Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my horn only sometimes will beep. Is there a sticky thread on horn repair on the forum?
I am assuming there is an air bag in there to prevent just prying off the panel to clean the contacts?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
on the 451 model, You need to drain the power from the airbag before you do anything. Disconnect battery for 10-30 min!! '
Then if you look on the back side of the wheel, near the column , there should be a T40 bolt.. loosen it and the wheel should come off, remove the wiring connections inside the column before taking the wheel all the way off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have an 08 fortwo but not sure of any other designations.

Is this a common thing? Assuming I just clean contacts to restore horn function? It beeps loud & strong when it does beep.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This was a post I made in the "what did you do with your smart today" from 2017.
"I fixed my horn!
After having intermittent problems with it not working from the day I bought it new (9 years ago) I finally got it fixed, thanks to a post at Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia.
The stupid push in ground would work for a while then not.
Put a different end on wire and drilled and tapped a hole, a screw and loctite and it's better than new!"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the push in ground on the wiring harness I suspect? I guess I'll need to get a better grounding point?

·
Registered
319 Posts
So the push in ground on the wiring harness I suspect? I guess I'll need to get a better grounding point?
Can't say for sure that's what your problem is but it haunted me for 9 years before I figured out what it was, at first I thought it was the clock spring in the steering cause if I hit the horn button it would work. Like always your mileage may vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts