Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one key for my Fortwo. If I copy the metal part of the key only, and take the chip part of it out and glue it near the ignition port, will that allow the car to start even if I'm using other "dumb" key copies? Does the RFID require a charged coin battery, or is it passive like RFID credit cards?

These smart ignitions are too smart for their own good. Who's going to hotwire an electric car that drives 60 miles on a good day?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
442 Posts
The exploded view shows a battery in the key. Not sure if that is for the remote, or the imobolizer. Worth a try. Do you have a 451 or a 453, the technology is different between them.

·
Super Moderator
17,863 Posts
Someone on this forum did just that, actually. They added a plastic cap to the top of the blade to make it look more visually appealing, too. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: It was Cubefx! Here's how to do it:

The big thing is that the fob needs to be there when you start the car, or the immobilizer won't be disabled.

Reactions: jwight

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, the one thing the Cubefx solution didn't cover is whether the RFID is active or passive. So I just did an experiment myself with removing the battery and circuitboard. The RFID does indeed still work and start the car if held next to the key without battery, but it needs to be extremely close to the key, and even the orientation matters. I'll see if I can get a tiny plastic project box to put the PCB inside and glue it to a "sweet spot" near the keyhole that the immobilizer can receive consistently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doors can be locked physically, the smart cars come with a plastic cap covering up the key hole near the door handle, but you can pop it off and there's a keyhole underneath.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But if anyone knows of like a mail-in service where I can send my original key and the eBay copies to have those cut and programmed, I'd be interested. Local MB wants over $350 to copy a key and they won't program the eBay keys.

·
Administrator
29,724 Posts
Doors can be locked physically, the smart cars come with a plastic cap covering up the key hole near the door handle, but you can pop it off and there's a keyhole underneath.
The door only unlocks with the physical key, because it pulls a Bowden cable. The key can't push the cable to lock the door. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,863 Posts
If your idea is to leave the separated key in the car/ignition then lock the doors then you will need a working fob. There is no manual way to lock the doors, even through that keyhole.

If you do the exact thing that Cubefx did then you can have a separated key and working locks... but to me that seems like a convoluted solution to the problem of losing keys. I mean, you'll now have multiple pieces of key to keep track of!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
But if anyone knows of like a mail-in service where I can send my original key and the eBay copies to have those cut and programmed, I'd be interested. Local MB wants over $350 to copy a key and they won't program the eBay keys.
This isn’t possible. The car and all keys must be present when the keys are programmed. I have a MB Star clone and have used it to program lots of keys. If a key isn’t present when the SAM is programmed, it won’t work in the car, even if it previously did.

Use caution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try reaching out to locksmiths on yelp, etc. I got new keys made for a Subaru a year or two ago and they got me 4 keys for much cheaper than the dealership price. They might even do the eBay keys for you.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
499 Posts
You still haven't stated if you have a 451 or a 453... this makes a world of difference when it comes to us giving proper advice. The two cars ignition systems are different.

I have owned both a 451 and a 453 but only needed to do key work on the 453... it was quite a job, and $450 later (even without a dealership), I had three working keys (already had one, but added two more).

For example... people tend to think that the key is somehow programmed, when in fact it is the Car that is programmed to accept the key. As @vadsoom stated, ALL keys must be present when programming... even if you are only adding one new key to the car's computer.

Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Try reaching out to locksmiths on yelp, etc. I got new keys made for a Subaru a year or two ago and they got me 4 keys for much cheaper than the dealership price. They might even do the eBay keys for you.
i have had additional keys made at a local locksmith and a local ACE hardware, so no problem getting a key even if you don't have the old one

Bill

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
442 Posts
The door only unlocks with the physical key, because it pulls a Bowden cable. The key can't push the cable to lock the door. :)
This is what i thought as well, but I was just flipping through my user manual (need to replace a brake lamp) and noticed for the 453 at least, there is a seperate point on the trailing edge of the doors where you can insert the key to manually set the door to locked and it will then lock when you close it. Not what I would want to do every time I leave the car, but I did not know this was possible.
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
101 Posts
Presumably that's to lock the car if the fob stops working and you need the car locked. For the 451, you have to use the lock button in the car with the ignition key at position 1 to lock the car after you exit the vehicle without the fob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts