Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one I am new here this my first post.
Well to start of my name is Paul and I am in Nc US. I just bought a 2015 Smart car Electric Drive Fortwo with only 14k miles on it And it still smells brand new like at the dealership. When I bought it both of the battery’s were dead. I had towed it to my house. I put the 12volt battery on a slow charge for 24-48 hr and it did recover very well. It has been 12 days and it’s still on a full charge.

the car did not come with wall power unit for me to charge the main drive battery right then so I got on the web and I found one on Amazon got it here and put it on charge. Well to no avail I had charged it for two days and the main battery didn’t take not one bit of a charge.
Now on the charger it has some lights on the front of it that one says power that one and green the next light is the charging light that was on and it was green then the last light is fault/short or problem with the battery in the car 🚗 well that light is off. It said in the instruction that if that is on or blinking that the battery is bad.
I am thinking that the main drive battery is bad and I need a new. I don’t want to go to the dealership and get one I am not going to pay 10-15k dollars for a battery for this thing. I will do a
Hayabusa swap before I pay that out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
None are currently available thru a MBenz dealer. Get one out of a wreck, like from LKQ, Inc who are all over the country. Price is under $4k when they have one. Also, your existing battery could be salvageable with special care - see youtube videos - so don't throw it away!
--

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I assume the car does not run? When you turn the keyswitch to "on" or 'start". What messages appear on the indicator panel (below the speedometer)? Was the car running when you bought it?

Note that you can't jsut swap the HV battery, it needs to be activiated and software configured to the specific car using the Mercedes Benz (MB) xentry diagnostic computer system or third-party clone of this system (usually sold pre-loaded on hard drive for used in a dedicated laptop becasue of the size of the syatem).

A replacement for the HV battery is difficult to obtain at any price, even from MB, so you are not going to find any alternatives. Note that 2013-15 ED's have a well-known battery management unit software bug, or feature, that permanently disables (bricks) the HV battery if the 12V battery is left dead for more than a few days. Lots of information on this forum on this bricking problem and how some intrepid DIYers have tried to restore it, and this obscure shop in tyhe Ukraine who you can send the battery internal BMS unit to for software reflashing.

But for most people, a Smart ED with a bricked HV battery is a total loss with zero value save for parting the car out. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

And what is a "Hayabusa swap"?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
None are currently available thru a MBenz dealer. Get one out of a wreck, like from LKQ, Inc who are all over the country. Price is under $4k when they have one. Also, your existing battery could be salvageable with special care - see youtube videos - so don't throw it away!
--
I presume virtually all junkyard HV batteries are going to be bricked too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--
Do you know where I can get some one to refurbish it to get back to like new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But for most people, a Smart ED with a bricked HV battery is a total loss with zero value save for parting the car out. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

And what is a "Hayabusa swap"?
Well the good thing is I only put out 1200.00 for it.
The hayabusa is Suzuki 1300 motorcycle engine that is a direct swap in I will post a video link of one for you guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you know where I can get some one to refurbish it to get back to like new. [OP]
It would cost more to hire someone to do this specialized work than to buy a good battery out of a wreck. Call LKQ and see if they have one; they will ship to their nearest warehouse. They had one in Portland OR which was convenient to my travels. You can play with your original battery after you restore the car.

According to the 4-part youtube video (part 4) they simply hooked up the good battery and the car was good to go, no trip to the dealer was needed. I'm hoping this will be my result when I do the switch, we shall see.
--

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would cost more to hire someone to do this specialized work than to buy a good battery out of a wreck. Call LKQ and see if they have one; they will ship to their nearest warehouse. They had one in Portland OR which was convenient to my travels. You can play with your original battery after you restore the car.

According to the 4-part youtube video (part 4) they simply hooked up the good battery and the car was good to go, no trip to the dealer was needed. I'm hoping this will be my result when I do the switch, we shall see.
--
Fist thing if you don’t mind how much did you get your HV from LKQ for. Sec can you give the link for the you tube videos you are talking about. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How many youtube vids re Smart_EVs have 4 parts?!
--
The videos are hard to find - becasue except for the name "Shawn Crockett" and the "Part 1, Part 2 ...etc each video has a different title. Also the presentation of the information is very poorly done with lots of needed information left out. And also, they did NOT jsut hook up the good battery - they completely disassembled the pack and individually charged each cell from totally dead - then, i think (he isnt clear) swapped the cell modules into the old pack/BMS. There was never any need to buy a used (bricked) existing pack. The old cells could probably be rejuvenated. How he avoided clearing the P18051c error he never explains.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The first 3 vids by Shawn document his discovery that it is almost impossible to replace weak/failed cells in the Smart hv batt with the intention of repowering the car. The best you can hope for is what Dave Poz did which is to fix a few bad cells and end up with a moderate power solar storage battery. This is my take after watching these vidz.

The 4th vid by Shawn switches completely to his luckily finding, as I have, a good functional hv batt from LKQ Recyclers. He gives up on his kitchen table repair process (!!) and just proceeds to installing the hv batt salvaged from a wreck. Once connected he was surprised that the car sprang to life with no error codes at all!! Someone asks in the comments and Shawn advises where he bought the salvage batt. It was the first I'd heard of LKQ but I called them and their nation-wide network had one available convenient for me at their warehouse in Portland, OR. Today I've begun the process of installing mine here in the Rockies and will post a youtube vid eventually.

Salvage hv batts are all we now have for our Smart EDs - there are no alternatives. Let me know if I need to re-watch any of these videos in case I might have missed something.
--

·
Registered
858 Posts
Strange that something as important as a traction battery is unavailable worldwide.
I don't understand, according to some members parts are "by Law" to be available for 10 years.
But I couldn't find as any such law. Only Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.
I have used LKQ in the past with good results.
Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
127 Posts
MBenz dealer's opinion to be clear was more like '3 month wait or more'. No charge for the weeks of storage which I appreciated. It is also strange that the EQ batt has one extra cell per module which right off the bat makes it incompatible with the ED. What is gained by 3 extra cells??
--

·
Registered
23 Posts
Next step for someone like L8psiexplorer after making sure a good 12v bat is installed,,, is to hook up a N82/2 BMS group compatible code reader and see if they have P18051c or the (seemingly) less critical error code(s) like P0de6fb, P1d799a, u01a2fa, P0aa400, p0aa400. I can confirm that Autel hd200 / ap200 is a cheap compatible code reader- most code readers other than MB STAR and a few other higher end ones won't be compatible.

Personally I'd be extremely wary of any junkyard pack even a "good condition" one unless you can get some guarantee that it came out of a still moving/charged vehicle. All the airbags deployed vehicles I've seen, and about 90% of the salvage auction vehicles (where junkyards source their cars) overall have a dead hv battery.

2 more sources for videos I bookmarked (in addition to the four by Shawn Crockett here)
-David Poz removing single cell (NOT for re-use in car in this case)
-Slightly long winded look at the internals here: 3rd Gen Smart ForTwo HV Innards.MOV

Strange that something as important as a traction battery is unavailable worldwide.
...It's not that they aren't available, it's the price 11k+ usd.. (they probably are available or were as recent as a few months ago - dealer sees the price vs value of car & has been down this road before -2 others in the parking lot when I brought mine in- so they just say "unavailable" even though they could eventually probably get one...... if you're patient or persistent enough).

For anyone coming across the hv battery "bricked" problem for the first time, before you drill the rivets to open up the hv battery and start down the DIY path----- IF your car has had the annual service at a dealer on time (every 14 months) , I encourage you to take it to a dealer and press on - I think there is a significant chance they could still honor the supposed CARB states 10 year powertrain warranty. But in my case it seemed like even if the hv battery desiccant was changed every ~2 years, they were able to squirm their way out of responsibility.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What is gained by 3 extra cells?? [me]
Probably not a whole hell of a lot except the ability to say: "The ED batt is no longer manufactured, all we make nowadays is the EQ battery which cannot work in your ED."
--

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that stinks really bad I have never heard of a car maker just don’t sell or make a part for a car that is still made.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It is also strange that the EQ batt has one extra cell per module which right off the bat makes it incompatible with the ED. What is gained by 3 extra cells??
Their head engineer had a hangup about odd numbers - and it does give it another 550 watt-hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts