Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2015 fortwo pure that had only 9k miles and it looked like it had just been driven off the showroom. Because it had the steel rims and hubcaps i immediately wanted to upgrade to mag wheels. It seems like every Mercedes dealership is discounting smart car parts and I bougot four new OEM rims for less then remanufactured. Because the smart doesn’t have a big trunk,I took the rims down and had them mounted with new tires and new tpms sensors installed, then just drove the car down to discount tire and had them switch out all four wheels and trash the steel wheels but kept the hubcaps. i took the car to Mercedes for an oil change and the dealership says my tpms light is on and that the tpms that they put in at discount for $60 each do not work with Mercedes-Benz and it would cost $1,100 for them to install and reprogram the sensors. The service manager suggested I check to see if discount still had my old tires and put the old mercades tpms sensors on my new tires, since the tpms worked fine before I switched out the tires, i guess the moral of my story is I learned what everyone already knew in this forum, and that you need to do your due diligence and research a project and before discarding anything that you might have to buy back or have reinstalled by Mercede, since it wont be cheap

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased a 2015 fortwo pure that had only 9k miles and it looked like it had just been driven off the showroom. Because it had the steel rims and hubcaps i immediately wanted to upgrade to mag wheels. It seems like every Mercedes dealership is discounting smart car parts and I bougot four new OEM rims for less then remanufactured. Because the smart doesn’t have a big trunk,I took the rims down and had them mounted with new tires and new tpms sensors installed, then just drove the car down to discount tire and had them switch out all four wheels and trash the steel wheels but kept the hubcaps. i took the car to Mercedes for an oil change and the dealership says my tpms light is on and that the tpms that they put in at discount for $60 each do not work with Mercedes-Benz and it would cost $1,100 for them to install and reprogram the sensors. The service manager suggested I check to see if discount still had my old tires and put the old mercades tpms sensors on my new tires, since the tpms worked fine before I switched out the tires, i guess the moral of my story is I learned what everyone already knew in this forum, and that you need to do your due diligence and research a project and before discarding anything that you might have to buy back or have reinstalled by Mercede, since it wont be cheap
Always save usable old parts just in case, however, storage can be an issue. Your old rims and tires can probably be sold to another smart owner even if they are steelies.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
TPMS is an option I am in no hurry to fix. I've got one bad sensor and will not get it replaced now and maybe not even when I buy new tires which won't be for five years or more. It's not needed to pass inspection here. It's just one of those add on electronic gadgets that you pay for, but things that a conscientious driver doesn't need. I check the air in the tires of my cars like I have been doing for fifty years.

Len

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,759 Posts
I purchased a 2015 fortwo pure that had only 9k miles and it looked like it had just been driven off the showroom.

i took the car to Mercedes for an oil change and the dealership says my tpms light is on and that the tpms that they put in at discount for $60 each do not work with Mercedes-Benz and it would cost $1,100 for them to install and reprogram the sensors. The service manager suggested I check to see if discount still had my old tires and put the old mercades tpms sensors on my new tires, since the tpms worked fine before I switched out the tires.
Welcome to SCoA!

Did your dash show the TPMS warning light?

That should have been obvious to you without dealer assistance UNLESS Discount (for lack of seeing the old sensors?) installed monitors that are seeking the wrong frequency thus are not connecting to your smart? BUT even then, I’d have expected a “fault” on the dash?

My friendly advice - be at Discount Tire MONDAY MORNING, they will make it right!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
It sounds like the tires and TPMS sensors were bought at an undisclosed location, mounted onto loose wheels, then driven to Discount Tire who did the swap. That "undisclosed location" needs to provide replacement sensors that work. As far as I know they do not require any type of programming the smart ECU is smart and reads them if they are the proper frequency and functional.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to SCoA!

Did your dash show the TPMS warning light?

That should have been obvious to you without dealer assistance UNLESS Discount (for lack of seeing the old sensors?) installed monitors that are seeking the wrong frequency thus are not connecting to your smart? BUT even then, I’d have expected a “fault” on the dash?

My friendly advice - be at Discount Tire MONDAY MORNING, they will make it right!
You are absolutely right, it was my bad for not bringing the car in to have the tires changed on the car. My car didn’t have the TPMS ligh come on when I purchased it, but in Colorado it is taking over 30 business days to get title and plates and I didn‘t want to drive the car around without a temporary tag or plates. I purchased the car from a private party and they took the plates and the DMV is not giving out temporary tags. So I was running the hubs down to discount and having them mounted & balanced. The sales guy suggested new TPMS sensors since the battery life is only 10 years and the car is almost 7 years old. They said they could program new TPMS sensors they carry for a smart. I put them on and Mercedes came and picked up the car for the oil change and noticed the warning light. Luckily I was able to get my old TPMS sensors back and then spent two days running the tires back and forth to Discount tires to have the sensors switched back. Son of a gun it worked !!! I was worried I would be resetting them every time I switched back and forth the summer tires with the winter tires, but the warning light recognized both sets of rear tires. I just wanted to let Smart car owners know that something as simple as buying new tires can turn into a nightmare If you change out Non OEM sensors. In Discount Tires defense they would have caught the warning light, but would have said you have to drive the car a coupe miles after you reset the TPMS For it to go off (which I had to do after switching back the old sensors) and as you mentioned we should all be checking the warning lights after having any work done. However discount tires seemEd sure that they could program their TPMS for a smart car, which according to the Mercedes service manager the Smart TPMS system will only recognize OEM Mercedes sensor’s. I don’t know if that is true, but my warning light is off.

·
17,476 Posts
I don't blame you for tossing parts! :) I somewhat regularly build cheap rally cars. My former policy was to keep everything I could reuse or sell. Then I began figuring out that a lot of the parts I sat on were worthless and I never needed again. So now I only keep stuff of real value.

Aftermarket sensors can work with these cars provided they are the correct specs. You can get new TPMS for them from Tire Rack or Amazon for a hilariously steep discount over the dealership.

Unfortunately, as I've personally witnessed over the past 12 years or so the dealerships don't always tell the truth. And some are way worse than others.

I hope you're able to get that tire shop to reimburse you for their incompetence! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great input Tiny-car-guy on TPMS! Going to switch tires from Run Flats to normal tires on 2013 Mini Cooper S, as it rides like a go-cart. Will keep my old TPMS sensors... intact. Be glad that Smart Cars do not use run flat tires... big BS idea from BMW & big money maker for Continental tire CO & other brads making such run flats. These tires give poor ride quality & cost ~ 40% more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts