Smart Car of America Forum banner

I Still Have A BIG Problem

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jo e Lefors 
#1 ·
Well guys it has taken me well over a year to get and replace my alternator had high hopes it solve all my problems but NO.It worked great for 1 day then it quit running while driving engine light came on it dropped a gear and then started back up,Next day went out made a few stops (4) on the last stop came out turned key and no dash info just a horizontal line in gear box no temp no fuel and no beeps just DEAD.Did everything I could think of to get it back shift lever, lock and unlock, etc. in desperation did 2 knocks on the SAM box and it came back.Started car Yellow triangle light was on after it started stayed on the mile or so it took get home. Parked shut it off Started again yellow light was off.Next day went to a get together 12 miles out 12 miles back on the way back 3 miles from home engine light came on quick flash of the battery light shut off dropped a gear and restarted.I need this car can anyone HELP me or contact or send this to Leroy ? summer is coming to an end I need to get this fixed. I'm on SS and can not send it to a garage nor do I have oneof my own. I was a mechanic 30 years ago so I can fix things also have electronics back ground but this is driving NUTS. Again HELP.

#4 ·
in desperation did 2 knocks on the SAM box and it came back.
I seem to recall that the 450 had several problems related to the SAM such as: bad connections, water intrusion, solder whiskers, and more. Your knocking on the SAM resulting in things working again may be an indication of the source of your issue(s). It is also unlikely that electrical issues in the SAM will result in error codes, meaningful ones at least.

~toaster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.