Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m off the road for a while, I changed my oil today and the oil pan plug is stripped. Leaking oil like a waterfall. SUCKS! Last time I’ll ever have someone else work on the car. Now anyone know of a quick fix, thinking of using a rubber pool plug for now. Well it’s time for a new one, gotta start hunting for the nearest dealer.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Take pics and save evidence. Then go back to the guy who did the work, and present him with your repair bills (elsewhere) and other expenses. I'd also consider having the car towed elsewhere to have a neutral service center do the repair, so that you have an unbiased opinion as documentation, even though it's obvious. Really sucks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I’m off the road for a while, I changed my oil today and the oil pan plug is stripped. Leaking oil like a waterfall. SUCKS! Last time I’ll ever have someone else work on the car. Now anyone know of a quick fix, thinking of using a rubber pool plug for now. Well it’s time for a new one, gotta start hunting for the nearest dealer.
Somebody posted on here that a plug for a Dodge truck is the same thread size but slightly longer so it will engage the good threads that are left.

Have to do a search...

EDIT:

Found it. Very last post:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/stripped-oil-pan-plug-24460/index4.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Advance auto has a rubber plug that's made for stripped pans. (about 6 bucks). I think it is more of a temporary fix until you can get it done right. Look up " time- sert" for a permanent fix without changing your pan.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
IIRC, after installing the longer truck plug he (Jimvw57) only did topside oil changes and did not try to take out the plug again.

·
Registered
493 Posts
worse case .. there is a plug available its rubber and has a bolt made right in it with a washer and a wing nut. I have used this for a couple of cars as a get it home fix... works on stripped out (no threads at all) insert- tighten- forget ... sizes vary from 3/8ths 10mm all the way up 6 inch.. the bolt pulls the rubber down against the washer and makes a fat-tite fit thats removable...
I have fixed many things with these, from stripped pans, pipes, boats, and most recently a clean out for a septic system (broken cast iron) with great success...
you can get them through Mcmaster Carr.. or True Value..
something to consider if you ever get in a pickle...

steveg.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
I put over 40K miles on my dodge truck plugged oil pan with no problems, until I lost a valve, but I believe I had been having trouble with that valve for quite awhile as it would act up in colder weather long before the drain plug problem. I remembered about the dodge plug and used the quick change place's computer to go on here and find the information. They knew they messed up and were more than happy to let me find a fix on a Sunday with my car stranded in their shop. Have not been back since....

The topsider oil extractor has been doing the job for some time now and it is much cleaner and just as easy to change oil without having to crawl underneath and mess with that darn drain plug. The Fumoto drain valve is a good idea too. Been thinking I may go with that , but I already have the topsider, ....

I have used those rubber plugs in the past but not sure about one on a smart. The oil pickup is just after the drain plug and you will need to make sure the rubber plug doesn't block that. atch the length of the rubber plug if you end up using one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts