Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may help those of you that have upgraded the OEM radio/stereo in the 453.

Cliffnotes: I used the JBL OEM tweeters in the front & JBL 6 1/2" dual cones in the
doors . Also, a Kenwood 8" self amplified woofer under the passenger seat.

The sound is awesome in the little car! But, the tiny 3" POS center speaker in the dash
distorts something awful with the volume up... Sounds like rice vibrating on wax paper!

The solution takes less then 5 minutes. Let the car sit in the sun, or use a blow dryer to warm the plastic protective grill (if you are in 'the cold zone'). Then simply use a small flat blade screwdriver to start the prying. When you got it lifting, just pull slowly till it pops out! Take out the screws holding the speaker in. Then simply clip the two wires and cap the
loose ends.

The bass is soooo clean now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you leave the JBL sub in trunk? I am looking to improve the JBL system to sound nice and crisp with powerful clean sounding bass. Nothing worse than a shitty sounding sound system.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tote too much in the hatch area to have the OEM sub-woofer sitting there.
I have Kenwood self amplified 8” sub under the passenger seat. It’s all perfectly balanced between Bass, Mid-Range & Treble...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cliffnotes: I used the JBL OEM tweeters in the front & JBL 6 1/2" dual cones in the

The sound is awesome in the little car! But, the tiny 3" POS center speaker in the dash
distorts something awful with the volume up... Sounds like rice vibrating on wax paper!

The solution takes less then 5 minutes. Let the car sit in the sun, or use a blow dryer to warm the plastic protective grill (if you are in 'the cold zone'). Then simply use a small flat blade screwdriver to start the prying. When you got it lifting, just pull slowly till it pops out! Take out the screws holding the speaker in. Then simply clip the two wires and cap the
loose ends.

loose ends.

hey man,
I’m looking into upgrading the stock sounds in my 453 fortwo, are the 6.5” door speakers a direct swap or was there fab work needed?
Thanks dude!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, you will need to modify, I got speaker rings from the U.K. 'The how to' thread above will provide pictures of the adapters and ring and even where to purchase them. Good Luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts