Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only worthy of a post since that was only 2nd one I've ever spotted in the wild.

They seem to be a lot more rare than smarts.

Is the iQ damned?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Worldwide sales of the iQ are something like 20% of what the smart fortwo sells, and that's despite the smart being a long-in-the-tooth model.

They tried to make a better smart ... and missed the point.

I'm pretty sure that Toyota will let the model run its course and won't replace it.

·
17,343 Posts
Here's my take on what happened with the iQ:

Toyota listened to every complaint people had about the fortwo and decided they would design a car that had none of those negative traits.

After driving an iQ, I can confirm that yep, Toyota literally built a car that capitalises on having none of the fortwo's downfalls. It has a smooth suspension, a transmission that doesn't shift, a traditional engine layout, and even a rear seat that claims it can fit a human (more on that later).

And for that, I applaud Toyota...Unfortunately, they forgot what makes smart the first name in city cars: Character.

The looks of the iQ doesn't invoke really any emotion. If you saw it for the first time, you'd wonder what the heck that tiny thing was, but otherwise there's absolutely zero emotion to be felt from looking at it. The same continues inside, where you're presented with a world of monochrome plastics and fabric that reminds you of public transportation. Even worse, the stereo headunit is perched in such a way that it resembles a CB radio, more than a high tech car toy.

The same goes how it drives too. If feels like you're operating an appliance, rather than piloting an adult go-kart. You feel obligated to drive it, rather than happy to drive it.

I think that's the big difference between the two cars. One has so much character it's like a pet, the other tries so hard to be perfect all the life got sucked out of it.

And perfect? Nope. The iQ has some pretty bad shortfalls.

1. The rear seats are utterly useless unless you plan on carrying nothing but children under 4ft tall back there.

2. While the rear seats are in use, you have literally 1 cubic inch of luggage space.

3. There's no storage anywhere else in the car either. The most you get is a half inch deep tray that goes under the front passenger seat. You don't even get a glovebox or even a cubby hole.

4. If you thought the fortwo's dome light was inadequate? You haven't even seen the iQ's. Imagine using a dim phone screen to see inside your car, because that's the light output the tiny LED dome light gives you.

5. Oh, and regards to number 1. Your kids' heads are literally one inch or less from that rear glass. This prompted Toyota to put the world's first rear window airbag in the back. But honestly, when your head is only an inch from whatever is impacting the window, an airbag isn't going to do a darn thing!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
It really come down to. No one wants a city cars here. You can buy any 4 door compact for the same price. Same goes for the smart car too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It really come down to. No one wants a city cars here. You can buy any 4 door compact for the same price. Same goes for the smart car too.
Meh, it depends on the area. Smarts are exploding in popularity in Columbus, Ohio (my smart center sales guy and my own observations coincide on that part).

Our new car2go program seems to be going well, but I don't have any facts for that part. They've expanded their service areas a few times so far already and just began in October.

Leasing a four door compact for the same price as a smart is actually fairly difficult, too, and I don't know of any four door compacts (non-hybrid) that see 43 mpg in 30-50 degree weather on city roads.

·
17,343 Posts
Meh, it depends on the area. Smarts are exploding in popularity in Columbus, Ohio (my smart center sales guy and my own observations coincide on that part).

Our new car2go program seems to be going well, but I don't have any facts for that part. They've expanded their service areas a few times so far already and just began in October.

Leasing a four door compact for the same price as a smart is actually fairly difficult, too, and I don't know of any four door compacts (non-hybrid) that see 43 mpg in 30-50 degree weather on city roads.
Indeed. Here in Chicago, smart's on the uprising. There are now double the dealers than what we started with in 2008 (poor Wisconsin needs a Milwaukee dealer though) and I'm seeing new smarts on the roads all the time.

Eloder, I'm very sorry to say that the days of our cars getting better mpg than larger compacts are over. While you and I can get 43 mpg in the city on a warm day, there's nothing stopping any other similar car from doing the same. :(

I'm going to put out a short list of cars that get equal or better mpg for the same cost or lower than our cars:

1. Chevy Spark - 31/39 - $12,170 (less than a brand new pure)

2. Mitsubishi Mirage - 37/44 - $12,995

3. Chevy Sonic - 29/40 (the turbo does even better) - $14,170

4. Nissan Versa - 31/40 - $13,990

5. Ford Fiesta - 32/45 - $14,100

6. Dodge Dart - 28/41 - $15,995

7. Fiat 500 - 31/40 - $16,195 (the most expensive on this list)

Point is, when it comes to MPG and price, we're no longer winning the race. The largest car on this list still gets close to the fortwo's MPG and costs the same.

Also, it's good to note that the fortwo is a city car, not an economy car. It was designed to make city motoring easier, not to shame the Prius at MPG or make the Tata Nano seem expensive. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts

I agree, every time I go to Columbus I see several smarts. my son is living there and said they are every place. and Easton has even added them to the dealer sales fliers. I guess they are now worthy of hanging with the big boys....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts