Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just came across this forum as I searched for information on servicing radiator; watched a video on youtube.com and went into shock...really, that's what needs to be done? So, i figured on a scale of 0 - 5, my mechanical aptitude is like 1 on a great day. So, I'm asking around about the difficulty on removing a radiator and hoses...thinking the video was a spoof. was it? And thanks for the forum.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't let the evil stepkids of Mercedes intimidate you. I bought and modified some tools to work on these lil' tikes and with evilution, Smart Madness and this forum the rest is up to us owners!

·
Registered
882 Posts
A smart radiator is not for an aptitude of 1. In my opinion. While it's possible if any way along the you decide it's to much you could end up with the car undrivable at that point and that would put you at the mercy of a mechanic who will surely claim your attempt cause additional needs......
.......so to start with what are you experiencing that calls for a radiator removal.?

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you work slow and document what you're doing, I think anyone capable of using basic tools can replace almost any part they put their mind to. The biggest hurdles for someone who isn't familiar with car repair is figuring out what is wrong, how to fix it, and plucking up the courage to try. Often the community is helpful with this, sometimes not. I don't recommend it for someone who needs the car operational again quickly; rushed work is a recipie for disaster especially when you're learning, but slow patient work can get a lot done, a lot learned, and sometimes can save some money (only sometimes, if you have to buy some tools that savings can disappear quickly).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A '10 2-4 radiator is nothing to be sneezed at, based on what I know about '08 4-2s...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts