Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided as we were passing through San Jose, CA to stop at the smart center there to check out the 453.

When I got there I saw a 2014 ED sitting there and took it for a test drive. First, wow it has a kick. Then looked at the sticker and it was marked $29000. Ouch. After the drive went in and asked more about the ed. It is sold as "new" and has 241 miles on it. It is a sled and battery (so no BAP) and they have the price dropped to $10,990 with fees. (What salesman told me.)

Just in case someone is looking. It's a convertible, cloth seats, no seat heaters, no arm rest, 2-speaker system with single din stereo.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
So let me ask - did the price drop TO $10,990 or did it drop BY $10,990? If it dropped to $10,990,then that is a smoking hot deal. If that car has never been titled, then a buyer would also be eligible for a $7500 tax credit. That car would also still have a full factory warranty starting on the day you buy it. All I can say is WOW!!!

What color is the car?

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
832 Posts
let me try to translate salesman speak:
$10,990 is probably after the $7500 federal and $2500 CA tax credits, so the price is really $20,990.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,120 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just noticed they updated the price on website. Yesterday was still showing listed as $29,000.

Salesman I spoke with was Vinny Do (if I recall) and he asked manager if that was plus BAP and was told no. It includes battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
... and he asked manager if that was plus BAP and was told no. It includes battery.
Ah, good old Vinny talked to the Manager...

I'd be shocked if it is COMPLETE as they would be throwing $5,000 at a no margin sale just to make it go away?

Devil is in the details, don't sign if the paperwork includes a BAP Agreement...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, good old Vinny talked to the Manager...

I'd be shocked if it is COMPLETE as they would be throwing $5,000 at a no margin sale just to make it go away?

Devil is in the details, don't sign if the paperwork includes a BAP Agreement...

I did my due diligence by asking. Heard the entire conversation and I specifically asked if there would be the $80/ month bap on top of that. Was told No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Price is good but doesn't seem unreasonable and may include the battery. Consider that if you bought a 2014 brand new in 2014, the price is $26K but you cut out $10K in tax credits and have any negotiating skill at all and you got it for $15K, including battery. Thus, if you let it sit on the lot for 2 or 3 years, it's not unreasonable for them to ask $11K.

Look at it another way, you can currently buy a gently used 2014 for under $5K. Add $5K for a battery and it'd be less than this car, with the only difference being some 10K in mileage (I think I'd prefer the lower mileage car and pay the extra grand, but the price is about right). It'd be better IMHO to not buy the battery but get BAP instead. Or you could try to take a chance that MB finance will not bother to track you down and not buy the battery or BAP (reports are mixed with some claiming they weren't tracked down while others said they were).

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Price is good but doesn't seem unreasonable and may include the battery. Consider that if you bought a 2014 brand new in 2014, the price is $26K but you cut out $10K in tax credits and have any negotiating skill at all and you got it for $15K, including battery. Thus, if you let it sit on the lot for 2 or 3 years, it's not unreasonable for them to ask $11K.
You lost me on this one? And how did the dealer get a $10k tax credit for a vehicle that was never registered in CA?

Don't forget that this is a NEW MY14 cabrio ($26k?, was upwards of $29k) which typically commands a premium over a coupe as a pre-owned.

Obviously it's the dealer's "dead smart walking" and he can sell it for whatever he wishes.

As for BAP, many a pre-owned "hot ED deal" is still sitting on the lot because of that hidden $80 battery "tax" ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
You lost me on this one? And how did the dealer get a $10k tax credit for a vehicle that was never registered in CA?

Don't forget that this is a NEW MY14 cabrio ($26k?, was upwards of $29k) which typically commands a premium over a coupe as a pre-owned.

Obviously it's the dealer's "dead smart walking" and he can sell it for whatever he wishes.

As for BAP, many a pre-owned "hot ED deal" is still sitting on the lot because of that hidden $80 battery "tax" ...
You seem to be missing the whole point of the post, which is that it is not unreasonable for the dealership to sell the sled and battery for that price. But let's deal with your confusion about the details. The MSRP of the cabrio in 2014 is reported by cars.com to be $28K. Autoweek states that SMART was running a $2K rebate at the time. Thus, $26K starting price; I wasn't buying cabrios at the time, so I don't know that for a fact, but it seems a reasonable starting point. Whenever anyone walks into a MB dealership in California, the salesperson is going to assume they pay enough federal tax to qualify for the $7500 tax credit and enough California state tax to qualify for the $2500 tax credit; thus $10K in total tax credits. If the OP had told the salesman he didn't qualify for either tax credit, I'm sure he'd have quoted a different price. Throw in depreciation for a car that sits on the lot for a couple years and the asking price is reasonable. But I don't want to quibble about the details as different dealerships and different car buyers will end up coming to significantly different values, but the ballpark of what they are asking is reasonable, even if the battery is included. I don't find it an outrageously low asking price.

I will agree with you that the BAP issue is depressing resale values as well as causing all sorts of legal issues for resales. Although it is not an $80 tax but rather a mix of an extended warranty and a lease of the battery. Some of us see the value of the extended warranty while others do not. It'll be fascinating to see how the whole BAP issue sorts itself out in the coming year or two. How aggressively will they chase unknowing resale owners? Will they discontinue the BAP program altogether? We'll find out in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Are you all talking about the same car here? Post #1 says the mileage is 241. The link on Post #6 shows 13 miles. When I bought my 2014 in the summer of 2015, the option to lease the car had expired. I think that meant that the BAP option had expired too, since that was never brought up again. Not positive about that. I bought the car and battery. If the car had ever been titled, even to the dealer, then the $7500 federal rebate is gone. Sounds like it never was titled. I'd snap it up in a second, if I was in need of a second electric car, assuming it is what I think it is.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I bought my 2014 in the summer of 2015, the option to lease the car had expired. I think that meant that the BAP option had expired too, since that was never brought up again. Not positive about that. I bought the car and battery.
Interesting Len. So your car was new; not resold (it had just been sitting there for a couple years)? I'm guessing they showed you the MSRP, offered you some large discount because it had been sitting there, but did not discount it for the BAP program (hence you purchased the battery)?

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Are you all talking about the same car here? Post #1 says the mileage is 241. The link on Post #6 shows 13 miles.
Yes, 13 miles at delivery per Carfax and after two hard (untitled) years guarding the lot now shows 241 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
Interesting Len. So your car was new; not resold (it had just been sitting there for a couple years)? I'm guessing they showed you the MSRP, offered you some large discount because it had been sitting there, but did not discount it for the BAP program (hence you purchased the battery)?
Correct - my car sat on their lot for about a year and a half. That in itself worried me, but I pulled the trigger anyway. The whole experience was the best one I ever had buying a car. Never saw the car in person until it arrived at my driveway - car was in VA and I live in NC. Glad I did - we absolutely love the car. Warranty started the day we bought it. Bought the sled and the battery. After their discount, my USAA discount and the federal rebate, the car ended up costing me a little under $13K. Car had 270 miles on it when we bought it. It had never been titled. We probably use it for 95% of our driving now.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
On a similar note, my son bought a brand new 2015 about six months ago that had been sitting on the lot for a year and a half. After discounts and the federal credit, he ended up with a final cost of just under $10K.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
254 Posts
On a similar note, my son bought a brand new 2015 about six months ago that had been sitting on the lot for a year and a half. After discounts and the federal credit, he ended up with a final cost of just under $10K.

Len
2014 EV
Just under $10K including the battery or did he get to under $10K using a $5K discount and he pays the $80 per month BAP?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts