Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any mention of this in the SMART fortwo ED forum, so I'll start it. According to the IIHS, the ED is ranked #4 best out of all car models in lowest overall losses (collisions), behind the Ford F150 supercrew, GMC Canyon Crew cab and Ford Edge (midsize SUV). It is also ranked #2 best in lowest overall losses (comprehensive). There are no ratings for the ED in the other categories (presumably not enough data), but the gas fortwo has decent to good ratings so the ED is probably similar or better. It's a bit hard to determine what exactly this means, but it sounds like good news. I assume the comprehensive is so low because thieves might not know how to jump start these things? At any rate, look over the ratings yourself at:
Insurance loss information
Click on 'best and worst' to see relative rankings, 'losses by class' to see ratings by car

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Less car to damage, less cost to buy, of course it's less cost to replace or repair :)
Not sure I agree. A new ED costs a lot more than a cheap Kia or similar type car; yet those cheap cars are ranked near the bottom. Damage that battery and you've got a big repair bill. Repair bills are not cheap at the MB dealership.

I guess I choose to believe that it is just a safe car for most types of collisions (most collisions are low speed or colliding with something that is not moving; few are head on collisions with a large SUV). Nonetheless, I will agree that it is hard to filter out the many variables.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The IIHS data may be more useful than the NHTSA crash test ratings, as it seems they give four or five stars to most cars, so one star difference can be huge.

Some things are obvious; big SUV and pickups are much, much safer than small cars in general. No surprise therefore to see pickups and SUV dominate the collision ratings despite their costs. The surprise is that SMART is up there with them.

But note that the bodily injury/medical payment/personal injury ratings for the gas fortwo are close to slightly above average while the collision/property damage/comprehensive ratings are well below average. Almost sounds like passengers get hurt worse than the car does. With the Tridium cell and all the airbags, that confuses me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIHS also has death rates, although these are less instructive as they are for 2011:
Driver death rates
As expected, big cars and SUVs have lower death rates than small cars. However, the fortwo has only a slightly above average death rate; much lower than most mini or small cars. This seems to speak well of the Tridium cell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IIHS also has death rates, although these are less instructive as they are for 2011:
Driver death rates
As expected, big cars and SUVs have lower death rates than small cars. However, the fortwo has only a slightly above average death rate; much lower than most mini or small cars. This seems to speak well of the Tridium cell.
Would not expect many deaths in Smart ED since only 922 got registered since 2013 model yr in USA, per HybridCars.com site. 0:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure I agree. A new ED costs a lot more than a cheap Kia or similar type car; yet those cheap cars are ranked near the bottom. Damage that battery and you've got a big repair bill. Repair bills are not cheap at the MB dealership.

I guess I choose to believe that it is just a safe car for most types of collisions (most collisions are low speed or colliding with something that is not moving; few are head on collisions with a large SUV). Nonetheless, I will agree that it is hard to filter out the many variables.
Agree that MB dealers are costly for collision repairs, in Denver area dlr has no body shop. My recent repair bill was $3k parts $2k labor, all body parts, car was drivable after my accident.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would not expect many deaths in Smart ED since only 922 got registered since 2013 model yr in USA, per HybridCars.com site. 0:)
Death rates are prorated by number of cars sold (among other statistical adjustments) so that comparisons can be made between car types (although there is more error when the sales numbers are small). Note that the death rates in this link are for gas SMART fortwo, not ED, as ED models did not exist in the US in 2011 (although death rates are likely very similar between the two types).

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
ALL cars are now designed to be sacrificial in a crash. Save the people, not the metal. My wife's 2016 Hyundai Sonata was TOTALLED in a parking lot crash..... swayed the front end by being hit directly in the driverside front wheel, by a Scion XB going about 30 mph. Bye bye Sonata. $19800 in damage.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is important to know that the IIHS Personal Injury Protection data can be great even for a deadly vehicle because of this fact: Dead people do not file injury claims!!!

Consider this fact, for years IIHS has listed the Corvette among the best cars in the Personal injury Protection category. However, the Corvette is also listed among the highest fatality rates of any car on the road (#2 in the USA, and #1 in California).

https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study

As the Pirates of the Caribbean might say, ¨Dead men file no claims!¨

Just because a vehicle has a low rate of injury claims doesn´t mean that it isn´t deadly. Some vehicle occupants are too busy being dead to file an injury claim.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It is important to know that the IIHS Personal Injury Protection data can be great even for a deadly vehicle because of this fact: Dead people do not file injury claims!!!

Consider this fact, for years IIHS has listed the Corvette among the best cars in the Personal injury Protection category. However, the Corvette is also listed among the highest fatality rates of any car on the road (#2 in the USA, and #1 in California).

https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study

As the Pirates of the Caribbean might say, ¨Dead men file no claims!¨

Just because a vehicle has a low rate of injury claims doesn´t mean that it isn´t deadly. Some vehicle occupants are too busy being dead to file an injury claim.
Maybe it's the way some Corvette owners drive, in relationship to how many are owned?
I'll bet there are more sport bike deaths due to the riding style, than crusier bike deaths.
( Not counting medical events that happen to old farts riding cruisers bikes.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts