Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
one if by land . . . .

Thanks for this important bit of information. We can all sleep better knowing this fact.

:rolleyes:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
one if by land . . . .

Thanks for this important bit of information. We can all sleep better knowing this fact.

:rolleyes:
Cut the poor guy some slack.(This may be the only social interaction that he gets :D). Anyway, there may be one or more reasons any of us might cancel an order. In my case, that'll happen if the wife doesn't like the actual U.S. version. (She wasn't real keen on the Euro tranny, but maybe I can fix it:cool:).

·
Registered
798 Posts
Carnut, you crack me up :)

Red interior is red. I'm a red head, I know the difference. So you can rest now, Mr. Cash (as in Johnny or $$$?) :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I concur, the red interior is red...which is strange since they made the red body panels so orangey.

I doubt this info will stop further polls from Mr Cash however. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
My demo car was the silver/silver/red interior. I remember distinctly that the interior was a cool red...a Christmas red as we in the business call it, (I do color and retouching for the printing industry for a living).

Check the shot out that I took:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My demo car was the silver/silver/red interior. I remember distinctly that the interior was a cool red...a Christmas red as we in the business call it,
my ohio smart event test drive was in the same silver/silver/red, only with top down. and i noticed the same nice Christmas red as you described, on the seats. the dash was a bit faded or red-orange, and hope they will fix it and match the dash closer to the nice red seats.

great silver/silver/red photo, thanks. thats my ordered model/color car!, except with 9 spoke wheels, instead of 12 shown. darn, it looks good. whew. that, is a dream mobile.

notice how it obsoletes background vehicles parked on the curb. ;)
mercedes may beg, or want to pay, to put their circle birds foot advertising emblems on the front and back.

the earlier two photos in this thread, were taken at a san francisco smart dealer, early november 2007.

notice updated usa 9 spoke wheels, three spoke steering wheel, bright orange seat belt connector (latter for color reference).

rlove, (or anyone),
based on your printing/color experience,
is the lighting/camera making those two interior photos look orange, but in fact, is likely the same red we both saw at the smart summer events?

or may it be a different, new orange interior?
or too difficult to tell, without seeing it in person?

ps. rlove, your silver/silver/red is one of the best smart photos. the angle, door open pose, frame fill, real life, sharp focus. what brand/model/price, 'least expensive' digital camera, for (my) limited personal use, would give that quality of photo? for this photo, was the camera on tripod? thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
In Defense of Mr Cash

I don't have an opinion on the red versus orange thing (I'm colorly challenged).

But I do think Mr Cash has been the subject of some unkind treatment these past couple of days. A little bit of live and let live wouldn't go amiss. From my perspective, his posts make me smile and his polls brighten the place up. I think this community is all the richer for having him in it.

There, I said it....

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I don't have an opinion on the red versus orange thing (I'm colorly challenged).

But I do think Mr Cash has been the subject of some unkind treatment these past couple of days. A little bit of live and let live wouldn't go amiss. From my perspective, his posts make me smile and his polls brighten the place up. I think this community is all the richer for having him in it.

There, I said it....
There, I'll say it 2.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You know what is funny, during my reservation, I selected a Black Cabrio with tan interior. After seeing the red interior, I may go with that instead, and since I don't like red interiors on black car's, then I think I will go white on the exterior, and since I'm changing everything, maybe I will go coupe instead of Cabriolet.......:eek:

Oh man look at the can of worms a red interior causes....:D

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Mercedes' Own Take on Red Seats

I guess M-B opted for the basic no-extra-cost silver panels when they chose the red seats:

[/IMG]

(M-B W196)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mr. Cash doesn't seem to mind a litlle good-natured razzing. He's just excited.

In reference to the question about my camera, it's a Canon G7. Small, lightweight, (fits in my back pocket). The pictures were just snapshots taken on the fly at full resolution then scaled down to an emailable size, (about 1/6th of the original size). I bought it to snap snots on our vacations and didn't want either a big bag to carry or a large target for thieves. I used to shoot a Nikon F2, but scaled down when i went digital, and gave up some features of film photography, but got a lot of shots that i couldn't have gotten shooting with a heavy, fully manual camera.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You know what is funny, during my reservation, I selected a Black Cabrio with tan interior. After seeing the red interior, I may go with that instead, and since I don't like red interiors on black car's, then I think I will go white on the exterior, and since I'm changing everything, maybe I will go coupe instead of Cabriolet.......:eek:

Oh man look at the can of worms a red interior causes....:D
Hooray for white with red interior!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I guess M-B opted for the basic no-extra-cost silver panels when they chose the red seats:

[/IMG]

(M-B W196)

Back in 1965, when my Dad and I went to the Sindelfingen-Unterturkheim factory to pick up his brand new 220SEb coupe, that exact car was sitting on the factory floor at the end of the production line. What a thrill it was for me as a 12 year old to get to sit in something like that. It's worth a few more coins now, I'm guessing, so they're not letting it randomly sit around wherever there's some spare space.

Just think about it, 290 bhp from a naturally aspirated 2500cc engine over 50 years ago. (W196)Guess what, not much progress since then. Most cars these days have to rely on turbos or s-chargers to crank out that much power/liter displacement.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Back to the red interior subject of this thread...

I still see a little orange in that red, as does my wife, who picks out colors for a living. Not particularly or necessarily bad, but not to my taste. Once I saw that, combined with the undeniably orangey-red exterior, I made a panic call to the smartusa 800 number and asked if I could get a color change! The nice lady who answered (I didn't get her name) promised me she would try.
Still, if my smartie comes in with green flip-flop paint and purple polka dotted upholstery I'd still be inclined to say "Where do I sign!" I've yet to see an ugly smart!
:D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Smog controls killed the horses.
Not really. Even in non-smog times, muscle cars were only getting around 400hp out of 6.5l engines (60hp/l). Many new , normally aspirated models are now doing much better than that.

The Mazda RX-8 gets 255hp out of a naturally asperated 1.3l
Let's compare apples to apples. The effective swept volume of a rotary engine is at least twice the specification on a rotor lobe. That being said, the Renesis design (aka Wankel) has been around for over 50 years as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rlove,

have any more silver/silver/red smart photos from the recent event, with or without the top down?

if so, would enjoy seeing all of them.

thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts