Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I am writing my Smart car story as a five page essay for college. This paper will fully (or at the most part) describe my Smart car experience in my life. If you want to read it, you can. It won't be done until tomorrow. I will post it here for all of you readers that like to read inspirational stories. Have a great day!
Sincerely,
Brett

·
Registered
833 Posts
Only 5 pages? I would have to leave so much out to cram it all into 5 pages. Not to mention the pages and pages of pictures! (see my gallery) I'm guessing you have not had your smart that long to fit it in 5 pages :) Can't wait to read it.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't need to cram it into 5 pages. Of course I am going to go over and maybe post some awesome pictures. My professor once told me that the best essays are always the shortest to prevent rambling on, but I like to do that about my Smart car. I had my Smart car since the day it was shipped and was one of the first Smart car owners in Connecticut.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
My college writing days are behind me, but I did put together a little video of my smart story after the first year. I'll probably update it after my two year anniversary in Sep.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My Smart car passion did not happen overnight. The process to owning a Smart car and knowing how much I do today was a fun yet long and painstaking process to getting to the point where I own one and become so knowledgeable about the Smart car. When I first started looking at the Smart car, they were not even planning to bring the Smart car to the United States. As of today, my dream of owning my passion has turned into a reality.

It all started with my joy of scooters. Every day, I would browse the internet for this cool gas scooter that I could drive around that had a headlight on it and a storage compartment. Since my old scooter broke because I revved the gas and hit the brake which broke my discontinued scooter, I was determined to buy another better one. I was looking for a scooter that had power and was the fastest rated scooter. This was back when I was about nine years old. A few months later of printing off papers of scooter and carrying them around so I could look at them, I begged my mother to help my buy this scooter. She said “it is too expensive. Save your money for a car.” I didn’t want a car, I wanted a cool scooter that I could drive around the streets and visit my friends. As I was looking for a cheaper scooter, I came across ZAP. ZAP was a scooter manufacturer that gave me a glimpse into my Smart car life.

The ZAP scooter page had a Smart car as their emblem with ZAP written in blue all over the car. I was immediately hooked at the amazing look of the car. Needing to know what kind of car this was, I immediately forgot all about my scooters and looked up unique cars. I had a strong feeling that this car was not made in America because I have never seen one of them before so I looked at unique European cars. These cars were amazingly popular in Europe, but surprisingly, it took me a solid two hours to actually begin to find information about this car. Finding the name, I searched Smart cars in America to find nothing at all except people wanting Smart cars to come to America. I had a feeling that I was the strongest advocate for the Smart car to come to America, but I knew that I was not alone in wanting this car. From that day on, I would search for countless hours on the internet learning more and more about the Smart car, visiting every countries different dealerships to see the pictures of the Smart car and using translation engines to transcribe whole threads in different languages pertaining to the Smart car. Since my birthday, I have received many Barnes and Noble gift cards. These gift cards would sit on my desk in a pile (I guess somebody thought I liked to read) until I did a search on Barnes and Noble about the Smart car. I saw numerous European books on the Smart car so I knew I had to buy all of the books I saw about the Smart car.

The books were my first insight about the car that was to make my world rotate on a different axis. Since these books had the entire history on the Smart car and the struggle that Smart had to get off the ground and the numerous deals manufacturers had along with the story of how they almost went out of business completely, I was inspired even more to have my own. This car would be more than a statement, but a long and dramatic history of its creation and its amazing timeline. Since Smart USA only had a small website with a few stories here and there about the Smart car, the majority of the time, one would find me in my room under the covers reading the books that I bought from Barnes and Noble over and over again with a total of three times each in between getting the books to when my car came. I was so obsessed over the Smart car at this time that I threw away all of my gas scooter papers and deleted all of the saved pages I had on the internet about gas scooters. My background was replaced from a gas scooter to a beautiful red and black Smart car.

After the changes in my life started to occur, I knew that I had to order merchandise to show my allegiance and to support the cause to get a Smart car. It all stated on this website called Ebay. There, I ordered a Smart car polo shirt with a Smart car emblem on the right side of the shirt. After my mother saw that I was dedicated to a car finally, she wanted to know more about the car herself. My mother was the first Land Rover owner in Connecticut so she liked how unique the car was and since she was into unique cars since she currently owns a Triumph Spitfire 1500, she was on my side into getting the car, especially since it was a convertible.

Now, the challenge was to convince the rest of my family that the Smart was to be a part of my life. Before my Smart car craze, I was looking at the Prius and was planning to convert it to a Lithium Ion electric vehicle and have the gas engine run on corn ethanol. Since the price range was unbelievable, my grandfather told me to get a cheap car like the Toyota Yaris and I told him I would rather go back to looking at gas scooters than look at that. My father, who never budges from his position, told me to get a used car because when I drive it to school it is going to get dinged up anyway by other reckless students. I didn’t want a used car that somebody else abused so I politely rejected his idea. As I revealed my plan to get a Smart car to my family, I knew somebody would think the car is too unsafe. My father vehemently rejected the fact I was going to get a death trap. My mother supported me and my grandmother and grandfather fully supported my idea. My ailing grandfather, so pleased in how I am as his grandson, put all eighteen thousand dollars in my hands to purchase my far upfront instead of paying the car off over time. I thanked him profusely and added that money to by bank to be saved until that big day when I had to pay for my car.

Every day after I received the money for my car, I refreshed the Smart USA website about a hundred times a day to see when their ninety-nine dollar reservation started. The very second they started taking reservations, my parents weren’t home. I started panicking because I knew there was going to be a wait depending on my position in line. I called her at her dog grooming job and asked her where her credit card was so I could reserve my car and she told me the location of her Visa. It was at this point I chose the color I wanted and placed my reservation. I was so excited that my Smart car was about to become a reality that I printed out the reservation receipt and taped it to my mirror in my room.

The anxiety at this point was building so strong it was hard to hold my emotions so I continued to read. I saw on Smart USA that they had a tour going across the country with the Smart cars to give potential car buyers an opportunity to drive the car of their dreams. I was enthralled and immediately made a paper chain going across my room counting down the days of the tour. As the final day came, my grandmother and grandfather drove me to the Smart car location. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time getting there, often acting as a backseat driver yelling at my grandmother so swerve around these slow drivers. As we arrived, I was excitedly running around the Smart cars, going in the trailer that showed the crash video explaining to my grandparents how safe the car was. In fact, I was so knowledgeable at this point in my life; I was explaining to a group of about ten people how they did the test and why the Smart car was so safe. At the end of telling everybody for a good ten minutes as to why the car was safe, I went outside to sit in a Smart car. I was sitting in a Smart car for so long in awe I think people waiting outside to sit in the car were getting annoyed. It was at this point that a Smart car representative told me he overheard me talking about the safety of the Smart car and told me to work for Smart as a representative and I thanked him profusely and then told him one day I will take him up on that offer.

Then, I waited patiently in line to get a ride in my future Smart car. The driver of the car got up on the highway and I couldn’t believe it was so peppy and fun even to be just a passenger. I did more talking to get informing her about the design of the car than she did explaining to me all of the benefits of the car because I already knew all of the benefits of the car. As I got out, she told me never to give up on my Smart passion because it is such a fun car and so unique that you will always have fun thinking of this car.

After a great deal of waiting along with multiple video looks and searches on the internet forums, the day of delivery was finally upon me. Since I thought the delivery status was not right, I called my newly setup Smart center every day. They became so upset at me, but I didn’t care. Finally, I called and they told me they were unloading my car from the truck and I started to build excitement to a whole new level. Since I didn’t go pick it up because my mother was going to pick it up on her way home, I waited outside for a few hours to wait for her to pull up in the driveway with my car. As it pulled in, I was screaming and jumping with excitement that I almost dropped my camera. I took so many pictures and just say in my car for two bars on the gas meter enjoying the car that was now going to be mine and thanked god for helping me be this happy.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I drive my car like I stole it because it is such a fun car to drive. When I started driving placed, the car was so new that whenever I stepped out of the car, I would have to talk for about ten minutes about the car to people that asked me about the car. I felt like a star with my car. One day, after getting gasoline and driving home, this older gentleman did not see me crossing the intersection and he collided with me in his Ford Focus at about thirty five miles per hour. I stated shaking and crying knowing my car could forever be damaged beyond repair. His car was so damaged that his frame bent his door in so he had to struggle to get out of the car while I got out of my car to help him, I saw that the accident gave him a broken hand. The officers, paramedics, and firemen were surprised because they thought I would be the one that needed saving and they all thought that they would need to use the Jaws of Life to get me out. I then had to tell all of them about the car and then, they were interested in one and all thanked me for the information that I provided them. As I saw the car being taken away on the truck, it looked so sad because I felt like it knew that my car saved my life and I was repaying it by taking it away. I had to take an anti-depressant because it was such a devastating moment in my life that it was hard to know my newly acquired car was sitting in a dump lot somewhere waiting for Smart to take it and fix it. After months of back and forth visits and phone calls to the repair center, I was finally able to drive my car home. The total cost of fixing my car for the old gentleman was eleven thousand dollars. To this day, I am still scared of crossing that intersection, but now, I am worried about rear collisions.

On my way home from my summer job, it was raining hard out. As I was going to make a left, this quickly moving truck behind me started slamming his brakes to stop his truck. Sadly, he didn’t stop in time and slammed into my rear bumper. This idiot was a dumb teenager with his girlfriend. He wanted to pay out of pocket, but I called the cops to get his information since I didn’t trust him. That accident set my car back three weeks and him about one thousand dollars. Thankfully, I am back on the road again.

The best part of my car now was that I could tell people how safe it was and have firsthand experience in knowing how safe my car really was. Now feeling comfortable that I had some money to spend, I purchased a radio for my car and had my local shop install it for me. Now, I am looking to really treat my car with some aftermarket parts to make her breathe better, but as of now, I am doing my research on forums and talking to other Smart car owners and Smart car gurus on this website called Smart Car of America where I was able to discover people that were as passionate or more passionate about this car than I was. I am so glad to talk to all of these incredible people that have helped me and have given me guidance in what to and what not to do with my car. The wealth of knowledge coming from these great people has no boundaries and I am glad that I can contribute any way I can to others that might want to hear information that I have. This knowledge has helped me in my talks to others about the car and has helped me influence people in choosing the right car if they were to search for another car to purchase. I hope one day to become a Smart car worker as a salesman.

One time, when talking to the people in my Smart car dealership, a customer walked in to get more information about the car. My friend that was helping the person did not know the answer to a question so he told the customers to talk to me, which really flattered me. After helping his customers, he told me that I was the most knowledgeable person on the Smart car he has ever known and he told me that if I ever needed a job, just give him a call. Also, the owner of the Smart Center told me a similar story as what my salesman told me so I really feel confident that I may one day work there.

Down the street, there is a local Sunday car show that I go to every Sunday of the year and talk to people about my Smart car. I have a box of brochures sitting on my car and my own homemade trifold brochure about the car. People really surround my car more than any other car in the lot which surprised me. I gave my friend at the Smart center a call and he told me that I alone sold about a dozen Smart cars just by talking to people and giving out information. He thanked me greatly for giving them his information as he was the one who dealt with everybody I referred to. I then bought three more Smart car shirts, a hat, two pens, floor mats, custom car decals, and a key chain. Today, I a fully submerged into the Smart car name because my Smart car is such a large part in my lift that I can never let it go.

Today, I am so happy that I stumbled upon the Smart car at an early stage and I am so glad I did not go with the Prius. It was a strong uphill battle to get where I am today; with the two accidents I was in and the dislike of the car by my father, but these small bumps in the road were nothing to all of the positives in my Smart life which makes owning a Smart car and knowing everything about it worth it. Customizing my car really helped me to bring out my inner self and how people how I feel about the car just by its’ looks. There is an emblem on the side of the car that says passion. This emblem may be small, but to me, it represents how passionate I am towards my car and my forever passion that I will have for my car. I am a dedicated Smart car enthusiast and that is how I would like to live for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nice story, but let's all hope the teacher doesn't take off for spelling... "smart" is spelled with a lower case "s".....:)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Good essay. Hope you ace the class

Please keep us informed as to your grade on this.
Anything less than an A and we can gang up on the prof to change it?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys. You are right though, the S should have been lower cased. I will keep you all informed as to the grade.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Great story. If you can you many want to throw a blank line in-between each paragraph just for ease reading sake if you can. :wink: Once again, great story and let us know how you do. :wink: I like the lower case "S" but for this assignment I would capitalize too. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts