Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Smart electric in to my dealer who is 160 miles away. I was given a gas 2015 Passion 451 as a loaner. First time I had driven the gas version and it left me with a few impressions.

The good - I was quite impressed with how the car handled and rode at 75 to 80 mph. It feels like a bigger car and kept up nicely with traffic.

Minor annoyances - wind noise above 60 mph - sounds like it is coming from each door. Rattle in the cluster/dash area, particularly noticeable when accelerating. Exhaust sounds a bit noisy, almost like there is a hole in it already which is unlikely.

Major learning experience needed - I really need a lesson on how to drive this thing from a stop. The car is an automatic, but has the paddles on the steering wheel. As I said above, the car was great once I was up to speed, but from a dead start or at very low speeds, the transmission and pickup was pretty jerky and annoying. There is no owner's manual with the car and I'll only have it a few days, but I'd sure like to get it figured out before I take it back. Any input appreciated.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Mine smart ICE, was good for 8 years.

OP, Why worry about learning to drive a ICE loaner? Finding fault in one too. You ED has doesn't have the driving range of a ICE.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Just drive like you stole it, you won't have The Loaner long enough to learn (or care about) the idiosyncrasies of the 451 auto shift tranny.

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine smart ICE, was good for 8 years.

OP, Why worry about learning to drive a ICE loaner? Finding fault in one too. You ED has doesn't have the driving range of a ICE.
Geez, some people are awfully touchy. I wasn't finding fault with the ICE. I was stating some facts. The wind noise would likely be evident in my electric too if I ever drove it over 60 mph, since it's the same car. The dash noise would be fixable I assume under warranty. The transmission shifting is most likely operator error or ignorance of how to drive it. I wasn't complaining about it. If you read my entire post, you would see how impressed I was with the car at highway speeds.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just drive like you stole it, you won't have The Loaner long enough to learn (or care about) the idiosyncrasies of the 451 auto shift tranny.
I did find that it is more pleasant to just stomp on it from a stop and once at cruising speed, it is great. I just wanted to know for my own benefit how this thing is supposed to be driven, what the paddles do and how they work. There are also at least two positions, i.e. left and right, for the shifter knob. I know that the way it drove for me from a stop at slow speeds can't be typical or optimum, otherwise there would be a lot of *****ing from owners.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
There are also at least two positions, i.e. left and right, for the shifter knob.
Shifter knob L/R takes you from auto to paddles, same can be done by pulling up on the right paddle.

May want to experiment at lower speeds so you minimize the surprise.

As you and Kamaal suggest, mashing the pedal and feathering a lift at the shift point makes things more "acceptable."

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Everytime I've ever driven my 451 I've had the radio on, it just a habit of mine. After almost a year I drove it the other day with the radio off and the first thing I noticed was the wind noise above about 55 mph. It seemed to be coming from the front of the windshield and I was concerned because I changed out the roof for a panoramic one myself. But it doesn't leak so I guess it's normal. Second I noticed the exhaust noise and thought I may have a leak, just like you thought. Thanks for sharing. Now I know it's both normal. I don't have shift paddles, but I just kind of feel it and I know when it's gonna shift and I lift my foot and let it shift and then I ease back on the gas and you can do it seamlessly and it won't dive or lurch. It becomes natural to do and it's fun too or at least I pretend it's fun. DCO

·
Registered
271 Posts
I liked the 451 tranny until I got pedal mapping...now I love it! I ignore the paddles, driving it like a true automatic and I don't try to force shifts with my right foot. Instead, I use steady, smooth pressure on the accelerator. The result is much smoother shifting.

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
Instead, I use steady, smooth pressure on the accelerator. The result is much smoother shifting.
Interesting, have had pedal mapping for so long now that I must take for granted the dramatically improved shifting.

Got a 451 ICE loaner when I took ED in for service, was promptly reminded of all that bad press the tranny gets.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,571 Posts
I liked the 451 tranny until I got pedal mapping...now I love it! I ignore the paddles, driving it like a true automatic and I don't try to force shifts with my right foot. Instead, I use steady, smooth pressure on the accelerator. The result is much smoother shifting.
Did you get the GoPedal from Smart Madness or use the mapping on an aftermarket cruise control?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts