Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Conspicuous by it's absence. Are we really sure we're happy with the 2 year warranty? I'm not.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Y'know, there may be more to the 24/24K than we know. It may include Penske roadside pickup and transport to safe haven (maybe both the smart and you). My Subaru breakdown plan is no more than what AAA does.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Y'know, there may be more to the 24/24K than we know. It may include Penske roadside pickup and transport to safe haven (maybe both the smart and you). My Subaru breakdown plan is no more than what AAA does.
On the recent launch video, Mr P specifically mentioned that they would be using the same organization that services the Penske truck fleet to manage roadside assistance. Reason being that it's in place and has very wide reach throughout the country.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I am, because I may not want to pay extra for a 3-5 year plan. If you want to, you can. Its all about the options.
You'll regret it! The car is French, after all. Even the mighty Citroen SM suffered from serious quality issues. Counting on the German design? Lower reliability among BMWs and M-Bs evn than many American brands. Mitsubishi engine: Chrysler, need I say more?

She may look foxy, but you still need protection.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
OK, the Mitsubishi engine has been proven in the field for years, right? It's not a new design. And the transmission as well. The rest of the car has been around for nearly 10 years. I'm not really worried but a decent warranty would still make me feel better. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Too bad we don't have the dead horse emoticon to use; this topic is certainly getting beat to death. Don't know if it's Penske or Smart or M-B behind the 24 month warranty but spinning it as an "option" is a great marketing ploy. In fact, it's less coverage than you get with an Aveo or an Elantra, both cars which are nowhere near as advanced as the smart. To each his own, but I'm not buying it (maybe literally.) :confused:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Too bad we don't have the dead horse emoticon to use; this topic is certainly getting beat to death. Don't know if it's Penske or Smart or M-B behind the 24 month warranty but spinning it as an "option" is a great marketing ploy. In fact, it's less coverage than you get with an Aveo or an Elantra, both cars which are nowhere near as advanced as the smart. To each his own, but I'm noy buying it (maybe literally.) :confused:
I don't think we should let this horse die until Penske/MB does what's right. It mught be a great money making ploy, but could be a disastrous marketing ploy if it can turn off even the enthusiasts.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
OK, at the count of ten, everyone with a reserve number lower than 1369 cancel their order in protest! ;)
May well do do, depending on the official word on warranty. I'll let you know. You could change your name and move up to 1178 real fast. (Now, what do we do about that driver's license issue?)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Protection is where the tailgate comes in

You'll regret it! The car is French, after all. Even the mighty Citroen SM suffered from serious quality issues. Counting on the German design? Lower reliability among BMWs and M-Bs evn than many American brands. Mitsubishi engine: Chrysler, need I say more?

She may look foxy, but you still need protection.
Seems like a dandy place to make up a really awesome tool stash for the first year model car that may have some glitches now and then. Maybe even some small spare parts can go there, too, once we find out from others what can fail.
I'd rather have myself prepared than to even think about somebody else screwin with my car. ;)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Now that this 2 year warranty seems to have been released, has anyone seen any details on how the new smart owners outside the dealer city areas will be serviced on warranty? In other words, will a buyer from Springfield, Illinois, have to go to Chicago to get warranty service? With only 70 dealerships, there would seem to be some big geographic areas of need on this question. The 35,000 reservations come from all cities, big and small, and none of those 35,000 would have known where the dealers would be, except for the obvious cities. That could cause some reservation "fall out" if nearest dealer is too distant from their home. Just a thought...

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Now that this 2 year warranty seems to have been released, has anyone seen any details on how the new smart owners outside the dealer city areas will be serviced on warranty?
You could always FedEx your car to the nearest warrenty station.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Believe it or not, FedEx DOES ship smart cars. I'd received a quote at one point in the past on behalf of a customer in a "hurry". However, the FedEx quote provided indicated that this may not be a satisfactory warranty solution.:rolleyes:
Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts