Smart Car of America Forum banner

Immobilizer Issue (450)

53K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
I have a 450 Smart, there is some problem with its key due to which i am unable to deactivate the Immobilizer.

Can Some one tell me if there is a possibily of Bypassing the Immobilizer.

#3 ·
Well, I guess You needn´t to bypass it. The immobilizer of the Smart is working a little bit outstanding. If You was outside the car some minutes without the doors were closed by the key, the immobilizer automatically is getting started. To start the enginge, You have to use the "closing door" button and after that the "opening door button", but meanwhile this the key has to be outside of the lock. That´s all, than put the key back into the lock and start Your engine.

Peter

#6 ·
Can Some one tell me if there is a possibily of Bypassing the Immobilizer.
Short answer:
No, there is no way other than the key buttons to bypass the immobilizer. You must activate/deactivate the immobilizer by pressing the key fob buttons as Peter describes.

Longer answer:
If what you are saying, Irfan, is that correctly pressing the buttons still does not work, you will have to take the car to an authorized smart centre to repair this failure. They may have to get you a new key and code it to communicate properly with the car's computer, or re-code your present key(s). If you have two keys, take them both as they will both need to be re-coded in the same way.

The reason I asked whether the key with which you are trying to deactivate the immobilizer does properly operate the door locks, is that if it does not, you can try replacing the battery. If it does open and close the door locks but does not work the immobilizer, that is very unusual. You could try opening the plastic fob case and check the button contacts have not become worn or corroded.

However, it will likely mean a trip to the dealer, a wait of perhaps a day or two for them to get codes sent to them from Germany, and a surprising cost that will not please you.

If it is not the key codes, it is possible your car's computer program has become corrupted and you may have to have the dealer over-write the car's computer with a fresh program.

All this is presuming that you have a dealer with the required Mercedes Star diagnostic and computer equipment not too far from your location in Sialkot.

Regards and good luck. let us know how you get on, cousin.

Bil :cool:

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Happy New Year's Eve 2010 from a new member.

As I just posted to a similar thread (regarding someone's "SAM unit & key nightmare"),
I have a similar problem in that I have 2 keys that can no longer communicate with the SAM unit (or immobilizer) on my 2003 Pulse.

I apparently took too long to install fresh batteries in the key fobs and now all they do is make the tail lights flash, but I cannot start the car or lock it with the fobs.

The local Smart dealer cannot fix the programming as his electronic gear will only work with the newer models (mine is a "grey-market" conversion). Neither can the local Mercedes dealer, whose gear won't read Smarts at all, nor can the local German specialty repair shop.

My original dealer can fix it, but I'd have to have the car towed all the way to Bellingham WA from Portland OR.

Is there anyway I can re-boot the car's brain so it will remember the original codes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.