Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got your attention didn't I?

has anyone installed wheel studs in their rotors and rear hubs? why do is you ask. well it makes hanging a wheel a heck of a lot easier.

just so happens i have some stainless steel lug nuts left from my 85 SS Monte that fit nicely.....do away with t hose ugly lug nuts

·
Super Moderator
11,266 Posts
It's your car,

I never had that much trouble lifting a tire up and resting it on the center and aligning the holes, and that is with bad knees. But then I guess I am used to 16 inch rims on my Land Rover and other trucks. Maybe I am used to exposed lug nuts and such as most all my vehicles have alloy rims and I just clean them good and put them on.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You CANNOT use a conventional lug nut on smart wheels. On aluminum wheels they will break the wheel, and on steel wheels will deform them. ONLY the smart radiused lugs will correctly torque and not trash the wheels.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
believe it or not couldn' t

find the covers at lowes or home depot

the lug nuts are not standard nuts. they have the same seat and were used on aluminum wheels of the 80's

didn't know how much muscle tone i had lost after my surgery (53 lbs) until i tried to lift and steady a little 155 wheel/tire. i shouldn't have any trouble running a stud into the rotor from the backside but not sure if the rear wheel backing plate may limit my access so if it does i will jb steel weld the bolt into to hub

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
If you try to put a bolt or nut with a conical seat (like a Monte Carlo's) on a wheel which has a spherical seat (like the Smart or other Mercedes) or vice versa you will deform the seat and screw up the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
11,266 Posts
If you have a weight restriction, or even trouble doing something, you should be getting someone to help you. it doesn't help to overdo anything. it also pisses off the doctors!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you want to know what time it is you do not have to build a clock.

Get a long bolt the same thread as the lug bolts. Cut the head off the long bolt and use a hacksaw to cut a slot in the end of it to fit a screwdriver. Use the modified bolt screwed into the wheel hub as a guide to hang the wheel while you install the other bolts.

Typical flat or conical wheel bolts or nuts are not compatible with smart ball-seat bolts and wheels.

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,919 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts