Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight leaving from work, I backed out of the parking spot, and heard a strange noise. Thinking I hit something or ran over something I got out and checked. Nothing... Got back in and pulled forward and heard a loud rubbing sound. It appears that the right front spring broke and the tire is rubbing the inside of the fender well.

Too many rough roads and speed bumps in the parking lot I guess. Since it is 43 miles from home, Now what?? Looking into options I guess. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
Stuff something into the spring to support it for now? Of course, that'll require a jack or a snowbank you can stick the left side of the car into.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much room in there with the larger tires, (right side) and with everything mostly plastic it's going to be tough. I will probably have it on a flat bed to a repair shop to replace the spring. The joys of owning an older car that has been abused (hit 2 deer and lots of potholes)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the little guy home using a Uhaul car trailer and a Uhaul pickup. Much cheaper than a tow truck for the distance I had to go. Not much fun getting the straps on the front tire with the broken spring. Luckily there were a few 4x4 blocks laying around from when they were (and still are) working on the roof so I used them to pry the body up and get the straps positioned.

I am seriously considering the EV shocks/struts. With the larger tires I wouldn't mind a few more inches of room in the wheel wells.I would go with the heavier struts up front, and also in the rear. Anybody done this yet?? It will match my other 4x4's ...

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. that below zero temperatures cause the roads to expand and crack so they get darn rough, and then there are the potholes... Last summer they tore al the streets up around where I live and they didn't quite finish them before the cold weather hit. Manhole covers are a good 6-8 inches below the street surface, and the curbs are about 3 inches above the street levels. Once I get to work, they added 4 'speed bumps' that unless I stop for them, bottoms out the car. all the other cars and trucks don't even slow down for them.

Thus my thought about the EV springs for more clearance and weight handling.Not sure what else it will affect like steering angles and driveline angles....

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
A few people are rolling around on the Tesla ED springs. You basically get the Daystar lift kit's worth of height with overall more beefy components. You may need to get an alignment done, though. :)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to try for some before and after measurements and see if I can find some place for the alignment. The places in town here don't have the equipment to handle a car this narrow. Dealer is 45 miles away but that may be the only place to go...

Should be interesting to see how it turns out with the larger tires on there!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Springs and shocks arrived! maybe this weekend??? We'll see how it goes, if the struts get replaced or just the springs in front and if the rear shocks get replaced or just the springs... depends on the weather I guess.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been stuck either at work, or watching the grandson so still haven't installed the struts or springs yet. The replacement ones look mighty nice... still a bit concerned about finding a shop to do the alignment...

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, spent most of the day watchin the grandson, and trying to work on the smart. I ended up buying a socket set so I can go through the socket and put a torx bit into the strut shaft, only to find out I need a longer torx bit.Nothing available locally so I ordered one from Amazon. Should be here Monday along with rain.... Nice day outside and they say tomorrow will be the same. We'll see.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/sockets/2292076

Also noticed a stone chip on the windshield that looks like it may spread... Of Course!!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at it again.. Got the extended T45 socket I needed only to find the center of the shock is stripped out. Today I tried clamping an extra large vise-grip on the shock shaft, and of course it slips... so I removed the fender, headlight, etc and used the fire torch. NOW the stupid sway bar link won't come off!1 Nut and threads are rusted I guess so we will be replacing them too. Ordered from RockAuto and should be here next week.

And people wonder why I have so many tools....

P.S. Had the hose on hand to extinguish any burning plastic, rubber, etc. no problems there!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stabilizer links arrived Rockauto had them for $11, much better than even the MB parts site From the looks o the new ones, my old ones are probably worn out.I guess it is good they are being replaced.

Now if the rain would just stop...

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright!!! Got the broken spring/strut out and the new one in!! Had to cut off strut top, and sway bar link to get them out. Went together a lot easier than it came apart.

Now for the other side... but probably not this weekend as tomorrow is booked, and so is tonight. Hopefully it goes much easier than the broken side.

Looks like the spring broke in 2 places, or it has been broken for quite a while before the bottom coil broke and dropped the car.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How did the second spring and shock replacement go? How did the ride height end up? How is driving feel with new install?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good questions... wish I could answer them... Since the first strut install, I have been busy clearing out my Dad's basement\workshop, fixing windows on the house, and trying to keep the truck running, all while working overtime at work and watching the grandson. Top that with rain and not having a garage to work in makes for not much done on the car. I cringe every time I add a tank of gas in the truck...

Hopefully it will stop raining and I will get a Saturday off to work on the car!!

I should have retired so I am not working so hard (yeah riiight!!)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so far I have the second side done, and the spring on the drivers side was also broken but wasn't rubbing anything. I was suprised to see it broken too. I wonder what I will find in the back as I have a set for them also.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also noticed the front bottom plastic panel (under the car) is missing... and the plastic parts over the rear shocks (on the bottom) are also missing.. i am wondering if perhaps someone put lowering springs on at one point. The front looks to be raised more the 3 inches...Which I don't have a problem with.

wasn't able to get back to the rear suspension this weekend. I may need to find a more solid surface to work on as the back will need lots of raising and lowering to remove the shocks and springs. Grass won't cut it. The jack just sinks with all the rain we have had (and are still getting)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Also noticed the front bottom plastic panel (under the car) is missing... and the plastic parts over the rear shocks (on the bottom) are also missing.. i am wondering if perhaps someone put lowering springs on at one point. The front looks to be raised more the 3 inches...Which I don't have a problem with.

wasn't able to get back to the rear suspension this weekend. I may need to find a more solid surface to work on as the back will need lots of raising and lowering to remove the shocks and springs. Grass won't cut it. The jack just sinks with all the rain we have had (and are still getting)
Did you replace the Bottom panel? I have not had the front under tray on my Smart in the three years that I have had it. My rear under tray has a crack and missing one fastening clip. I vowed not to put the front panel on, but after recent front end work I can now see how that front under tray panel is part of the front clip stability structure, so now I intend to install new Front and Rear
under tray pieces.

What Springs did you go with? I am interested in your increase in wheel well Height. My current tire sizing, with stock original 2014 springs, is close to maxed out up front. When sitting still with passenger seated I am very close to a rub. Next intended tire set up may need more room. A strut change is being worked out but will take time to get it right (Looking for a compatible double adjustable front strut and spring combo to get done over the winter) My mind wants new stock springs with the double adjustable strut up front mainly to dial in the rebound. Another shop is more set on having rear double adjustable shocks to control the front end more like a drag car dials in the rear to control launch. But at least two shops are taking my little Smart desires seriously I Just gotta keep my "spare no expense" poker face.

I would like to hear results from anyone who installed the thread mentioned "Tesla Springs"

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my springs (all 4) and shocks from Autobahn in California, he may be out of them now, I did have some trouble getting the rear springs in place. I used a spring compressor, a long 2x4 and the wife and grandson sitting on the end of the 2x4 to lower the suspension a bit more to get the springs in place on the rear. The wife has been losing weight so I had to add the grandson... As I recall, the front springs had 3 blue dots on them, stock ones had 1 pink one

As for the front end, I haven't noticed any problems with the bottom tray missing. Not even sure where it went.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts