Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back.... still no solution...

I have a 2008 Cabriolet Convertible with 48K miles.
For the past 18 months there has been a rattle/clink the seems to come from something the chassis mountings as a possibility.
I have had it check out buy the dealership twice and an independent shop with no cure. They checked: brakes, wheel bearing, ball joints and more. We replaced the front shocks and 3 months ago, the RATTLE/CLINK is still present. It may begetting worse as time pass.
Anyone have such an experience with their vehicle?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Worn engine mounts. springs clunking around, in their pockets. Loose front disc brake backing plates. It really hard to diagnose a pesky noise. Without hearing it. Front or rear sound?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Drive with the engine cover off to make sure it’s not the heat shield on the exhaust…
I am with that heat shield reference. As my 2014 cat converter heat shield is fully disconnected and just up in there won't fall out repositions at times and I can hear it. I also had a socket wrench left in side the pocket to get to the tail light drove me nuts about a week until I found it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am with that heat shield reference. As my 2014 cat converter heat shield is fully disconnected and just up in there won't fall out repositions at times and I can hear it. I also had a socket wrench left in side the pocket to get to the tail light drove me nuts about a week until I found it.
ok thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Oh and spray lube everything that should pivot, twist or rotate. The whole suspension to free it up. You can remember the time when you would take a care to the shop for an "Oil change and Lube Job" our Smarts need that lube job portion. Almost every issue with my 451 Smart has has been a lack of lube or lack of metal rust prevention as the root cause. If we could dip them in oil twice a year it would be a great benefit.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Oh and spray lube everything that should pivot, twist or rotate. The whole suspension to free it up. You can remember the time when you would take a care to the shop for an "Oil change and Lube Job" our Smarts need that lube job portion. Almost every issue with my 451 Smart has has been a lack of lube or lack of metal rust prevention as the root cause. If we could dip them in oil twice a year it would be a great benefit.
Should not have to in the age of sealed fitting, joints, coupling's and such.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I’m going to this throw out. a noise, years ago I experienced in my smart car. Couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Just a guessing here. If you own a 451. There is a little plastic triangular cover on the interior. Had such a rattle. The smart service manager, pulled it off. There was a screw behind that. That had loosened. He tightened the screw, No more rattle.

Make sure the metal engine cover is completely in its slot. Behind the seat. I changed the oil in my car years ago. I didn’t place the cover all the way in. Kept on hearing a clunking, thumping noise from the rear. It was a subdued noise. Also Hot air, I could feel coming from the rear of hand brake

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2008 convertible and every time we were driving around I will put on the radio and sooner than later a big rattling sound would start coming out from underneath my dash and I was going crazy looking for it. If I turn off the radio it would stop so I thought it was some thing that was either loose in the dashboard but I couldn’t find it. But one day looking underneath my seat I saw a box and there was a sub inside there that I didn’t know about so when it was making the noise I disconnected the sub and the noise went away. I did that twice and it worked So the sub was not working correctly once I disconnected the problem is gone. Check and see if that could be it if not keep hunting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.