Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick recap, I purchased 2015 Pure Fortwo that was basic with steel rims and hubcaps. I upgraded to mag Rims and had new tires and TPMS sensors put on at Discount tire. MyTPMS warning light came on and i went to Mercedes to see how much to fix the problem. Mercedes wanted $1,100 to remove & install & program 4 TPMS sensors. I ended up putting back the original sensor,s and it fixed the problem, It then dawned on me that if for whatever reason Discount Tire wasn’t able to program new tpm sensors, then I would be looking at spending $1,100 when one of my TPMS sensor batteries go dead in a couple years (the battery life is only 10 years in a TPMS and the battery cannot be replaced). I was watching a YouTube video on tpms sensors and the mechanic recommended the smart sensor pro. I ordered one off amazon for $175 and it had smart cars in its database. I was easily able to scan each tire for info about the battery and even program a new TPMS. I however read that they did not come with the OBDI cable you need to program some TPMS sensors, and would have to buy separately. I returned the one from Amazon and bought a brand new Smart Sensor off eBay for $150.00 including the OBDI cable. Not everyone would want one, but I figure I can test my sensors before and after I take off my winter tires, and identify the bad tire if my TPMS light does detect a battery that has gone dead. I just figure $150 is worth it to me to check my own sensors, and if I am able to program new ones myself it will end up paying Mercedes $1,100 or discount $60 a single sensor if they were not able to correctly program mine. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts