Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's certainly a bunch of *****ing and moaning about the accessibility...availability...and cost of service & repairs for your Smart Car!

So let's dig a bit deeper into this situation!

1) So...what year is your Smart...it is still in factory warranty...what is your current mileage...and are you the original owner?

2) Do you return your Smart to a Smart/Mercedes Dealership for service & repairs?

3) If you don't service/repair your Smart at a Smart/Mercedes Dealership...where do you take it for service...or do perform your own repair & maintenance chores?

4) Do you follow the factory service recommendation's & time intervals?

5) If you buy parts & accessories for your Smart...where do you purchase them...at a Smart Center...online...other parts or tire stores...etc?

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Smart Passion Coupe is a '13 with 2,400 miles...still within the 4year/50,000 warranty period...I'm the original owner...this is my 3rd Smart purchase...

I return my Smart to the Smart Center for service...I change oil every 6 months/3,000 miles...and follow all other recommended service guidelines...

I install all my accessories myself...

I buy most of my parts and accessories online...usually eBay...some are purchased from a Smart/Mercedes Center...others are purchased from independent Smart accessory vendors...

I purchased my ceramic dustless front brake pads from O'reilly's Auto Parts...

·
17,349 Posts
I'd say make a legit poll, much easier to track. :)

Anyway...

1. 2012, in factory warranty, 37.5k miles, 1st owner.

2. Only for warranty repairs.

3. Maintain it myself in my garage...anything I can do myself or anything that won't be covered under warranty...

4. I built my own cabin filter, but usually yes. And yes for time.

5. The smart centre for some factory stuff, Smart Madness, this forum, and eBay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1. 2010 passion coupe, no warranty, 15.500 miles - purchased used in late September with 11,008 miles on it.
2. I haven't had to have any service done yet, probably won't go to SmartCenter unless it requires the Star system to do.
3. Oil changes I'll do myself, brakes I'll do; beyond that, probably have the local shop I've been using for years do it. They said they've done some work on a couple of other smarts.
4. I plan on doing the oil changes every 5,000; the rest will probably more or less follow the manual.
5. Autozone or O'Reilly for a lot of parts, WalMart for oil, online for others' like the Fumoto valve I'm planning in getting.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
1) 2008. 148K miles. Yes, I am the original owner.

2) I wouldn't let the local morons(Indy) touch my car with a 10 foot pole...

3) All work done right in my own garage.

4) I change oil every 5K, do all regular inspections at that time. I've never changed brake fluid, and I've never done the valve check. I do give it a good dose of MMO in the tank once every oil change, and in the oil once a year.

5) Varies, I've bought from Smart Madness, ebay, and local parts stores.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
1) 08-Passion w/60,000m original owner
2) No
3) If I can do it I will. If not I would go to dealer, although I have not had to do that yet.
4) No
5) I have bought one part from the dealer, a door lock.
Accessories from various vendors.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
1) '09 Brabus coupe, warranty long gone.
2)original owner with 3648 miles
3)one warranty trip to dealer to replace Brabus gas door decal that fell off. New one fell off again a week later. I reglued it and no more issues.
4)Do all my own work in my garage.
5) Full service and oil change once a year or 1000 miles. Usually about 700 miles.
6) I have bought parts and accessories from many sources including dealer.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
1 - 2008 and out of warranty.
2 - I take my Smart to the dealer service center, for me it is the Ray Catena Service Center which is really nice.
3 - I do take it to the dealer for service. :)
4 - I take it in when the service wrench shows.
5 - I buy Smart things at the dealer, and Smart Madness.

So far, I have had to do little maintenance with my little car and usually it is just routine items when it is done. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
'08, 69,5xxx miles, second owner
Took it to dealer (more than 200 miles away) once, when clutch actuator failed.
Won't happen again.
Haven't needed outside help for maintenance yet, but when that day comes, I'll surf for the cheapest factory part, scour the forum to find the correct method, and save gas, time, and piles of cash

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
1)..09...no...43K....yes
1)..12...yes...14K...yes

2)..no on both cars
3)..shade tree garage
4)..no on both cars
5)..push me off that bridge when we get to it..

jetfuel...next..

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
1) So...what year is your Smart...it is still in factory warranty...what is your current mileage...and are you the original owner?

2009 smart pure, not under factory warranty.

2) Do you return your Smart to a Smart/Mercedes Dealership for service & repairs?

Never go there, see #3.

3) If you don't service/repair your Smart at a Smart/Mercedes Dealership...where do you take it for service...or do perform your own repair & maintenance chores?

Smart Madness

Yes !!!

5) If you buy parts & accessories for your Smart...where do you purchase them...at a Smart Center...online...other parts or tire stores...etc?

I always go to Smart Madness for everything.

Given that they are local to me, WHY would I go elsewhere?

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
301 Posts

08. No. 54000 miles. Second owner

Only maintenance I didn't feel I could do. Brake bleed, coolant flush, soon to come valve inspection

Everything else has been on my own except an alignment

Yes, Except 6000 mile oil changes ( not sure why I picked that :rolleyes: )

eBay almost entirely.

·
Registered
787 Posts
1) year: 2009 Passion - factory warranty: No - current mileage 48k - original owner? No. I bought a repo

2) recalls/TSBs Yes, otherwise No

3) Kuni Auto Center in Beaverton, OR (former smart center Portland - under PAG)

4) Yes

5) online

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gotta agree that this should be more poll-like. The aggregated numbers would be interesting, but I'm too lazy to compile them. :)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
1. 2009 - 53K miles - Original owner
2. 1 warranty trip to dealer to replace clutch.
3. I do my own work (BUT..IF I need a guy...have a good independent :D)
4. Oil change every 5K with MMO and use MMO every 3rd fill up.
5. Varies, a few from "stealership", Smart Madness, Ebay and members here :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
'13 Pure
11,xxx miles.
No repairs have been needed.
It's under warranty
Only accesories insatlled have been a trailer hitch and Boeschbuilt armrest. Both installed by me.
Oil change every 6k or so and I do it. I keep receipts and log in glove box.
Warranty work if needed will likely go to Euro Motor Cars in Germantown. That's where I bought it and they seem to have a good rep.
Otherwise I do my own work. Never had much luck with dealers in general.

I haven't owned many vehicles that were left stock for long. Mostly trucks that have been upgraded to suit my uses for them.

Funny thing is I really don't feel the need to tweak the Smart much. For the role it plays it's pretty good as is. That's why I bought it. Also it's a lease so not real inclined to do anything that may be a pain to return to stock if I don't end up keeping it. I may eventually add fog lights and upgrade the stereo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts