Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from work today, driving my 2015 smart electric, which I've been doing for the past four days, thinking that I wanted to haul an old TV to the Goodwill place. For that, I decided my 2014 E350 Coupe would be the better choice, so I parked the smart on the street, opened the garage, opened the Merc, pressed the ignition button and... nothing.

A quick survey of the vehicle suggested the battery was stone cold dead. A call in to Mercedes Roadside Assistance found a technician just four minutes away, and in minutes he arrived. Yup, the battery needed a jump. All the systems checked out, so I got the jump and the tech told me I should give it a good 25-30 minutes of driving to charge up the battery. So I did. Filled it with gas, even.

In the 25+ years I've owned Mercedes cars, I've never needed a jump start! My E Class has only 19,000 miles on it, stays garaged (except when I'm traveling and leave it at the airport -- as I did Tuesday through Thursday last week) I can only surmise that it's been feeling neglected now that I've added my smart to my stable. Poor thing.

I'll drive it tomorrow. :eek:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I have this

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-S...03942&sr=8-1&keywords=schumacher+ship+n+shore

connected to the jump points under hood of a '12 Mercedes in the garage, set to the appropriate battery type setting, (AGM I believe is correct for yours). Unplug, remove the clamps, close the red + cover, car starts right up 100% of the time....

Recommended by someone on a forum, I can't remember which, I am on somewhere.....

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have this

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-S...03942&sr=8-1&keywords=schumacher+ship+n+shore

connected to the jump points under hood of a '12 Mercedes in the garage, set to the appropriate battery type setting, (AGM I believe is correct for yours). Unplug, remove the clamps, close the red + cover, car starts right up 100% of the time....

Recommended by someone on a forum, I can't remember which, I am on somewhere.....
There is so many electronic systems drawing on a battery during long term sits , I would suggest the tender too , plus it will keep your battery healthy too .
Sounds like a battery tender is in your future.
Funny you should mention that. I just came across one today online. Said to myself, "Hmmmm."

My, how technology has come since the days of jumper cables (of which I have a pair).

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,565 Posts
I have had good service from the "Del Tran" brand of tender. I have been using them for about 10 years on everything from cars to lawn mowers.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Electrical problems in a modern Mercedes? That's something never seen before! ;)
I had a 2000 CLK430 which was produced during those awful Mercedes-Chrysler years. The electrical system on it was grafted onto it from Chrysler's harness, and I had lots of issues with unexplained warning lights, check engine lights, misfires, etc. Once I moved to the newer E-class vehicles (I had a 2012 E350 and now my 2014), not a single electrical problem.

Until Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
You should have it checked for parasitic current drains, and I would be pushing them hard on that point because the car presumably is still under warranty. My 2008 M-B has the original battery and has never needed a jump even after 2 months of inaction.

Our 2002 M-B never had that problem either, though it did have others (as does the 2008).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts