Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listed as : 2008 Smart Fortwo 3 Cylinders 1.0L MFI DOHC 061 CID according to the VIN number. I cant find this info in the owners manual but perhaps I'm just over looking it.

Just purchased by my 93 year old mother I'm trying to find out everything I can about the car to help her out. She bought it as a temp car while her 2007 Mercedes Benz S65 AMG is in the shop. When her car is out of the shop she's planning on selling this to me for what she paid because she doesn't need two cars. ($2300) She needed to get something because something on her car breaks every year and they always have her car at least 3 months. Luckily one of her grandsons has a used dealership and he had this car to sell to her cheap. She's looking to sell her S65 AMG piece of junk that breaks every year and doesn't hold it's value but she paid 52,000 for it in 2013 and fears she cannot get enough money from it to get another decent car. It's got 77,000 miles on it. Anyway all that is another story.

The car seems to be a hybrid and I see where you fill the gas that it has a diagram of a plug to charge the battery.. but so far I've not found in the book how to charge it, where the charger cable is (apparently she doesn't have one and would need to buy one) or where exactly you plug in the charging cable. I'm thinking if she runs out of gas or her fuel pump breaks at least she could make it to a repair shop or home on electric. - Or perhaps the electric in the car doesn't even work like that and does not allow you to drive it only on electric? I suppose for that matter her battery may be long dead and not work anymore but I have no way to determine that without knowing more about how this electric system works. Can someone please help me out? Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks folks.. I guess that explains why I didn't find it in the Book.. My mothers grandson who sold her the car told her he thought it was a hybrid and I did see the electric charge diagram on the inside of the gas tank cover so it was a bit misleading.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,660 Posts
The MHD (mild hybrid drive) was never offered in the US. The name is a bit confusing anyway. It is only a gas engine, but has the stop/start feature. If you buy an American spec smart, it will be either gas or electric, but never a combination of. If it were an electric, EV in smart speak, the electrical plug is inserted in the same location as the gas filler on your Mother's car.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like the fortwo that they purchased has the charging door from an electric.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MHD (mild hybrid drive) was never offered in the US. The name is a bit confusing anyway. It is only a gas engine, but has the stop/start feature. If you buy an American spec smart, it will be either gas or electric, but never a combination of. If it were an electric, EV in smart speak, the electrical plug is inserted in the same location as the gas filler on your Mother's car.
Good to know. I won't go looking for any hybrids then. I wouldn't mind having an EQ Fortwo, I see them going for 12 to 16K but that's way more than I'm willing to spend for a car. When my mom decides to sell it to the wife and I, I'll stick with my 600 dollar ebike that does 35 mph with a range of 20 miles and just let the wife drive the car. Perhaps in a few years they will get to my price range. I swore off gas vehicles when I retired 13 years ago and let my license expire. Only thing that would make me get my license again is a good small size EV. Heck, I have built e-bikes... I bet I could build an small EV for cheap... or find an old CitiCar and fix it up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello, I have an Electric Smart, If your mothers car is electric (Hence the diagram on the fill door) Then it is only electric not gas nor hybrid.
Look in the tailgate storage, that is where the OEM charge cord should be if it didn't get tossed.
If you look at the two gauges on the top of the dash, if it is Electric, the left one shows %SOC Battery, the right one shows % Power.
If they are a clock and a Gas gauge it has the wrong fill door and is gas.
Another way to tell is see if there's an exhaust pipe in the rear, sure sign of gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I swapped the bodywork on mine with a different color. The new bodywork was from an electric Smart so my filler door has the plug in info and it says electric drive on the back. makes people wonder...but comes in handy for parking in EV spots!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I swapped the bodywork on mine with a different color. The new bodywork was from an electric Smart so my filler door has the plug in info and it says electric drive on the back. makes people wonder...but comes in handy for parking in EV spots!
I'm about to do the same, since I bought panels from an electric drive for my smart. It will be funny when people see me putting gas on an "electric car". Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I thought I had this all figured out but now I'm not so sure. I know the car uses gas But it also says "Electric Drive" on the back hatch door. This: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...adge.jpg/800px-Smart-electric-drive-badge.jpg

The Wikipedia article for the car says, "The Smart EQ Fortwo, formerly Smart Fortwo electric drive, smart ed or Smart Fortwo EV, is a battery electric vehicle variant of the Smart Fortwo city car made by Smart. "

It appears the car is telling me it has Electric Drive so.. if the car is not a hybrid.. why does it say Electric Drive?

Smark said, "Maybe start and stop engine management maybe." - Could that be what Electric Drive means?

Smart car said, "If you look at the two gauges on the top of the dash, if it is Electric, the left one shows %SOC Battery, the right one shows % Power.
If they are a clock and a Gas gauge it has the wrong fill door and is gas. "

The car does Not have the two gauges on top of the dashboard. I assume you are talking about these? http://www.autos.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2008-Smart-Fortwo-GW-09.jpg

I'll look for a cord but I have yet to find the tailgate storage. I just figured out how to open the hood and open the service door in the back to check the oil - I'm used to cars either having the engine in the front or the back but it seems this car has parts of the engine in both the front and the back.. how does that work?

·
Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
Give us your VIN and we'll sort it out. There were no electric Smarts in '08. What your tailgate is showing means that some previous owner replaced the panel(s). Probably because of an accident or he/she didn't like the color. Does it have an exhaust pipe? As said above, that tells you that it is gas and gas only.

Len

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Give us your VIN and we'll sort it out. There were no electric Smarts in '08. What your tailgate is showing means that some previous owner replaced the panel(s). Probably because of an accident or he/she didn't like the color. Does it have an exhaust pipe? As said above, that tells you that it is gas and gas only.

Len
VIN: WMEEK31X58K200242 - 2008 Smart Fortwo 3 Cylinders 1.0L MFI DOHC 061 CID - Thank you ! Hmm I wonder if there is accident info somewhere for this car. Yeah it has an exhaust pipe, I know it uses gas.

·
Super Moderator
1,684 Posts
VIN shows it as a cabriolet. I don't think you mentioned that. Is that correct?

Len

·
Super Moderator
1,684 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I didn't mention that but I do believe it is a Cabriolet because it is a convertible. Sadly however, the roof was leaking because it didn't fully attach in the front. Before my nephew sold her the car he paid someone 400 bucks to attach it so it would not leak. I have no idea how the fellow attached it but the roof does Not retract. I'm really saddened by this because I just found out the track above the doors can be removed to make it a more fully open convertible. The fellow told my nephew it would cost him 2 thousand dollars to fix it. If I had a Haynes manual for the car I'd attempt to fix it myself but I understand Haynes don't make manuals for the Smart Fortwo. Thank you for the Info. I'll save a copy to my Smart Fortwo folder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I learn about this car the more I want to Drive It. I think this will be the car that makes me get my license renewed. I have had a Suzuki Samurai and loved it because it was a tiny car that was also convertible. this smart car is probably the only other tiny car that is also a convertible I'll ever get a chance to own unless I can find a Chevy Geo which was not as open as the Suzuki. ( It threw a rod, I sold it for scrap.. I Should have kept it and gave it a rebuilt engine cheap but didn't. There just aren't a lot of tiny convertibles around. I'm 115 lbs and 5'3. I Need Tiny! LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts