Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I send all the extra stuff with it or trade it in the way I bought it? Then sell all the extra stuff in the market place?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd strip it and sell it. Just traded in my 2009 Pure with 40k and got $6,000 at a Suzuki dealer. He admitted that he would probably take it to auction since they really didn't know the smart.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I would absolutely re-install all the original parts if I were to trade mine in, especially at a non-smart dealer. You should be able to get something for your upgraded pieces that would more than compensate you for the trouble of shipping, and take some of the sting out of the trade in price. At least, that's my hope for you. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured. I never thought I would get rid of it. I haven't missed driving it lately. Just going to the dealer takes a 1/2 day. Its been wonderful. I find I get cranky at it for being what I used to like and thats no way to spend a lot of time behind the wheel. I find out what they will give me on Sat.

FWIW, going for VW Jetta TDI and smartie is 08 with 93,000 miles. Almost at 4 yrs of ownership (Sept 23). I've seen more smarties driving now than I did when I was driving my smartie.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Sell your excess including cruise if you have it. 93k. :( I'd look into private party if you have the time, I can't see them offering more than $4800 for it. :(

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The prices of well used Smarts appear to be going down as they pass the 4 year mark. A 6k trade in price probably translates to about a 5k market value.

I expect interest from young buyers will start to build for our iconic cars once more of the 08's-09's hit that magic 5k mark.

Let's all hope for a renaissance of youth interest in quirky, cheap little cars. Owning VW bug in the 60-70's was such a rush.

Can an old bagged out 4-2 fill the Bug's shoes here in the new millennium ? :D A2Jack

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
First, I agree if you are going to trade you will not get any extra for the added goodies. Either way, you will likely get offered less than you may think it is worth. The dealer will not give you any more than whatever figure he can get from a wholesaler.

If you do purchase a Jetta TDI I have two pieces of advice. First, do not go more than 75-80k miles before doing the engine timing belt. If the belt or any of the rolling elements fail the cylinder head will require overhaul or replacement. $$$$

Use the correct VW spec oil for the TDI. The oil required is very specific and that engine is about the hardest on oil I have seen. I have seen pictures of late model TDI engines with only 100k miles on them and having used only Amsoil and they had the cam followers (lifters) and cams badly worn, as in holes in some of the followers. Take proper care of it and it will go hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Can an old bagged out 4-2 fill the Bug's shoes here in the new millennium ? :D A2Jack
I think it's just about the closest thing we have these days. I was truly hoping that VW would take the opportunity when "reintroducing" the New Beetle to incorporate more of the philosophy of the original, and offer buyers an affordable, efficient, small car. Unfortunately, while I do like it for what it is, the latest iteration of the Beetle appears to be none of these things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got offered 4K, I will end up taking it. If no one in the mean time wants it. The dealer gets nothing extra but the private person gets a bunch of stuff. It's listed in the market place.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Pasde2. Read your ad, and if I might suggest...

Tell the mileage, post a pix, praise the car. Forget telling about all the add on stuff. Make clear the car is not a wreck or broken down, just high miles. Runs good etc. Good Luck :) A2Jack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
today was the day

I hope smartie finds someone else, who will also love it. I wrote all kinds of secret notes in the maintenance booklet. VW will be sending it to auction, who knows where it will end up. I did leave the winter mats in it, thats it. Now to sell all the extra stuff. I'm keeping my login, as I hope the new owner will visit SCOA and can get all the records I kept. I will always appreciate smarties as they really are fun cars! My best to all of you and I will be lurking on the site as usual. It was a good 4 years:D all 93,366 miles of it. Reservation 11/27/07 delivery 9/16/08 trade in 7/28/12.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The prices of well used Smarts appear to be going down as they pass the 4 year mark. A 6k trade in price probably translates to about a 5k market value.

I expect interest from young buyers will start to build for our iconic cars once more of the 08's-09's hit that magic 5k mark.

Let's all hope for a renaissance of youth interest in quirky, cheap little cars. Owning VW bug in the 60-70's was such a rush.

The Beetle was different. Anybody with a little set of garage tools could overhaul its simple engine and transmission. No special tools or major outlays of computer money required. Those days, unfortunately, are over. Nobody wants something you have to pay $450 just to LOOK at a service manual you can't buy at Autozone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Really, trade a car in? I feel that is the worse thing anyone can do. Why would anyone trade a car in and take such a beating on the real value of your car.

Remember, the "stealer" (no mater what dealership it is) is only out to make money off you and make you think you are getting a great deal!

I hope it goes to a good home......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts