Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen the pic of the mules driving around and know that they are disguised by foam and odd bits and pieces to hide their true form.
My question is: If the smart deviates too much (a subjective term I know) would you still be interested?
I find that a large part of my love affair with the smart is the basic appearance. The lines, the flow, ect.
If it becomes a Scion I'll have to spend the rest of my life buying older and older smarts. Not a bad thing. Folks do it with VW beetles all the time. Any feedback on this?

·
Registered
912 Posts
From what we can see, it's pretty clear that the next one has evolutionary styling and will still look like a smart, only different, even though it is a completely new car inside and out sharing only the general size and layout. I'm pretty sure it will come out okay once the camouflage comes off.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The general consensus by the average car tester or car enthusiast is that the smart 451 is getting too long in the tooth. My fear is that the design and concept of the current smart may be compromised. A larger smart will be a me too type car. It would defeat the uniqueness and the only four seat smart I ever liked was the discontinued version, but that's me.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The general consensus by the average car tester or car enthusiast is that the smart 451 is getting too long in the tooth. My fear is that the design and concept of the current smart may be compromised. A larger smart will be a me too type car. It would defeat the uniqueness and the only four seat smart I ever liked was the discontinued version, but that's me.
The new smart car will be much 'better', by industry standards. No doubt. It will have more power, it will shift faster, it will still be rear engine and rear wheel drive. It's going to be an awesome car.

But it will most certainly be a heavier car. One of the things so misunderstood by the typical car buyer is that they want the smart car to do this or do that while not realizing if smart does this and does that it will end up just like a Toyota Corolla.

The new smart will be awesome. No doubt. But it will be heavier. I doubt it will have the same quickness of the current 451. It's a very underrated virtue in the current generation smart. It whips side to side like the Matrix!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The new smart will be a RENAULT Twingo in disguise. My last Renault was a little red 1949 model with four doors, fronts being suicide doors, a back seat and a rear engine. It was light enough for some guys to put it on the front porch one night. I still remember the difficulty of getting it off. It was probably narrow as a smart & not much longer. It did everything I needed at 16. Then, I started playing drums and discovered girls. I sold it for $75 and bought a 1931 Plymouth sedan for $25. It had lots of room!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just really hope the new version has decent reliability. Knock on wood, my '08 has been rock solid, except for the airbag light being on right now (WTF?). Renault doesn't scream "trouble-free." And "it's parent company is Mercedes" seems to have some value. "It's a rebadged/skinned Renault" makes me nervous.

It would have to be quieter, smoother, and same/better MPG for me to change. but as said above, the "tossability" of the current model is underrated, and could be lost when "quieter, smoother" results in "heavier." I'm very excited to see what it ends up being like....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It may do OK here in Mexico, as there are Renault dealers and the Renault is fairly popular in both consumer and small commercial vehicles in Mexico. So, it might offer more service and maintenance options here.

·
17,372 Posts
T-25 -- it's what a new smart should have been!
T-25 thus far is a "proof of concept" City Car that could work in the smart lineup as a smart forone+2?

Be intresting to see where the "unnamed customer who will begin producing the cars in 2016" takes this product? :wink:
With a top speed of only 65mph and an interior more spartan than a 90's Geo, I can see why nobody has stepped up to the plate to build them.

I also don't see how a car that's much slower than a smart can be better, but okay...

As for the subject at hand, smart cannot keep the same design forever and the current design is getting just a tad dated. Designs need to evolve as technology evolves around it.

Mercedes would not build an iQ, that's just not their style.

Looking at the history of smart, they're going to take smart's concept, improve on it, update it, add in some unique quirks, then put it out to market...Just like with the 451...

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I like this rendering a lot better ... even though it is going on five years old.

The article this image was found on is dated 2/19/2009 ... kinda makes you think.

·
17,372 Posts
Between the Elio and the T.25/T.27, I'd bet my money on the Elio actually becoming reality...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Yo smarkster, make sure you get your Jeremy Scott driving shoes to complete THE LOOK . . .
:rofl::rofl2::laugh:
That woulf be too much -- in a good way!

I like this rendering a lot better ... even though it is going on five years old.

The article this image was found on is dated 2/19/2009 ... kinda makes you think.
Still good-looking!

The 453 smart will be on sale in the USA and Canada in 2015; the T-25......who knows? Maybe by the time you have an Elio in your garage. :)
I figure there are 3 chances: slim, fat, and none!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts