Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum as of yesterday. My wife bought a used 2012 Smart Car late last month. I live in Ocala. The car was originally purchased in California and was brought to Florida. It has only 12K miles and is in great shape. I have a question that maybe one of the members of this forum can answer, I hope. This car has a round module that is attached to the front windshield just behind the rear view mirror. Well recently is came loose from the windshield and is hanging down by its wire. I have called at least two Smart Car dealerships located in Orlando and Gainesville to try and find out what this thing is and what it supposed to do. So far I have not received any positive answers. The service and parts department of these dealerships have no clue for what this part is or what it is supposed to do. One dealership asked me to locate a part number on this module which there isn't any. Someone told me it may be a sensor of some sort like maybe for activating the wipers when it starts raining. Anyway this module has come loose from the windshield and I need to find a way to re-attach it back. It has some kind of gel on the back of the module which I supposed made it adhere to the windshield which has now gone bad. I would appreciate anyone's help to identify what this thing is and how do I reattach it back on the windshield. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
28,685 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Hard to believe a smart center would claim to not know what that is (especially since it is now standard on the current year cars) - it's the "hockey puck" that controls the auto lights and wiper functions (described in the owners manual.) Sounds like the adhesive has failed - a good auto glass shop should be able to fix you up. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to try and repair it yourself, clean the back of the puck, and the windshield and then get some glass adhesive. (Super glue for plastic and glass, not the normal stuff).
Best bet is as jwight said, an automotive glass shop has the real glue and will fix it right, should not be too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Plan on a new gel pad if you decide on the DIY route. When I had my windshield replaced, they tried to reuse the old one. The auto wipers didn't work and they had to return and replace the pad for the auto function to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Plan on a new gel pad if you decide on the DIY route. When I had my windshield replaced, they tried to reuse the old one. The auto wipers didn't work and they had to return and replace the pad for the auto function to work.
Oh, thats interesting, I never knew that.... Nice tip.

I actually want to pull mine off... It blocks my vision around corners when I am doing canyon runs.... It's on my to-do list to unplug it and see if everything still works in manual.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I saw the "lights/wipers" reference and I have to ask (don't have a hockey puck) . . . do the lights come on automatically with the wipers? And is this also the case in manual mode - if you turn on the wipers, do the lights come on?

Should be a fail-safe for the system to operate manually. If you disconnect the hockey puck, logic suggests you'd be OK.

I thought the wiper//lights connection should be standard for smart and easy with all the smart controls. It would be an interesting update/upgrade for the SAM. Combined with other updates, it spells an incentive to have the dealer do your next service. It's all about merketing. (Got my phone from Google because they will always update to the lastest Android where the phone carrier may not. So far, it worked.)

·
Registered
763 Posts
New pad

Any suggestion where I can get a new gel pad?
I'm a ham radio operator, as are a number of smart owners. There are a number of 'through the glass' antennas that use a mounting pad. The manufacturers offer a "reinstall" kit so when you change vehicles you can remove and reinstall your antenna. That suggests there should be a part number for the mounting pad. It sounds like your local smart dealers aren't the best source for information. Perhaps someone here has the part number or you could call a smart dealer outside your area or smart USA

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
The safelite glass guy said they got the pads from smart and the "kit" was about $15. Smart parts online should have it. Smart Online Parts
They are part of Smart Center Englewood (NJ). I've always found them helpful both for parts and for dealer service. I don't know how active the online site is these days but you can always call them: 888-211-8045

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Even if you remove the hockey puck, the mount is still bonded to the windshield. The module fastens to two ears on the w/s mount by a spring clip attached to the module that fastens to two ears on the mount. The visible round hockey puck is just a cover that snaps onto the mount to cover the module. Of course the gel pad is sandwiched between the glass and module.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I think I just bought this car. Also in Ocala. Love it!
Glad to see another smart owner in the Ocala area. Was it the one found on the used car lot on 200 by the Shell station. I kinda hope so as whenever Max, our 08 carbrio, goes to Publix he sees that one on the lot and feels sorry for it. Been there a long..... time. As you know most North Central Floridians like BIG vehicles. Whatever enjoy your new smart and maybe we'll see on the roads sometime. Max is usually running around Holder, Dunnellon, Rainbow Springs area with our two bikes on the back. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I missed that one! Have to go visit it. This one was at AutoMax. It was traded in I think at Nissan from what I could gather. I'm pretty sure I have seen this one around town bc it has a funky square cut out of the back bumper. Funny about the name. My daughter and I went with Thaddeus, instead of Maxwell. I work near that Target (200 & 17th St)so if you are ever in the area pm me. Love to compare notes. These are as addicting as the Triumphs I grew up with. Only problem is I have to share Thaddeus with my daughter..... sad really...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts