Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help.

We have 2008 Smart ForTwo, Cabriolet convertible with only 35,000 miles driven. I have a strange rattle/knock somewhere in the lower chassis. It seems to be coming from the front driver’s side most of the time, but sometimes it seems to come from the driver’s side rear. It happens at the start of the drive, going over a bump, when changing lanes or making a full turn into a new street, be it a left or right. Sometime the knock happens just driving over flat pavement. We had the clutch replaced as well as all the shocks and struts. The knocking noise is still with us.

We took our car to two different, reputable, certified shops: one for a clutch replacement and one for the installation of the new shocks, and each shop assured us that the knock is not causing any operating danger. However, they have no idea where the know is or what’s making the knocks.

Can you give us help or guidance on where to search in our wonderful Smart ForTwo for this annoyance?

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
You’ll usually be able to tell if these parts are going bad easily; here listed some of the most common issues below:

• Check your tire tread; if it’s not wearing out evenly, there might be a problem with your alignment that usually stems from an ineffective suspension system.
  • If you’re hearing humming or grinding sounds when turning, your tie bar might be starting to wear out as well. This is the part that helps with steering, so having it go bad is something you’ll want to avoid.
  • For this reason, your steering could also feel looser than normal, since less power is concentrated on turning your wheels with a faulty part.
  • Knocking or squeaking sounds are usually a result of your sway bar or ball joints wearing thin, both of which help to absorb shocks and keep you moving forward with smoothness.
In any of these cases, it’s best to see a certified technician for service right away!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you tried folding down the rear gate in the driveway and bouncing the car up and down? Same technique from the front.

Might be able to determine where the noise is coming from that way, without engine and road noise in the way. If it's suspension, you should be able to hear it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sounds like a loose underbody fitting, probably the (front) under cover was not fitted back properly after an alignment. I had alignment done on my 08 for the first time. It was probably in 2009. I heard the rattling almost immediately right after I got it from the shop. I turned it around to head back to the mechanic and he put it back between the trough, hopped underneath the front, and in a few minutes, he was done.
The rattling was gone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You’ll usually be able to tell if these parts are going bad easily; here listed some of the most common issues below:

• Check your tire tread; if it’s not wearing out evenly, there might be a problem with your alignment that usually stems from an ineffective suspension system.
  • If you’re hearing humming or grinding sounds when turning, your tie bar might be starting to wear out as well. This is the part that helps with steering, so having it go bad is something you’ll want to avoid.
  • For this reason, your steering could also feel looser than normal, since less power is concentrated on turning your wheels with a faulty part.
  • Knocking or squeaking sounds are usually a result of your sway bar or ball joints wearing thin, both of which help to absorb shocks and keep you moving forward with smoothness.
In any of these cases, it’s best to see a certified technician for service right away!
thanks. I go by my garage to review with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a loose underbody fitting, probably the (front) under cover was not fitted back properly after an alignment. I had alignment done on my 08 for the first time. It was probably in 2009. I heard the rattling almost immediately right after I got it from the shop. I turned it around to head back to the mechanic and he put it back between the trough, hopped underneath the front, and in a few minutes, he was done.
The rattling was gone!
I’ll go by my garage and share this with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried folding down the rear gate in the driveway and bouncing the car up and down? Same technique from the front.

Might be able to determine where the noise is coming from that way, without engine and road noise in the way. If it's suspension, you should be able to hear it.
I just did the tailgate exercise, Yes, I can here the knock

I’ll go by my garage and share this with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I’ll let you know what it was and what the fix is.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts