Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have had my 2013 Smart ForTwo for almost 2 years now. At the moment, it is trying to turn over, but it just can't start. I have just recently replaced both the starter and battery, and I have no idea what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
An OBD code reader might be one of the "tools" that the McParts stores will loan you. I sure wouldn't continue to throw parts at a problem you don't know the reason for.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,500 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
A diesel Mercedes of mine had a bad crank position sensor about a year ago. It would not start the car when hot, but would start it when cold. OBD code pointed right to it.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,500 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it cranks ok, but won't start, I'd suggest that either the crankshaft position sensor, or perhaps the fuel pump has failed.
This suation occured on my smart just past 30k miles. I hooked up the car scanner to it and it told me the engine wasn't getting fuel even though it had a full tank(I did a few other manual tests to make sure this was right because the fuel pump was $340). Replaced the fuel pump on it and it still runs like a champ going on 70k miles averaging 42-46 mpg.

Try to barrow a ODB 2 car scanner and hook it into the ODB 2 port just underneath the steering wheel and see what it says

-2012 Smart Fortwo Pure W451-Model: Fuel Pump died at 29,432 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts