Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is up for a little drive this would be an AWESOME event to attend.

This is my translation of an email I received from Smart Club Mexico. Wish we could go but the federal district is a long drive from Palm Springs. We are headed to Mexico for a month or so in January but not that far south. It would be a way fun event to attend. I estimate 3 days of travelling. The roads between here and there are excellent but count on a couple hundred or more in tolls on the toll roads. Here is the email.

This year we are celebrating 10 years since our first reunion of Smart Club Mexico and because of this we invite you to the national reunion for this year in which we will celebrate 10 years of having a place to meet in which we have learned lots about our smarties and most of all a place where we have made many friends and shared our passion for the smart car.

The date of the reunion is 16 and 17 November. (Saturday and Sunday). This year the host city is Mexico City as this is the city where the club was born 10 years ago. It will start at 9 AM at the "Off Road Mexico" facilities.

Este año estamos celebrando 10 años desde nuestra primer reunión del smart Club México, es por ello que te invitamos a la Reunión Nacional de este año en donde celebraremos nuestros diez años de tener un espacio en donde hemos aprendido mucho de nuestros smart y sobre todo, en donde hemos hecho muy buenos amigos que comparten el mismo gusto por smart.

There will be many activities including driving tests etc and there will also be a pair of E-Bikes for you to use. Meguires will be there and will be selling products, a food area as well as other activities.

Smart Mexico and its distributors will be there and they are bringing a "Star Diagnosis Machine" so whoever wants to can have their smartie scanned.

We are counting on you to spread the word to anyone you know with a smart car who wants to attend and hopefully we will break the attendance record.

You can visit the following link and sign up. Hope to see you there.

Smart Club México.

For the spanish speakers here is the original text. The translation above is my own and not a literal translation. Spanish is my third language...and not always my best, :)

La fecha es el sábado 16 y domingo 17 de Noviembre, este año la ciudad sede será la Ciudad de México, ya que es la ciudad que vio nacer este club 10 años atras. La cita es a partir de las 9am en las instalaciones de Off Road Mexico ( Off Road Mexico ).

En donde tendremos muchas actividades durante el día como pruebas de manejo, el laberinto smart, habrá un par de e-bike para que las usen, contaremos con la presencia de Meguiars para que puedan adquirir los productos de limpieza y estética para la tradicional ceremonia del trapito y área de comida, entre otras actividades.

Contaremos con el apoyo de corporativo y de las distribuidoras smart de Mexico DF, las cuales llevaran el STAR DIAGNOSIS para que lo que quieran, puedan “scannear” su smart y revisar que todo este en optimas condiciones.

Por la noche contaremos con la presencia del Autocinema Coyote ( en el mismo lugar del evento ) que estará proyectando alguna película ( pelicula por definir ).

El domingo 17 nos juntaremos para desayunar y posteriormente tendremos una caravana rumbo al Zocalo de la Ciudad de Mexico en donde tendremos nuestra comida oficial del club en donde entregaremos algunos reconocimientos. ( lugares del desayuno y comida estamos por confirmarlos )

Esperamos contar con la participación de todos ustedes para romper récord de asistentes. Avisenle a todos sus conocidos que tengan smart y aun no están en el club.

En el siguiente link podrán ver toda la información, de igual manera les pedimos nos confirmen su asistencia allí mismo.

Smart Club México

Los esperamos!

smart Club México

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got the same message, but going there at this date is unfortunately out of the question. Too bad, sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Some time ago, we had a gathering of smarts here in Chapala, with many from the Guadalajara area. This 10th anniversary of the smart club of Mexico should be a lot of fun, but I will have to miss it too. I no longer drive, due to failing eyesight. However, if any of you can attend, I guarantee that you will be very welcome and will meet a wonderful bunch of smart owners and their families. There is always good food, drink and entertainment in the Mexican tradition of a good fiesta. Yes, the highways are fantastic, for those of you who have not yet driven in Mexico, but the tolls are high. Unlike the USA, the tolls include complete insurance and roadside assistance on the toll roads. Green Angel assistance is also available anywhere. The food is great, the weather just fine and you may not want to go home.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some time ago, we had a gathering of smarts here in Chapala, with many from the Guadalajara area. This 10th anniversary of the smart club of Mexico should be a lot of fun, but I will have to miss it too. I no longer drive, due to failing eyesight. However, if any of you can attend, I guarantee that you will be very welcome and will meet a wonderful bunch of smart owners and their families. There is always good food, drink and entertainment in the Mexican tradition of a good fiesta. Yes, the highways are fantastic, for those of you who have not yet driven in Mexico, but the tolls are high. Unlike the USA, the tolls include complete insurance and roadside assistance on the toll roads. Green Angel assistance is also available anywhere. The food is great, the weather just fine and you may not want to go home.
Yah that's kinda the problem with going to cities like Guad etc. Once you live there for a bit you are kinda ruined for living anywhere else. Next year we are going down the Baja but will take the ferry across to the mainland in the spring. We would like to make it back to Guad but that part of the trip will be tight for time. Ojala.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
We'll miss it to, however, we're planning on going for Christmas to GDL! Can't wait!
BTW the Nationals in Mexico are every November, around the 20th, so perhaps we can start planning on attending in the future.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would love to drive a smart car down there but that's a long ways from available parts or qualified service techs for the CDI diesels. We are taking it down to San Felipe for a month in January but that's a heck of a lot closer. I think San Carlos would be as far as south as we would go with it. Maybe if it was a gasser but not in a CDI. The other thing is the vehicle permit. One per person and we already have 10 year permits for the motorhomes so we can't leave the hassle free zone which ends at San Carlos. After that you need the hologram on your window. Not going to work if it's past San Carlos for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts