Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice review of the new Twingo. Both engined cars. Great little city vehicle.
Watch the video......... Wish they bring the car here. Is the turbo version worth it?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,079 Posts
I still wonder if Nissan may bring the Twingo to the US under the Nissan brand as something to use against Fiat and MINI, presuming there is adequate factory capacity.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Do you really think MB would allow that. As I recall, when Smart USA/Penske began rumblings to introduce a Nissan made Forfour to fill out their showrooms, their plug was pulled by the Mother ship. Pook!
It's not nice to fool with Mother MB. :D

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car manufacturers can offer 158 SUVs here. Less than a handful of city cars. I haven't owned a car that gets less than 33 miles per gallon in seven years now.

·
17,352 Posts
Do you really think MB would allow that. As I recall, when Smart USA/Penske began rumblings to introduce a Nissan made Forfour to fill out their showrooms, their plug was pulled by the Mother ship. Pook!
It's not nice to fool with Mother MB. :D
Ah yes, Penske's solution was a Nissan Micra wearing smart badges...

·
17,352 Posts
And Dieter Zetsche and Annette Winkler`s solution was a Renault Twingo wearing smart clothes :D
True, though at least it isn't badge engineering like the Micra would've been. The new Twingo/forfour/fortwo share a platform, with the most "Twingo" content going to the forfour at 70%.

And with that thought in mind, Daimler would never let Nissan badge engineer the new Twingo and sell it here...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,079 Posts
True, though at least it isn't badge engineering like the Micra would've been. The new Twingo/forfour/fortwo share a platform, with the most "Twingo" content going to the forfour at 70%.

And with that thought in mind, Daimler would never let Nissan badge engineer the new Twingo and sell it here...
I think that's only true if the forfour comes stateside. With no forfour, there is no real fratricide threat.

·
17,352 Posts
I think that's only true if the forfour comes stateside. With no forfour, there is no real fratricide threat.
Actually there is, remember the fortwo also shares a high percentage of parts with the Twingo.

Because then, potential smart buyers could go:
Why buy a smart fortwo when you can get the same thing from Nissan but with two more seats and a much better dealer network?

And then that also goes back to the original problem. Why let Nissan sell the forfour here when they could just do it themselves?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Actually there is, remember the fortwo also shares a high percentage of parts with the Twingo.

Why buy a smart fortwo when you can get the same thing from Nissan but with two more seats and a much better dealer network?

And then that also goes back to the original problem. Why let Nissan sell the forfour here when they could just do it themselves?
And I think the Twingo IS a better looking car than what smart conjured up with Renault...

I'd buy the Renault , given the the choice .

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. The Renault Clio, a perfectly fine car, shared the platform with and became the Nissan Tilda/Versa (and Cube), mostly reviled. The Nissan <> Renault hookup happened in 1998 and there has yet to be much benefit for the US.

Will wait for the forfour...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,079 Posts

I'll have to disagree. I don't believe the fortwo and the Twingo would have a high percentage of target audience overlap and potential fortwo owners can already choose a Twingo-class vehicle in the Fiat 500. If, and that's a big if, MB won't bring the forfour to the US and you have spare production capacity and believe you can sell enough to make it worth the venture (you already have established dealerships everywhere), then why not offer a viable competitor to Fiat, and some extent MINI, through hundreds of dealerships? Nissan has already proven that they'll invest in lower volume vehicles that may require some retooling at the dealerships with the Leaf. Of course, none of us know what deals were struck behind the curtain that may limit the offerings based on the new platforms.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
..no you don't want one...screw the looks and the badging...it rides like crap...it feels like being in a tin can with wheels...

Jetfuel...seriously....

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone posted a week ago, the top selling city cars in Germany. The Twingo, 500, Adam, I10. Were top sellers there. The For Four, only sold 22 units that same month, in its home country. MB should have styled the For Four as a 4 door couple, like the Twingo. Hiding the rear door handle. That detail also worked for the Chevy Spark.

I could see Fiat here working a deal here. Rebadging the Renault Twingo as a small 500 four door model. Very similar looks. Crazier things have happen. The rebadged Corolla as a Chevy.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Someone posted a week ago, the top selling city cars in Germany. The Twingo, 500, Adam, I10. Were top sellers there. The For Four, only sold 22 units that same month, in its home country.
It was me, and to me it`s pretty amazing it sold 22 cars when the vehicle is not on sale yet :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts