Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
mostly otherwise! LOL

really depends on your state, and how big of a risk you are willing to take since neither the roadster, nor the CDI can legally be imported into the US

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually, there are a couple of ways to legally own a Cdi in the US. Just takes a little bit of reading and then throw some money at the problems that crop up.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Actually, there are a couple of ways to legally own a Cdi in the US. Just takes a little bit of reading and then throw some money at the problems that crop up.
Sorry, without a million bucks, you simply can't do it legally. Do MORE reading and you'll see that it's VERY hard to do properly (stupid, but it's reality).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually, I don't have to read up on it. I have had my 2005 Cdi for quite sometime now and it works GREAT. I have the title paperwork for my state and the proper paperwork from when it was sold brand new in 2005 and the orginal owner paperwork. It did not take a million dollars to do, I have read up on the ownership of a Canadian car in the US, maybe you should read a little more before saying it can't be done, I did, and there are up to 18 Cdi in the US that are "known".:)

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Ah, but is it fully compliant with U.S. EPA and DOT regs and was it legally imported into the USA. Since G&K didn't import any diesel smarts I'm guessing the answers are no. :)

PS - as the owner of a "1976" Spi Mini I know these cars make it into the U.S., but not through official channels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, to "All the Above"..........My CDi did not come in thru G&K, I'm not a importer or a car builder. Again, I read thru the ways you can import a Canadian car, I have no idea of how to import a European car.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I understand Canadian cars that are the same as their American counterparts (Dodge, Chevy, Ford) can be imported relatively easily - H7 form plus letter of compliance from the manufacturer. Since the 450 cdi was never certified and imported by M-B into the USA, please share with us exactly what was involved in getting this car into the USA as "fully compliant" with all the rules and regs. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Exactly, WA state, surprisingly (since I'm from there originally and know how anal (oops , can I say that?) they can be), let you register the car, but it isn't compliant with the EPA, not DOT (federal agencies). I strongly suggest you just keep it on the down-low and not post to an open forum that you are driving a non-compliant car... just as a matter of policy. They probably won't do anything about it... but you never know.

Actually, the Mini is cool, since it's 25 years old or older it's exempt from DOT and EPA regulations!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any update on importing diesel Smarts to US?
I log in here, becouse I can buy nice 2006 Smart cdi and after making about 30 calls to dealers, Bureau of Automotive Repairs, Air Quality Bureau and so on, the only possible option was a company who used to do conversions for about $12,000.
I drive diesel Mercedeses in California for almost 20 years and know the technology, but hard to cut red bureaucratic tape.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts