OR in June. Paid just over $25K. I like my new car...but found out that the most convenient after market accessories location to buy is out of Canada at a Smart store.

Best mileage so far is 47 mpg...when not using AC (tuff to do in SE Washington state).

This is the only SmartCar in the town I live (Walla Walla) and I (the car) am the eye candy of most everyone...I get the stink eye from big 4x4 and semi-truck drivers.

I love it

·
Registered
21 Posts
no State Farm

I've been around the block more than a few times, State Farm is about the WORST insurance company there is. I would never, NEVER, have a policy with those crooked people again. They are very nice until you're in an accident and need their services.

If you have State Farm, please pray you don't ever have an accident! I had them for many years and since finding USAA, I will never go back to those crooked State Farm thieves. USAA is by FAR the best insurance company I have ever been with. They now handle all my insurance for car and home as well as my banking and investments. Top notch company all around.

I'm almost in my 60's and nearing retirement so heed a word of experience from someone who's been around the block and dealt with all the insurance companies......STAY AWAY from State Farm, you will get nothing but headaches! Oh, and by the way USAA will beat State Farms prices by at least 25% and you get more coverage and TONS more customer service. My premiums for my Smart Passion Cabrio runs under $400 per yr for FULL coverage and a ZERO deductable.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
No laughing here. I agree with all of your comments, including the drinking beer part ;)

As one of the first owners of a G&K smart in the US, I am still very happy with my purchase, and I also think the dealers will add additional dealer markup in the US, something they can't do by law in Canada. But with 28,000+ reservations, they will have ADM, as many of the enthusiasts will pay more just to be first on the block, (even though they will be a couple years behind us that already have them).

Tom

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
and I also think the dealers will add additional dealer markup in the US, something they can't do by law in Canada.
Tom
The Smart sales manager at Euro Motorcars Germantown was adamant about the fact that their contract with Penske prohibits them from marking up the car. He promised me that when my reserved allocation comes up, they will be charging me MSRP. :)

Also, there's a guy trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
The Smart sales manager at Euro Motorcars Germantown was adamant about the fact that their contract with Penske prohibits them from marking up the car. He promised me that when my reserved allocation comes up, they will be charging me MSRP. :)

Also, there's a guy trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge.:rolleyes:
I will believe it when I see it. Last year I was burned by my local dealer when I ordered a new 2007 Shelby GT-500 from him, and he promised to sell it to me at MSRP. When my special order arrived, he jacked the price $10,000! I told him to keep the car (in not so kind of words).

Tom

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I will believe it when I see it. Last year I was burned by my local dealer when I ordered a new 2007 Shelby GT-500 from him, and he promised to sell it to me at MSRP. When my special order arrived, he jacked the price $10,000! I told him to keep the car (in not so kind of words).

Tom
Yep, same thing happened to me except that they jacked the price by $20k. The only difference in my response was to tell him WHERE to keep the car!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Unfortunately, even if they can't mark up the MSRP, some will force you to take dealer add-ons such as the always popular in Nevada (drum roll, please) Desert Protection Package. :eek: This expensive undercoating protects your vehicle from dangerous snakes and scorpions and runs $500-$1000 depending on the vehicle. It seems to be applied as soon as the cars come off the transporter so if you want the car, you have to take it (STS). Time will tell. Is it Fall yet?

tm

·
Registered
522 Posts
USAA Insurance

Ditto to Wyldkarma. Have been with USAA for 30 years driving and living all over the world. Give them a try.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I've had a great experience with State Farm and they're cheap. If you want to talk about ridiculous pricing check out Geico or Progressive for anything but a perfect record.
I've been around the block more than a few times, State Farm is about the WORST insurance company there is. I would never, NEVER, have a policy with those crooked people again. They are very nice until you're in an accident and need their services.

If you have State Farm, please pray you don't ever have an accident! I had them for many years and since finding USAA, I will never go back to those crooked State Farm thieves. USAA is by FAR the best insurance company I have ever been with. They now handle all my insurance for car and home as well as my banking and investments. Top notch company all around.

I'm almost in my 60's and nearing retirement so heed a word of experience from someone who's been around the block and dealt with all the insurance companies......STAY AWAY from State Farm, you will get nothing but headaches! Oh, and by the way USAA will beat State Farms prices by at least 25% and you get more coverage and TONS more customer service. My premiums for my Smart Passion Cabrio runs under $400 per yr for FULL coverage and a ZERO deductable.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
WOW

And I thought I was the Zombie Master lately.

Since this thread is kind of irrelevant anyway, here is my state farm story.

Back when I was in college and working summer stock I made the bone head move of trusting that guy in the pickup who waved me onto a left turn in front of him without being able to see around him. We got T-Boned by the guy going around the pick up.

And ambulance and cop were on the scene in less than 1 min. I was about 60 miles from home and in another state. The insurance was in my parents name.
Before I got done filling out paperwork down at the cop shop, My mom had heard from the insurance company in our home town that I had been in an accident. She called the theater where I worked to find out if we were all right. After she found out I was fine she ordered some show tickets.
So state farm didn't even let me have a chance to tell my parents, And my mom got over it very quick.

I have USAA now. Did you know State Farm doesn't insure Farms. Neither does USAA

·
Banned
89 Posts
State Farm might cover State Farms tho! Hah. Yeah just wanted to stick up for State-Farm since they've always been good to me, and their rates are great. Some of the other companies have such horrible pricing that it's like deterrent-pricing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts