Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in Hawthorne, Ca (Los Angeles), and have had my 2008 Smart Passion for about a year. I love it! I bought it with about 28,000 miles. I've put enough miles on in a year to have already had my 30,000 mile tune up. But, I did go to Mercedes for the service and paid handsomely.

There are so many mechanics, who do you trust? After my visit to the dealer for 30,000 mile service, they told me I needed to replace the water pump. Are there any signs? They told me to check the coolant fluid and not to run the a/c on high to delay the replacement. I haven't been back to that dealer since. Does this makes sense?
Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in Hawthorne, Ca (Los Angeles), and have had my 2008 Smart Passion for about a year. I love it! I bought it with about 28,000 miles. I've put enough miles on in a year to have already had my 30,000 mile tune up. But, I did go to Mercedes for the service and paid handsomely.

There are so many mechanics, who do you trust? After my visit to the dealer for 30,000 mile service, they told me I needed to replace the water pump. Are there any signs? They told me to check the coolant fluid and not to run the a/c on high to delay the replacement. I haven't been back to that dealer since. Does this makes sense?
Thanks

See my friend at A1 automotive. They have 2 locations in Temple City and near Monterey Park. Ask for Harry.

Harry personally owns both the Gas and Electric Drive Smart Fortwo's. They also specialize in Lotus'.

I trust him with my personal cars.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
What are your symptoms?
As they are, water pumps are pretty dumb parts. If they are turning, they are working. The typical failure is a leaking shaft seal. If the water pump isn't leaking (i.e. coolant on the ground under the back of the car) the water pump is probably OK.
I would be more suspicious of an air bubble trapped in the cylinder head. The bleeding process is pretty simple and I'm sure Harry is aware of it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not leaking, that is why I was wondering. they said it is a slow leak and will need to be replaced. I check my coolant every week and the level has not changed. I'll check out Henry.

Thank you :}

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It depends on why they recommended the replacement. It is not unusual for technicians to recommend replacement of a water pump that has a typical dried coolant residue around the weep hole. A weep hole may weep coolant at times, hence the name. If it is not leaking to a drip, either engine cold or hot, then I would not be too concerned. Keep an eye on the coolant level and get a second opinion from somebody who does not have boat payment due.

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts