Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back.... still no solution...

I have a 2008 Cabriolet Convertible with 48K miles.
For the past 18 months there has been a rattle/clink the seems to come from something the chassis mountings as a possibility.
I have had it check out buy the dealership twice and an independent shop with no cure. They checked: brakes, wheel bearing, ball joints and more. We replaced the front shocks and 3 months ago, the RATTLE/CLINK is still present. It may begetting worse as time pass.
Anyone have such an experience with their vehicle?

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Worn engine mounts. springs clunking around, in their pockets. Loose front disc brake backing plates. It really hard to diagnose a pesky noise. Without hearing it. Front or rear sound?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Drive with the engine cover off to make sure it’s not the heat shield on the exhaust…
I am with that heat shield reference. As my 2014 cat converter heat shield is fully disconnected and just up in there won't fall out repositions at times and I can hear it. I also had a socket wrench left in side the pocket to get to the tail light drove me nuts about a week until I found it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Worn engine mounts. springs clunking around, in their pockets. Loose front disc brake backing plates. It really hard to diagnose a pesky noise. Without hearing it. Front or rear sound?
thanks. this is info than the dealer offered

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am with that heat shield reference. As my 2014 cat converter heat shield is fully disconnected and just up in there won't fall out repositions at times and I can hear it. I also had a socket wrench left in side the pocket to get to the tail light drove me nuts about a week until I found it.
ok thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks i'll check for these

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh and spray lube everything that should pivot, twist or rotate. The whole suspension to free it up. You can remember the time when you would take a care to the shop for an "Oil change and Lube Job" our Smarts need that lube job portion. Almost every issue with my 451 Smart has has been a lack of lube or lack of metal rust prevention as the root cause. If we could dip them in oil twice a year it would be a great benefit.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Oh and spray lube everything that should pivot, twist or rotate. The whole suspension to free it up. You can remember the time when you would take a care to the shop for an "Oil change and Lube Job" our Smarts need that lube job portion. Almost every issue with my 451 Smart has has been a lack of lube or lack of metal rust prevention as the root cause. If we could dip them in oil twice a year it would be a great benefit.
Should not have to in the age of sealed fitting, joints, coupling's and such.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I’m going to this throw out. a noise, years ago I experienced in my smart car. Couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Just a guessing here. If you own a 451. There is a little plastic triangular cover on the interior. Had such a rattle. The smart service manager, pulled it off. There was a screw behind that. That had loosened. He tightened the screw, No more rattle.

Make sure the metal engine cover is completely in its slot. Behind the seat. I changed the oil in my car years ago. I didn’t place the cover all the way in. Kept on hearing a clunking, thumping noise from the rear. It was a subdued noise. Also Hot air, I could feel coming from the rear of hand brake

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Cadillac DeVille like that. The only solution was to rip the dashboard off and fix it. I solved the problem by turning up the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2008 convertible and every time we were driving around I will put on the radio and sooner than later a big rattling sound would start coming out from underneath my dash and I was going crazy looking for it. If I turn off the radio it would stop so I thought it was some thing that was either loose in the dashboard but I couldn’t find it. But one day looking underneath my seat I saw a box and there was a sub inside there that I didn’t know about so when it was making the noise I disconnected the sub and the noise went away. I did that twice and it worked So the sub was not working correctly once I disconnected the problem is gone. Check and see if that could be it if not keep hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possibly worn engine mount as time progress. Your mount may have deteriorated the mount to the point its metal to metal causing the exhaust to rattle. Try to replace the engine side and center rod. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts